• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Else Notice A Major Slowdown in the Mail?
4 4

163 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I have to take the other side on USPS. In over 40 years dealing through the mail, my track record has been overall excellent. I have only lost one package. (4 with UPS). Had a couple damaged but because of poor packaging. Considering the thousands of packages I’ve either sent out or received. And considering the huge amount of mail they deal with every day, it is remarkable. 

I use two local post offices and found the people behind the counters very friendly and helpful. My mail carrier is also a very friendly and dedicated guy. Had a conversation with him a few years ago. He always rings my doorbell and stashes my packages out of sight behind a planter. 

The Post Office has always been run poorly. And, with what they are currently having to deal with is disgraceful and wrong. All you got to do is to talk to Post Office employees off the record to find out the real skinny. 

Mail, other than priority has been running a lot slower. But I am still getting safe delivery just takes more time.

FedX and DHL simply are not convenient or an option for me. I won’t use UPS under any circumstances. 

no one said there are not nice people working for usps. my last mail carrier was a great guy and i loved him, before i moved. 

but i've never had such a high percentage of trackable packages actually go missing for so long as i have the last 5 months. if you've been reading this thread, you'll notice that MANY PEOPLE have the same thing happening. priority mail 2-3 day packages routinely take 3-4 weeks to arrive. it's not the post office employees' fault. they've been deprived of funding. i've also never had claims from my damaged packages take so long to process, and become bogged down with repetitive demands for the same data i already submitted. it's pretty clear that usps is a mess right now. it still works, but much, much more poorly than at any time in the past. perhaps different cities have different levels of issues. i don't know where you are, but my experience in L.A for ten years was never so bad as this year. that's why i refuse to use them for valuable packages and why i suggest others avoid them too. i'm glad that your experience has been less awful than almost everyone else in this thread.

fyi fedex is perfectly convenient, they will pick up at your door if you have an account (free to open). they just cost more money. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, october said:

Media Mail is extremely slow.

International packages are not moving AT ALL if they go through the San Fran hub. I have one package that's been stuck there for a month and another that's been there for two and a half weeks. 

Well, if the auction pamphlets are any indication, then I would have to say the mail is definitely moving a whole ton slower than they used to.  :gossip:

I used to normally get my auction pamphlets from HA and CC a couple of weeks before I received their actual auction catalogues which are generally a few weeks prior to the end of the auctions.  On thes last set of auctions, they definitely came late as I didn't received the auction pamphlet from HA until a full week AFTER the auction had already finished.  With the CC auction pamphlet, I didn't actually received it UNTIL LAST WEEK when in fact, their auctions ended on the week of August 24th.  :facepalm:

I guess the Heritage one was a bit faster since it was done as Int'l Priority Airmail and mailed out of Twin Cities, MN; while the CC auction pamphlet was done as Priority A Mail out from Malmo, Sweden.  Go figure that one to mail it all the way out from Sweden or I guess it was probably printed up in Sweden to save on costs.  :screwy:  (shrug)

18 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

no one said there are not nice people working for usps. my last mail carrier was a great guy and i loved him, before i moved. 

but i've never had such a high percentage of trackable packages actually go missing for so long as i have the last 5 months. if you've been reading this thread, you'll notice that MANY PEOPLE have the same thing happening. priority mail 2-3 day packages routinely take 3-4 weeks to arrive. it's not the post office employees' fault. they've been deprived of funding. i've also never had claims from my damaged packages take so long to process, and become bogged down with repetitive demands for the same data i already submitted. it's pretty clear that usps is a mess right now. it still works, but much, much more poorly than at any time in the past. perhaps different cities have different levels of issues. i don't know where you are, but my experience in L.A for ten years was never so bad as this year. that's why i refuse to use them for valuable packages and why i suggest others avoid them too. i'm glad that your experience has been less awful than almost everyone else in this thread.

fyi fedex is perfectly convenient, they will pick up at your door if you have an account (free to open). they just cost more money. 

I live in LA too. Yeah, mostly in the past 4 or 5 months have I noticed the most spotty service especially with tracking numbers not being updated. I was told by postal people that they were directed to push Priority Mail through first. First Class, Surface and Media when the Priority is done. Haven’t lost anything but squirmed on a few. 

I actually got two first class packages EARLY last week. Just unpredictable. 

I usually swim in the “shallow end” of the GA pool and rarely sell or receive many real expensive books. I also don’t send anything to Sarasota, although I’ve been meaning to. FedX would probably be a better alternative right now for that. 

Edited by Robot Man

I live in Alabama, 50 miles north of Birmingham, so you have a reference here. I won a set of books and they were put in the mail in Marietta Georgia on the 21st.. The books then went to Atlanta GA on the 23rd. Then on the 24th it went to the Atlanta main hub. 4 hours later it arrived in Birmingham. There it sat until today, the 28th. It then was shipped to Montgomery Alabama, which is about 120 miles south of Birmingham.

Not sure where it is going, but it dang sure isn't getting any closer to me.

heres yet another reason to use fedex as opposed to usps. i had a package recently crushed by fedex which is  rare. i filed a claim online, added a few pics showing the damage. within 2 weeks, got this in the mail. 

usps crunched one of my packages worth and insured for $500 back in may. still no check. just a bunch of BS as they slowly, and repeatedly request documentation that was provided months ago. 

go with fedex when you can people. 

fedex.jpg

13 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

heres yet another reason to use fedex as opposed to usps. i had a package recently crushed by fedex which is  rare. i filed a claim online, added a few pics showing the damage. within 2 weeks, got this in the mail. 

usps crunched one of my packages worth and insured for $500 back in may. still no check. just a bunch of BS as they slowly, and repeatedly request documentation that was provided months ago. 

go with fedex when you can people. 

fedex.jpg

I, on the other hand, receive great service from USPS as opposed to FedEx. In the latter instant, except for one driver, the FedEx drivers, as I have witnessed and complained about to FedEx ad nauseam, launch all packages, including those labeled "Fragile," from the bottom of the steps, or a bit further, onto my porch. Further, anytime that I have had to file a claim with USPS for damages, approximately three times in the past decade, I have only had to provide supporting documentation once to be compensated within about a month.

Yep, USPS Has Slowed down since COVID-19 becomes a factor. I’m all for safety, but maybe they should update their time schedule for deliveries 🤷🏼‍♂️
My recent purchase in the hand of USPS on the 5th Priority due to me no later than Oct. 9th. I understand it’s not the sellers fault, and understand longer delivery times for safety... Frustrating but everyone needs to be patient in these times, and not blame the seller for delayed delivery 👍

A156AF3E-C920-42CE-A7E2-6CC0C6B6D9B1.jpeg

4D15AED7-ECFF-4FDB-8F6B-42FBB57F1FD4.jpeg

Edited by nepatkm

On 9/28/2020 at 5:04 PM, evilskip said:

I live in Alabama, 50 miles north of Birmingham, so you have a reference here. I won a set of books and they were put in the mail in Marietta Georgia on the 21st.. The books then went to Atlanta GA on the 23rd. Then on the 24th it went to the Atlanta main hub. 4 hours later it arrived in Birmingham. There it sat until today, the 28th. It then was shipped to Montgomery Alabama, which is about 120 miles south of Birmingham.

Not sure where it is going, but it dang sure isn't getting any closer to me.

