• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fanttastic Four #112 Society
4 4

94 posts in this topic

On 12/17/2020 at 1:00 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Even though I haven't bought a Captain America comic in years, I just had to buy #730 when I saw it at the comic shop because of it's FF #112 feel.  I'm just a sucker for these black covers with two people getting ready to fight I guess.

Captain America #730.jpg

Iron Man vol. 1 #150.jpg

I picked up that Cap cover too. Absolutely love it.:cloud9: Iron man vs doom cover is great too. They've been sitting here just begging to be graded. 

1 hour ago, WernerVonDoom said:

Wow!

In today's market, that isn't too outlandish (what am I saying? O.o ) when you see that Iron man # 150 in 9.8 went for a similar price, I know which one I would rather have. 

52 minutes ago, batmiesta said:

In today's market, that isn't too outlandish (what am I saying? O.o ) when you see that Iron man # 150 in 9.8 went for a similar price, I know which one I would rather have. 

The FF112 9.6 price on 5/11 would have been outandish, even in today's market, if not for the most recent 9.6 sale having been way back in 2019.  So that was a "catch-up" hike, and compared to the FF112 9.8 price, appears reasonably consistent with the expected spread  between a 9.8 and 9.6.   If the 9.8 is reasonable, so is the 9.6, or so the story goes.  

Edited by Pantodude

2 minutes ago, ft88 said:

Of the key SA and BA black covers I rank this one and Submariner 8 as the key two to have.  ASM 28 is sweet but the production it make the classic cover, not quite as posterific. 

DD 37 X-men 42/90 Cap 144 155 Avengers 146 annual 2 don't quite have the punch.  Cap 122 is one of my favorites but not quite all black.  Marvel Super Heroes 20 and Thor 165 Strange Tales 178 are almost there.

A number of magazine like Vampirella and Eerie have incredible all black covers.  

Picture Frames are tough but not quite the complete black background that make FF112 and Sub 8 so awesome.  Copper Age Moon Knights, X-men 173 are pretty sweet too but not as tough to find. And of course TMNT and Cerebus among other Independents

DC's are fun too but not as known in a way.  Phantom Stranger 10 Batman 212 for example.  HOS 92 is not quite black cover. 

Also in this world are the heavy purple and red background covers.  

But for me its FF 112 and Sub 8.

Never seen anyone make a ranking like this -- very interesting.

I'm not exactly sure why you're not giving ASM #28 as much love as your two favorites, though.  It's significantly older and very, very significantly more valuable.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Never seen anyone make a ranking like this -- very interesting.

I'm not exactly sure why you're not giving ASM #28 as much love as your two favorites, though.  It's significantly older and very, very significantly more valuable.

Probably because all the ones I've seen in person that I could afford were dull and not shiny deep black.  I'm sure you put a 9.4 with deep color strike in front of me and I'd change my mind.  

5 hours ago, ft88 said:

So good.  Echos of the modern ASM 55

The Submariner 8 for reference.  It and the FF 112 could be posters.  ASM 28 is just such a tough book.

img128.jpg.7cc803c8dc9ef5829ff4210ac70c4598.jpg

Such a simple cover, but just so perfect too .

Someone please help me out here.  I'm too lazy right now to read the entire thread which could have the answer to my question:

Why is this book worth so much when there isn't a first appearance of anything that usually is the key factor in making a book relevant these days?

5 hours ago, Mjolnir! said:

Someone please help me out here.  I'm too lazy right now to read the entire thread which could have the answer to my question:

Why is this book worth so much when there isn't a first appearance of anything that usually is the key factor in making a book relevant these days?

It's the classic cover, plus the fact that the cover is black which makes high-grade examples harder to come by.

See Sub-Mariner #8 for a similar example, not quite as well celebrated but popular among collectors for the same reasons.