• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Notice A Major Slowdown in the Mail?
4 4

163 posts in this topic

I too am noticing an extra 2 to 3 days on mail deliveries. Tracking that just says packages are moving through the USPS system or something like that.

There is something going on with USPS. No politics here. But many cities are encouraging vote by mail as they should be with this virus situation. There should be official drop off boxes too. When I vote in person, I would go early anyway. Almost 100% of the time, I'm like in the first 5 or 10 people.

So something US people should do:

go to usps and sign up for informed delivery. No longer will you wonder about tracking numbers not being provided. Once your address is on record, parcels going to you automatically show up.

also you can sign up for e signature and never have to sign for a package in person again 

I had a package arrive in the San Diego area finally after 2 1/2 weeks from North Carolina USPS. 

Sent from the Charlotte area and traveled to the Greensboro hub as normal.  Made it out to Los Angeles in a timely fashion but then did a detour and came all the way back to Jacksonville, Florida where it sat for 6 days.  Finally, it headed out west to San Francisco then to LA again, then to San Diego then finally to the customer in Escondido, CA.

I went thru half a bottle of Dramamine during the trip.

i grew up when back in the day mail always took much longer ,... sometimes it took six months to get something from a catalog ,... but it always finally showed up !!

today's "instant gratification" crowd need to realize,.. and they will realize when they get older that one month is not a long time.. neither is two months ... i wish that it were true that one month is a long time but it is not , it is a very brief period and it flies by ....

The USPS is under extremely challenging times these days , although letter delivery has dropped to near nothing, parcel delivery has exploded.. but still not enough to pay the bills...

the USPS is saddled with an enormous legacy cost which could have easily been bailed out if not for the virus, heck i heard the post office is 7 billion in debt , .. well we just printed 3000 billion (1000 billion= 1 trillion) so the paltry 7 billion of post office debt should have been eliminated so we could have that important Govt entity solvent and back on it's feet !

also the post office has basically stopped hiring career employees, they only hire part time or temp workers which receive probably half the benefits and wages as full time and no pension

not much motivation to do a good job when you are working side by side with an older employee who makes twice as much as you do for doing the same thing ..

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/us/politics/trump-usps-mail-delays.html?action=click&algo=top_conversion&block=trending_recirc&fellback=false&imp_id=3254847&impression_id=aec9fee9-d405-11ea-a959-c5fed075fb7e&index=9&pgtype=Article&region=footer&req_id=222957073&surface=most-popular

they are no longer paying overtime, and other costs associated with making sure things are delivered when they are supposed to be. this accounts for at least some of the ridiculous delays happening now. 

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i grew up when back in the day mail always took much longer ,... sometimes it took six months to get something from a catalog ,... but it always finally showed up !!

today's "instant gratification" crowd need to realize,.. and they will realize when they get older that one month is not a long time.. neither is two months ... i wish that it were true that one month is a long time but it is not , it is a very brief period and it flies by ....

So did I. I sent for everything I could get for a dime or a cereal box top! I have plenty of patience. 

But when a I hear mail is being held up or manipulated on purpose for “other” reasons, it is VERY disturbing. 

Hey, we have to wait for comic books. There are people who have to wait for prescriptions and medicine. This is inexcusable and needs to stop. 

In addition to slow delivery, I have also noticed a lot of damage as well. I have taken to add insurance to a lot of packages I send out. In 40+ years of dealing through the mail, I have only lost 2 packages. But times are different now. 

2 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

The USPS is under extremely challenging times these days , although letter delivery has dropped to near nothing, parcel delivery has exploded.. but still not enough to pay the bills...

the USPS is saddled with an enormous legacy cost which could have easily been bailed out if not for the virus, heck i heard the post office is 7 billion in debt , .. well we just printed 3000 billion (1000 billion= 1 trillion) so the paltry 7 billion of post office debt should have been eliminated so we could have that important Govt entity solvent and back on it's feet !

also the post office has basically stopped hiring career employees, they only hire part time or temp workers which receive probably half the benefits and wages as full time and no pension

not much motivation to do a good job when you are working side by side with an older employee who makes twice as much as you do for doing the same thing ..

True and very sad. My postman and the folks at the two post offices I mail out of are great people and serve me very well. Not everybody in this system deserves a bad rap. 

Shipped a package by priority to someone who lives about 45 minutes away on 7/23. Has yet to arrive....last scan was 7/27. At what point do you get insurance involved? It’s an expensive piece of art but was packed very securely.

8 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Shipped a package by priority to someone who lives about 45 minutes away on 7/23. Has yet to arrive....last scan was 7/27. At what point do you get insurance involved? It’s an expensive piece of art but was packed very securely.

I’d hang in s little while. Very slow as they say here. Frankly, at 45 minutes away,  I would meet the person in the middle somewhere for hand delivery on an expensive piece. (shrug)

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

What I notice most is that I hardly get much mail anymore , years ago our mailbox would be full ever day😷☹️☹️😷

Me too. Mostly junk mail. But I do get a few checks and bills. I think this is a big part of the problem for the Post Office. Having a monopoly on first class letter kept them solvent when people were mailing a lot. Now with a lot of competition for parcels and the internet, they are floundering. That, and continued bad management as well as what is now going on...

• Jul 25, 2020 4:24pm
  • DELIVERED IN/AT MAILBOX
  • ALLEN, TX 75002
  • Jul 25, 2020 7:10am
  • OUT FOR DELIVERY
  • ALLEN, TX 75002
  • Jul 25, 2020 2:58am
  • ARRIVAL AT UNIT
  • ALLEN, TX 75013
  • Jul 24, 2020 1:42pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 24, 2020 1:40pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 24, 2020 1:36pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 24, 2020 2:12am
  • PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 21, 2020 8:59pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 21, 2020 8:53pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • COPPELL, TX 75099
  • Jul 21, 2020
  • 7:59pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 21, 2020 7:54pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 21, 2020 5:12pm
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 21, 2020 1:11pm
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 20, 2020 5:10pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 20, 2020 8:26am
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75260
  • Jul 20, 2020 6:21am
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75398
  • Jul 20, 2020 3:39am
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75398
  • Jul 19, 2020 6:14pm
  • DALLAS, TX 75398
  • Jul 15, 2020 7:33pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75398
  • Jul 15, 2020 1:17pm
  • ARRIVE USPS FACILITY
  • DALLAS, TX 75398
  • Jul 14, 2020 9:52pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DES MOINES, IA 50395
  • Jul 14, 2020 9:35pm
  • DEPART USPS FACILITY
  • DES MOINES, IA 50395
  • Jul 14, 2020
  • 9:17pm
  • DES MOINES, IA 50395
  • Jul 13, 2020 1:03pm
  • Departed Post Office
  • GALLIPOLIS, OH 45631
  • Jul 13, 2020 12:45pm
  • USPS picked up item
  • GALLIPOLIS, OH 45631
  • Jul 13, 2020 12:45pm
  • PICKED UP
  • GALLIPOLIS, OH 45631
  • Jul 11, 2020 6:47pm
  • Tracking number provided

This one took a while, and it was a first class package/postage.

Edited by jharvey

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I’d hang in s little while. Very slow as they say here. Frankly, at 45 minutes away,  I would meet the person in the middle somewhere for hand delivery on an expensive piece. (shrug)

I offerred. But schedules didn’t line up.