• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a product to remove scratches from slabs ?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi, so I watched this video on how to remove scratches on a slab.

I'm skeptical on the final result (not actual shown on the video) using these Novus products.

Has anyone succefully removed scratches with a product ?

If so, what product do you recommend ? Thanks

Novus.jpg

the way I think about scratches in glass is that you have to take the area around the scratch down to the level of the scratch. So depending on how deep it is, there's material to be removed and at a fineness level equal to the other non scratched part. If you start with the finest abrasive you can find, it will take a long time to get down to that level. I would suggest that you need more than one abrasive to do it efficiently and then you may not like what you get since changing the thickness of the material effectively creates a lens. That may really jump out at you. You will likely always be able to see it unless you drop down to the five or six micron range.  That means cerium usually. 

3 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

the way I think about scratches in glass is that you have to take the area around the scratch down to the level of the scratch. So depending on how deep it is, there's material to be removed and at a fineness level equal to the other non scratched part. If you start with the finest abrasive you can find, it will take a long time to get down to that level. I would suggest that you need more than one abrasive to do it efficiently and then you may not like what you get since changing the thickness of the material effectively creates a lens. That may really jump out at you. You will likely always be able to see it unless you drop down to the five or six micron range.  That means cerium usually. 

On big deep scratches it might be futile to try to remove them and might as well just have them reslabbed but that's costly when considering the shipping cost not just the reslab cost of 15$. I might just leave it alone since I'm not sure how to remove scratches properly.