• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All American Comics #3, What to do, what to do...
1 1

18 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, FoggyNelson said:

No kidding never seen this one if it is complete it might be CGC 0.5

I believe I did a page count, but now I'll have to check just in case. I'm prolly slabbing it at the very least, but I may also get it restored. Only one on the CGC census if I am not mistaken, and it aint a 9.0. The main thing I would like, is to slow it's deterioration and preserve it.

Edited by AmbassadorSlip

36 minutes ago, AmbassadorSlip said:

I believe I did a page count, but now I'll have to check just in case. I'm prolly slabbing it at the very least, but I may also get it restored. Only one on the CGC census if I am not mistaken, and it aint a 9.0. The main thing I would like, is to slow it's deterioration and preserve it.

Restoring might not be worth it, unless you know an independent professional.  Not sure what CGC would do in this case to restore.  Definitely slab it though, like you said.  I'll go with 0.5 as well, because it's a new one for me. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

I wouldn't restore... it won't return the investment. Only variable: if this book has some kind of a personal connection for you. Then, sure. :)

I'm more interested in keeping this lil piece of history around than a return on my investment. But, that all depends on how much I would put into getting it restored. If I slab it, it'll just rot inside the slab.

Since the main concern is to prevent deterioration, I would contact a conservator at your local university, historical society, or museum.  Those institutions often deal with old newsprint. Maybe there's a service they use for deacidification, and they can refer you.  Send an email, someone working in Rare Books & Manuscripts might be interested in seeing your comic.

It's still a very nice book to own.  Good luck.

@AmbassadorSlip

I have a copy of this book although I do not collect DCs generally.  

It seems that when I posted my book years ago, someone said it has the same back cover as Tec #27?

I don't have mine handy to look at it but maybe someone can verify.

If so, that may be something to keep in mind.

EDIT - SORRY, I just checked my scans and I am pretty sure I am thinking of All-American Comics #2.  But I could be wrong of the BC match even so with the #2.

Edited by telerites

14 hours ago, AmbassadorSlip said:

I would not restore this. If you are concerned with keeping it intact then I would send it to be conserved. People like Kenny Sanderson (whom I can highly recommend), Susan Ciccone, and Mike DeChellis can all do this kind of work. 

5 hours ago, telerites said:

@AmbassadorSlip

I have a copy of this book although I do not collect DCs generally.  

It seems that when I posted my book years ago, someone said it has the same back cover as Tec #27?

I don't have mine handy to look at it but maybe someone can verify.

If so, that may be something to keep in mind.

EDIT - SORRY, I just checked my scans and I am pretty sure I am thinking of All-American Comics #2.  But I could be wrong of the BC match even so with the #2.

I'd like to know more, maybe even see it. Did you slab it? What condition is it in? What do you do to protect it?

5 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I would not restore this. If you are concerned with keeping it intact then I would send it to be conserved. People like Kenny Sanderson (whom I can highly recommend), Susan Ciccone, and Mike DeChellis can all do this kind of work. 

I remember some of those names from the past I think. I will def look into this. At the time, I am not sure what the difference is. Thanks for the suggestion, and the names.

10 minutes ago, AmbassadorSlip said:

I'd like to know more, maybe even see it. Did you slab it? What condition is it in? What do you do to protect it?

I don't have a BC scan and still not sure if it is a match for Tec 27.  It does have the same on sale date and cover of the Tec.  And to be honest, I do not remember if I bought it slabbed or subbed it myself.  Like I said I do not collect DCs much but did All-American so complete the three issues that have Ultra-Man cover appearances.  

1311120839001.jpg

11 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't have a BC scan and still not sure if it is a match for Tec 27.  It does have the same on sale date and cover of the Tec.  And to be honest, I do not remember if I bought it slabbed or subbed it myself.  Like I said I do not collect DCs much but did All-American so complete the three issues that have Ultra-Man cover appearances.  

1311120839001.jpg

Wow. I sometimes forget how many people have awesome comics that are outside of the normal stuff. That's a real beauty. Hard to believe it is a 2.5

5 hours ago, The-Collector said:

I talked to Susan a few months ago and she wasn't taking on new customers. 

I ended up going with Kenny and highly highly recommend him. Great guy,  good work,  fair and honest.   I can't say enough positive things. 

PM if you need contact info. 

No doubt the 9.2 came from a pedigree collection, maybe the Edgar Church copy,

These early issues are really Sheldon Mayer productions in  most every way.  Look at that inside front cover!  No doubt he also was doing front cover design work.  He likely performed a lot of the newspaper strip paste-up work as well.  All of that in addition to his new Scribbly pages.