• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Katy Keene Fashion Book #18
1 1

13 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

4.0 IMO. I would possibly give it a 5.0 without the writing.

Thanks, and thanks especially for the opinion about the writing. Any Dell or Katy Keene collectors out there that can give me any historical info on this series would be greatly appreciated as well. Are there a lack of these in grade because of the interior cut-outs? All of the ones in this issue are in tact, but I can guess it would be pretty common for the paper doll patterns to be cut out.

On 7/31/2020 at 3:24 PM, Bill Robinson said:

Thanks, and thanks especially for the opinion about the writing. Any Dell or Katy Keene collectors out there that can give me any historical info on this series would be greatly appreciated as well. Are there a lack of these in grade because of the interior cut-outs? All of the ones in this issue are in tact, but I can guess it would be pretty common for the paper doll patterns to be cut out.

Katy began as a backup in Wilbur Comics (MLJ / Archie).  She was highly popular in the 1950s, with spin-off series and specials.  Cut-outs are a concern; I run into that at times as a collector of DC's Sugar & Spike.  Also, titles like Katy's Fashion Book appealed mainly to girls -- it's been my experience that girls were a little more likely to write inside their comics.

8 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Katy began as a backup in Wilbur Comics (MLJ / Archie).  She was highly popular in the 1950s, with spin-off series and specials.  Cut-outs are a concern; I run into that at times as a collector of DC's Sugar & Spike.  Also, titles like Katy's Fashion Book appealed mainly to girls -- it's been my experience that girls were a little more likely to write inside their comics.

Thanks for the info! I hear you about writing inside, and I'm sure it makes NO difference, but the writing is neat and appropriate. Do you see a lot of these issues in your collecting experience and are they rare in mid/high grade?

8 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Also, I have an issue of Sugar and Spike and I'm SURE I never went through it page by page. I'll have to do that. Are those rare in mid/high grade as well?