• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these creases on Golden Age books Bindery defects? And can they be Pressed out?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

As we all know, the Golden Age is the wild west when it came to production standards and there are a myriad of production defects that CGC won't take points off like bindery chips, missing staples, miscuts, odd inks and the like. I am wondering if this is one of them too because I am noticing it on 3 of my GA books. At first glance, it looks like a non colour breaking crease, something due to wear and tear. But when you look closer and especially at the back, it looks more like a production defect, like a crease formed when making that large roll of paper that will be used in the printing press, where we see the connecting fibers. The cease isn't a fold going in one direction or another, instead we have a thin embossed line on both sides.

So first question, am I right on this, that it's a production defect and not a crease done after production?

Second question, would CGC deduct any points on a defect like this?

Third question, the way this is made, would pressing do anything? Would it flatten that embossed line and remove this type of crease or not?

Here are some examples:

20200731_211334.jpg

20200731_211319.jpg

20200731_211257.jpg

20200729_122552 (1).jpg

20200729_122608 (1).jpg

That appears to be a hard crease with little to no color break. I see them from time to time. They can be greatly reduced and in some cases almost eliminated while leaving a faint reminder they were once there. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

That appears to be a hard crease with little to no color break. I see them from time to time. They can be greatly reduced and in some cases almost eliminated while leaving a faint reminder they were once there. 

I have 3 books like this and as you say, there is no colour break. So you think that it's definitely from use as opposed to being manufactured that way? And yes, if you were wondering, I was posting this to know if they would be good candidates for sending to you specifically. I am finally getting my books in order after all this time. But being in Canada, with that higher shipping charge both ways, I have to make it count!