• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping cost Canada
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Thanks for the fast reply, Jennifer.

CGC should try to work a deal with Fedex for ground shipping. It would be less expensive for customers from Canada. The return shiping fees doubled in less than one year.

With International Economy, I received my comics in two days. This is great when I submit valuable comics like Silver age and Bronze Age. However, the value of some Copper Age is not that high if they are below 9.6. It would be great if Canadians had a less expensive shipping solution.

You are a great grading company, but I will do business with you on a less regular basis because of the shipping fees.

Should I write officially to your customers service for submitting this suggestion?

On 8/3/2020 at 1:20 PM, Pangolin said:

Thanks for the fast reply, Jennifer.

CGC should try to work a deal with Fedex for ground shipping. It would be less expensive for customers from Canada. The return shiping fees doubled in less than one year.

With International Economy, I received my comics in two days. This is great when I submit valuable comics like Silver age and Bronze Age. However, the value of some Copper Age is not that high if they are below 9.6. It would be great if Canadians had a less expensive shipping solution.

You are a great grading company, but I will do business with you on a less regular basis because of the shipping fees.

Should I write officially to your customers service for submitting this suggestion?

Did you send a followup email?

On 8/4/2020 at 10:58 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Certainly, you can email any suggestions or comments to us at submissions@cgccomics.com and we can forward that over to management. 

Thanks!

Good afternoon Jennifer,

To add to this quesiton of shipping can we, in Canada, combine shipping for CGC Private Signing Events? I was going to submit something to Bill Morrison and Skottie Young. While I would rather not pay $75 for shipping I simple cannot justify paying $75 for each book. Is there a way to combine them? Through check-out we are forced to choose the $75 shipping and a second signing cannot be added to the checkout. Is there a way around this?

I look forward to a reply.

John

• Administrator

Yes, you can request any and all private signing orders to be shipped back together.  Just notate that on your packing slip.  This would apply to private signings only.  For regular submissions, we can only tag together invoices that are the same tier of service.

Thanks!

On 8/7/2020 at 8:02 AM, Pangolin said:

Yes, I have. I will keep everyone inform when I get a reply.

Get any reply?

And for the whole group, has anyone paid or been invoiced for a 25 book submission in the last couple of weeks? Is $180 indeed what to expect to get books back to Canada from CGC?

On 8/23/2020 at 3:02 PM, Lobo1969 said:

Get any reply?

And for the whole group, has anyone paid or been invoiced for a 25 book submission in the last couple of weeks? Is $180 indeed what to expect to get books back to Canada from CGC?

I noticed that an LCS now charges $55/each for their lowest tier service of sending books to CGC for you.  And then I laughed when I saw they had bins FULL of CGC slabs for sale, and some were priced LESS than the $55 it now costs just to have it graded/slabbed! :)lol

I haven't done enough research yet, but I think that in many cases it might be cheaper to just buy books that someone else has already paid to get slabbed!  Unless that particular printing has some SERIOUS sentimental value ;)

I've also never understood autographs, I understand that the CGC SS service seems to seriously increase the value of a book, but I always thought that signatures were a bit pointless unless it's a souvenir of when YOU actually met the celebrity and got their autograph...  And has anything changed with Selfie culture?  Is it just as good to get a photo of you with the artist holding the book!?!?! :)

Edited by StreetPreacher

17 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

I haven't done enough research yet, but I think that in many cases it might be cheaper to just buy books that someone else has already paid to get slabbed!  Unless that particular printing has some SERIOUS sentimental value ;)

I've also never understood autographs, I understand that the CGC SS service seems to seriously increase the value of a book, but I always thought that signatures were a bit pointless unless it's a souvenir of when YOU actually met the celebrity and got their autograph...  And has anything changed with Selfie culture?  Is it just as good to get a photo of you with the artist holding the book!?!?! :)

It's not just as good because you get no yellow label! :sumo:

Joking aside, I have done the research and as a Canadian it is indeed cheaper to buy the books already slabbed. Especially since in 90% of cases, the slight increase you may pay for a slabbed book over a raw book is even less than what it cost Americans to slab (not even counting the times when a raw book costs more than a slabbed book). I did send some books to CGC, but that is because those were rare books and Canadian variants.

On 8/9/2020 at 12:30 PM, dikran1 said:

WOW 180$ to ship to the other side of the world or 3 hours away? Sounds logical... :insane:

Yeah that's because the US sees Canada as an international location. Not CGC's fault, these are just the going rates. It sucks because in Canada, we have a partnership with the USPS for packages sent to the US. So we have 3 tiers, domestic, US and international. The US only has two tiers. I think it's because there is a greater percentage of Canadians who send to the US than Americans who send to Canada. For instance any of us selling on e-bay would probably have to ship to the US to sell our books since the Canadian market alone would not be enough. But in the US, the market is big enough that they can rely on domestic sales and not offer to ship to Canada.

Edited by William-James88

13 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah that's because the US sees Canada as an international location. 

Well, it technically IS an international location...  Maybe just not QUITE as international as Australia, but the stupid border still charges extra for Duty/Brokerage Fees/Just Because , taxes the same as any other international shipment...  

What ever happened with that Free Trade thing I seem to remember hearing about a while ago?:)

Edited by StreetPreacher

14 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

For instance any of us selling on e-bay would probably have to ship to the US to sell our books since the Canadian market alone would not be enough. But in the US, the market is big enough that they can rely on domestic sales and not offer to ship to Canada.

That sucks both ways...  I've seen SO many great deals on ebay for back issues, until I notice that shipping to Canada will end up being like $50 lol  And my principals will just NOT allow me to spend  $50 to ship 1 stupid comic book! lol

2 minutes ago, StreetPreacher said:

That sucks both ways...  I've seen SO many great deals on ebay for back issues, until I notice that shipping to Canada will end up being like $50 lol  And my principals will just NOT allow me to spend  $50 to ship 1 stupid comic book! lol

I guess that's just the price of living in Canada. We don't have access to as good deals and CGC is pricier BUT we also don't have all the bad that comes with living in the US at the moment (won't way more than that). You win some you lose some.

7 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Well, it technically IS an international location...  Maybe just not QUITE as international as Australia, but the stupid border still charges extra for Duty/Brokerage Fees/Just Because , taxes the same as any other international shipment...  

What ever happened with that Free Trade thing I seem to remember hearing about a while ago?:)

That’s a hefty shipping bill to Canada no matter how you slice it.  I know from conversations with other local collectors here in Vancouver it definitely cuts down the amount of slabbing they will do.  It is certainly more expensive USA-Canada than the other way around.  Using postal service at fastest rate a comparable box costs about $60cdn heading to Florida from Vancouver.  There is generally no brokerage or taxes involved in books going to or coming from CGC it correctly described 

And the ridiculous shipping prices to Canada are also what was making me so confused about why people seemed to be purchasing cheap, $1.50, books on ebay that were showing $25 for shipping!  Until I noticed, that the $25 is shipping to Canada, and if you bought the book in the USA shipping is virtually free, or like 25 CENTS for additional books! lol

I just couldn't understand why someone would buy a $2 book and then pay 10x it's value for shipping haha.

Has there still been no response from CGC? I understand it would cost more to send to Canada but I just sent a book to Florida and it cost me $20 Canadian. That is a far reach from $75 USD. At least give the option to ship it ground instead of air (that would save 40% or so).

On 9/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, ignimbrite said:

Has there still been no response from CGC? I understand it would cost more to send to Canada but I just sent a book to Florida and it cost me $20 Canadian. That is a far reach from $75 USD. At least give the option to ship it ground instead of air (that would save 40% or so).

Unfortunately, yes.

I will send a reminder.