• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Of which comic have you collected the most copies?
8 8

163 posts in this topic

So tonight I was moving some stuff around in the laundry room, and found a box of "overstock" I'd forgotten about (stuff that isn't in my personal collection, but which I also don't currently have up for sale either.)

I got a jolt of excitement, as I couldn't remember what was in there. What treasures waited inside???

Well, here's the highlight, read em and weep, boys! One day my ship will come in, and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank! The money bank!

IMG_1179.JPG

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

So tonight I was moving some stuff around in the laundry room, and found a box of "overstock" I'd forgotten about (stuff that isn't in my personal collection, but which I also don't currently have up for sale either.)

I got a jolt of excitement, as I couldn't remember what was in there. What treasures waited inside???

Well, here's the highlight, read em and weep, boys! One day my ship will come in, and I'll be laughing all the way to the bank! The money bank!

IMG_1179.JPG

Strong resemblance to Black Widow on that cover.

12 hours ago, Hudson said:

Well, by popular demand, I will post this photo again.  It is no where even close to the MOST copies I have a of a single book, however, it is a book that many people here seem to like (and a photo I have handy on my laptop).  I may post something else later, if I get a chance to gather up some books and snap a photo (please note I am NOT a photographer and my cell phone does not take the best pictures).

1029080558_JoJo25groupof10(3).thumb.jpg.10f0565b6a4a7f09c2c713f69cc656ff.jpg

This is a outrageous outrage!!!  I could buy a copy for $5 dollars if you didnt have em all!!! :pullhair:

On 8/3/2020 at 2:37 PM, Kevin.J said:

Marvel 1.JPG

Not to hate on people who have multiples--- but I do get jealous of pictures like this sometimes. I think I have been trying to get ANY COPY of ST 1 & 2 for so long. Then to see this along with other coveted books like DD 1, DS 169 and MT 1-- sort of frustrating. Not that I can afford any of these issues-- it is just the abundance that is sort of a burn to others.

It also makes me think-- WHY? Why do I want these things so badly? And to that point-- perhaps I should just be happy for you and people like you who have worked so hard to be able to show a picture like that instead. Huzzah! Great job!

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

IMG_1179.JPG

I liked that series.  It was quirky, funny, a little different at the time.  

9 hours ago, littledoom said:

whats the story w these? Why keep em vs selling em?

They are not worth the time it would take to sell them, no one wants them etc lol 

Before ebay there were small ads and I would go to see 3 or 4 collections every week.

I am just a collector not a dealer, so I would try to buy the books I needed for my collection but sometimes people would just want rid of everything and I had to take it or leave it, some books were tough to find here in the UK back in the pre-ebay days so if someone had a good few books that I wanted I took everything, lots of times I ended up with boxes of stuff I didnt want, this was one of those times, I think I have 2 or 3 long boxes of them somewhere lol 

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Not to hate on people who have multiples--- but I do get jealous of pictures like this sometimes. I think I have been trying to get ANY COPY of ST 1 & 2 for so long. Then to see this along with other coveted books like DD 1, DS 169 and MT 1-- sort of frustrating. Not that I can afford any of these issues-- it is just the abundance that is sort of a burn to others.

It also makes me think-- WHY? Why do I want these things so badly? And to that point-- perhaps I should just be happy for you and people like you who have worked so hard to be able to show a picture like that instead. Huzzah! Great job!

I have spent years upgrading my books, when I see a nicer copy than mine at the right price I take it.

I am not hoarding books for the sake of it, my time is more precious atm that the effort of selling anything.

23 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

I have spent years upgrading my books, when I see a nicer copy than mine at the right price I take it.

I am not hoarding books for the sake of it, my time is more precious atm that the effort of selling anything.

That is my reason also.  I so rarely sell anything so I do have some multiples of books.  I admit I got into some speculator craze in the 80s before I hopped out of the hobby and those books are still in long boxes and I haven't looked at them since then but when I came back to the hobby after a decade hiatus, I collected mainly GA and some of the ones I wanted were hard to come by so I would settle for lower grade copies and as I saw an opportunity to upgrade I did so.  I also bought restored copies when no other copies so when I saw an unrestored copy that I could afford, I would try to buy it.

I am a completionist so I try to finish runs of titles or category types that I like so for the most part I was looking for specific books.

22 minutes ago, Kevin.J said:

SIr,

You have a fine collection (very fine).  One that you spent a lot of time, effort, and money to acquire.

I am going to assume that you did not acquire multiples of a singel book in order to keep others from owning one, but rather to upgrade or because you enjoy owning more than one copy.

I don't believe you should be required to explain why you collect what you collect or justify your actions to anyone (excdpt maybe a spouse).

I can understand the frustration of some collectors who feel as if one person owning more than one copy creates excess demand and drives the prices up, however, I wonder if those same people are as frustrated by the people who buy comics not for their own collections, but simply to flip them.

Most everyone here on the boards llive in a free country, where we are allowed to buy, sell, or collect what we want (and often work hard for).

In fact, since you are from the UK, I bring to the conversation a certain document  that many here in the United States hold dear.  It says in part, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that sll men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."   If you find happiness in your collection then I applaud you for purseing that which brings you happiness. 

I am guessing in your pursuit you likely brought many dealers and sellers happiness with your purchases.

11 hours ago, oldrover said:

Random poster to Kevin.J: "Hey, I bet you don't have any more like that, right?"

image.jpeg.f0beda635bb44a53c8c71e29ce7cb9bc.jpeg

Kevin.J: "Hold my beer."

I would get hives living in a situation like that. 

That also definitely looks like a case of quantity over quality. 

2 hours ago, Kevin.J said:

No need to justify anything to anyone.  You do you and its a fine collection. 

For me though, I am definitely hoarding certain books for the sake of it. There are two books that I will always pick up in the 6.0 to 8.0 range whenever I see an underpriced copy for future resale.  No, I don't leave it for someone else to find.  It's a Silver Age book... people have had over 50 years to buy them up. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would get hives living in a situation like that. 

That also definitely looks like a case of quantity over quality. 

LOL. When I was actively hunting down down collections with some good success, I got a call from a guy out in Steger, Ill that said he had tens of thousands of books. Said he never looked through them, and  regardless of what I found they were $1.00 each. Of course he used the " they're old " hitch. I believe I grabbed board member ARK and we headed over there. They were in a basement with a very low ceiling so we were like half walking upright trying not to bust our heads open on the beams.

We were excited to see this heap and quickly started thumbing through long box after long box. The excitement slowly turned to frustration thinking there has to be at least a few good long boxes, then maybe a few dozen books, then maybe one good book. We were down there for a few hours and  came out of there half blind and unable to walk upright. I was a bit peeved at the guy who sold us the pitch it was old stuff. We got outside and looked at each other and the owner said  " what do you think ". Exact words. " burn it ".  He looked at me in shock and said " what ". I told him you'll have to pay someone to haul it away. Pure 100% drek. LOL

24 minutes ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

My multiples are primarily of Usagi Yojimbo.  Have 7-10 of each of the Fantagraphics and Mirage series.  Much less Dark Horse.  

3EEFA25E-59F9-4AEC-90C1-7C5F9C7EC690.jpeg

Spoiler

Love it!! ^^

giphy.gif