• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Order just got back...

8 posts in this topic

That Chaos Orb looks soooo good in the case :) I'd be tempted to slab mine if I didn't use it for play in my decks often.

Seeing the two side-by-side now makes it really clear to me what I don't like about the CGC label in this use. So much vertical space is being waste on the top CGC bar, as well as the large card/set info. There isn't any white space between all that info and the sub-grades, which make it looked very cramped and haphazardly stacked up. A good solution would have been maybe to also move the date to be beside the set name in small type (as opposed to Magic: The Gathering). This would have opened up much more horizontal space and maybe made it look a little cleaner - the design and text need to breath :D. I struggle to think of how these cards are going to look once you factor in signature information, restoration/alter information, or any other additional text that breaks the current format (unless the plan is to use the backside of the label)

Edited by Sauce Dog

4 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

I struggle to think of how these cards are going to look once you factor in signature information, restoration/alter information, or any other additional text that breaks the current format (unless the plan is to use the backside of the label)

It does appear they'll have to put any extra info on the back. But I do like the way it looks. It's more attractive (and easier to read, IMO) than the Beckett label...

While there wasn't a direct link when reviewing my submission, I found afterwards that if you go to cgccards.com/verify, you can enter your submission #, and add on 001, 002, etc to see the grade. Mine had photos too.

I feel if they do grade tighter than BGS (and PSA for that matter or any other peers) it's going to be awesome for CGC in the long run, having the true prestige and integrity of "top of class" integrity and not like GAI and other companies did in the past "handing out perfect 10's" to appease submitters with the illusion of perfection.  It's going to be both a collector's and reseller's nightmare if CGC ever went that route.

Already, people seem to be flocking towards companies who "grade tight" with accuracy.

I hope CGC starts accepting all cards.  It's 4 corners, 4 edges, 2 surfaces and scrutinizing the centering.   

Their cases look great by design as far as the label goes.

I think it's a mistake upcharging for Sub-Grades, where BGS started doing that.  I think if CGC just does it by default the way BGS used to do, and it sets the company standard, it's way smarter, even if it means raising their rates/prices.  Having 2 separate standards is flawed.  Where some may see one as an upgrade it's truly a downgrade for the lower tier and a bad move.  I think it was a horrible move for BGS to offer "no sub-grades"

I hope CGC just offers one service level.

Also, don't get involved in the value of cards.  BGS doesn't.  PSA supposedly now does.  A card is a card, whether it's worth $1 or $1 million, aside from insurance issues, the rates should be the same.  Grading is supposed to be unbiased and you're grading a card, you're being paid for a service.  There's no need to put your hands in a customer's back pocket.  

1 hour ago, BeholdersEye said:

Also, don't get involved in the value of cards.  BGS doesn't.  PSA supposedly now does.  A card is a card, whether it's worth $1 or $1 million, aside from insurance issues, the rates should be the same.  Grading is supposed to be unbiased and you're grading a card, you're being paid for a service.  There's no need to put your hands in a customer's back pocket.  

Grading is unbiased, it has nothing to do with the value. The tier are based on the turn around time, how fast they get to a grader to grade, and then back to you. As with comics, the higher a collectible is valued, the more quickly CGC wants it to go back to you. You arent paying more because its valued more, you are paying more because your card is moving to the top of the grading pile.