• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are "Double Covers" worth more?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Just inquiring about Double Covers?  Are they worth more?  I have a Shazam #10 w/Double Cover and submitted it to CGC, the condition isn't really mint but overall pretty good book and pretty neat to have.  Was just wondering of books like this what increased of value they have if any?

9 minutes ago, Rebecca Peery said:

Just inquiring about Double Covers?  Are they worth more?  I have a Shazam #10 w/Double Cover and submitted it to CGC, the condition isn't really mint but overall pretty good book and pretty neat to have.  Was just wondering of books like this what increased of value they have if any?

Double covers are highly desirable. I would guess that it depends upon how desirable the book is as well...  hm

34 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

Wouldn't it? In the same grade and regardless of the book, double covers should sell for multiples due to the rarity. Even if it is low grade, find another one. 

I would entertain any evidence you have, even anecdotal.  They are not really as rare as you make them out to be, I don't think. 

A common VG Marvel SA cover will sell for a nice premium over a standard copy.  A beat up Shazam 10 is dollar box fodder but if its a beatup double cover, I'd pay $10 for it.  My most recent D.C. pickups were Amazing Adventures 1 and 6.  They were around fine and AA#6 in fine is $3 box material. I paid $15.  5X premium. AA #1 is a $20-$30 book in Fine on a good day and I paid $50, about a 3X premium. There really is no marketprice for these books. Half the fun of tracking them down is the negotiations. Most sellers have no idea how to price these. I, have no idea what to pay for them.  I have about 15 Avengers D.Cs , from #16 to #150.  I joke about completing the run but never will.

Double covers are pretty cool.  I try to buy GA double covers, but they are usually priced above what I'm willing to pay.  I'll pay more for them, but I'm definitely much more selective on which issues I'd want with double covers.  I think my limit is ~50% more than what I value the same issue without a double cover in the same grade.

From my own observations, and others may disagree, there were two guys running around buying any and every double cover and dealers knew they had  a sale. That made it hard on everyone else. One of them liquidated his collection which brought a lot of books back on the market. Now that is drying up and it seems like premiums are increasing on asking prices.

I'll buy any if the price is right, but a D..C. 90s Superman for $30 showed me what my limits are.

On 7/31/2020 at 2:30 PM, The Lions Den said:

Double covers are highly desirable. I would guess that it depends upon how desirable the book is as well...  hm

Are they automatically "highly desirable"? I see them more as a niche for certain collectors while a majority of collectors (myself included) don't care at all to pay a premium for a double cover.

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Are they automatically "highly desirable"? I see them more as a niche for certain collectors while a majority of collectors (myself included) don't care at all to pay a premium for a double cover.

hm

4 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

I think most collectors find the double cover to be a pretty cool curiosity that's worth a premium (and triples and quadruples even more so).  However, one of things that often gets missed is the real implications of having a double cover.  The outer cover provides some protection to the inner cover from external wear.  However, the inside cover protects the outside cover from the chemical transfer/off-gassing of the body.  

A very long time ago in the production thread, somebody posted an early Spider-man that had a double cover miswrap where the inner cover was greatly skewed.  You could clearly see where the outer cover had been protected and was bone white while the part that had been exposed to the body of the book was tanned.

In general, having both covers in higher grades will bring a higher premium (relative to grade) than one cover being 4.0 and another being 9.0.  2c

Sounds like a poll is in order: "Would you pay a premium for a double cover?"

I'd be interested to hear what people think.  I look at the premium of double covers as those for Mark Jeweler inserts or error comics.  I find them to all be in the same boat of niche collectors who will pay more for those but not the larger majority.  Maybe i'm wrong and i'm in the minority. (shrug)

On 7/31/2020 at 3:09 PM, PeterPark said:

Wouldn't it? In the same grade and regardless of the book, double covers should sell for multiples due to the rarity. Even if it is low grade, find another one. 

It's all supply and demand. Supply may be low but if demand is just as low, then the worth wont be much. So if no one is willing to pay multiple, then that book wont be sold and a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay.