• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy comics from Heritage Auctions from Canada
1 1

4 posts in this topic

To my fellow Canadian members here on the board.

What was your experience like when winning an auction from Heritage ?

Shipping costs? Boarder taxes costs ? Etc.

Did you send them to a P.O. Box in the US to save on costs ?

Please share here.

Thanks

Hi fellow Montrealer,

Last year Heritage was quoting me $50 for one raw comic book (!!!) and $53 for one CGC graded comic book using USPS Global Priority Mail (take note that you need to fill a form for shipping preference and that they only allow USPS shipping of graded books for items lower than $200... for raw I don't know if there is a limit in value)

If not, it's $76 for one CGC book with Fedex.

That's why I refrain from buying from Heritage (and Comic Link) unless I can grab a book at a great price... which ultimately evens out given the hefty shipping charges...

I never had any issue with USPS, so I don't get why they don't offer it to  Canadian customers.

On 8/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, migmtl76 said:

To my fellow Canadian members here on the board.

What was your experience like when winning an auction from Heritage ?

Shipping costs? Boarder taxes costs ? Etc.

Did you send them to a P.O. Box in the US to save on costs ?

Please share here.

Thanks

You don't win either way. When you shop at Heritage it's because you want to buy a book you can't find elsewhere. because or else, that will be the most costly way to buy books. You will be charged the priciest shipping, and customs are guaranteed to happen. A PO box doesn't help much since you are then charged US taxes+ the use of a PO Box and the hassel of getting your books. The best way to do it, so that it is somewhat worthwhile is to wait until you have A LOT of stuff to ship. I have waited years for that to happen. When you have upwards of 3000$ worth of books to ship, then that $300 shipping fee (and that upwards of $100 customs fee) doesn't seem so bad when breaking it down per book.

5 hours ago, Frederic9494 said:

I never had any issue with USPS, so I don't get why they don't offer it to  Canadian customers.

I too wish they did but USPS is not as accountable for international orders as Fed Ex and UPS since they don't have their own branch here to continue the voyage. Heritage does not want to thus rely on Canada post, who is responsable for the rest of your package's journey once it hits canada. basically, if there is an issue, they want to be able to hold someone in the US accountable if any legal action is to be taken. It's all about them covering their buts at all costs and not losing money in any way. 

EDIT: also, pretty funny how we are all in Montreal

Edited by William-James88

For all you montrealers, the cheapest way to buy rare books is to do so at Comiccon. I know the price tag will look way more expensive, but when you factor shipping and taxes, it comes out cheaper for the books I looked at.

That used to be my answer for CGC too, handing off books at the con and doing the SS series there. But now that they don't show up anymore, the most I deal with CGC is by buying pre slabbed books and writing on these boards ;) 

Edited by William-James88