I ordered some shoes that were in Los Angeles, about 100 miles from me. Then they were in Texas. I figured it was just the USPS screwing around delaying packages just because the boss man likes it that way. But then they were delivered to a post office box in Puerto Rico. Still waiting on my replacements

10 hours ago, nepatkm said:

Yep, USPS Has Slowed down since COVID-19 becomes a factor. I’m all for safety, but maybe they should update their time schedule for deliveries 🤷🏼‍♂️
My recent purchase in the hand of USPS on the 5th Priority due to me no later than Oct. 9th. I understand it’s not the sellers fault, and understand longer delivery times for safety... Frustrating but everyone needs to be patient in these times, and not blame the seller for delayed delivery 👍

A156AF3E-C920-42CE-A7E2-6CC0C6B6D9B1.jpeg

4D15AED7-ECFF-4FDB-8F6B-42FBB57F1FD4.jpeg

I totally understand that Covid is having an affect. What I don't understand is the dates supplied. If the package left Brown City on the 5th and arrived in Detroit on the 9th, does that mean the truck was traveling at 5 MPH?

43 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I totally understand that Covid is having an affect. What I don't understand is the dates supplied. If the package left Brown City on the 5th and arrived in Detroit on the 9th, does that mean the truck was traveling at 5 MPH?

Lol -

Looks that way, the package still has to make its way to North Carolina. As of now Tracking has item still in transit, arriving late. 

I just had a package make it to Dallas today and was supposed to be out for delivery

But

At 6:33 am it got "forwarded" saying it's going to a different address or the zipcode was incorrect...

Oye

Seller has no idea but says he's had problems before, I believe him, but am currently waiting twenty minutes to speak to a USPS agent...

Its after 5:30 pm hopefully they're not closed and will eventually pick up?

Crazy times @ADAMANTIUM, hope everything arrives in a timely manner for you. :foryou:

My package was expected on the 8th, 9th at the latest (Priority Mail 2-3 days)... looks like it was hung up in Michigan for a week....

Comic arrived safely, (today on the 13th)..in great condition.. Shipping box looked Mint, so did my comic.. :)

All I ask for in these times, wish the best for your safe/timely delivery. 👍

Edited by nepatkm

40 minutes ago, nepatkm said:

Crazy times @ADAMANTIUM, hope everything arrives in a timely manner for you. :foryou:

My package was expected on the 8th, 9th at the latest (Priority Mail 2-3 days)... looks like it was hung up in Michigan for a week....

Comic arrived safely, in great condition.. Shipping box looked Mint, so did my comic.. :)

All I ask for in these times, wish the best for your safe/timely delivery. 👍

Thanks for the kind words!

Me and the seller both called, and both got the same answer that the package was on it's way to the wrong direction, and someone marked it "forwarded" to make it go back correctly through the process ......

They confirm my destination and said estimated arrival is tomorrow

The tracking number still hasn't updated it but I and the seller can breath a sigh of relief I think 

:martini:

The topic statement is “Anyone Else Notice A Major Slowdown in the Mail?”

I see in many comments that is about different companies in U.S. - primarily the USPS having a slowdown. I can image a lot of you are waiting bit longer to get your packages. Well, it is nearly the same up in Canada here.

Some of the packages I get are bit late by a day or two. Some on time. One was 3 days late past its said arrival date. So, the Covid situation do play a role in there. 

I think it’s only fair I should tell you ... expect a uptick increase of parcels being mailing the coming Christmas season. I am noticing more parcels being processed at the faculty I work in. Some of us are talking about a very busy season coming ...unlike last year. That might slow down the delivery time a bit due to the volumes. I think the Covid is causing people to order their items online at homes more than ever before.

Who doesn’t want be in the rush crowd in a mall doing their Christmas shopping at the last minute... especially with a mask on? Not me, no thank you! :/

585D74CE-98C9-4D8C-AC7B-0EF7BE0093E2.thumb.jpeg.77412ff6b6bf409f1e83f987bcc81490.jpeg

Even without COVID-19 and new requirements for social distancing and maximum capacity in enclosed spaces, resulting in massive reductions in efficiency, this kind of market growth would have a significant impact on shipping. 

I get it. 

BUT, I still want an update on my USPS Priority International shipping tracking. No update since September 24.... 😭

Edited by Arkham
Grammar nazism.