• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Men Comics #5 value?

17 posts in this topic

I bought a 6.0 universal slabbed Mystery men Comics from Heritage 6 years ago.  I just got an offer of $1300 for it, so after Heritage's 10% cut comes out to $1170 for me.  (For those that have never gone through Heritage's anonymous offer format, I am responsible for shipping/insurance to Dallas)

I don't have GPA, so don't know if that is a good offer.   It's more than Overstreet, but I think Mystery Men often goes for well over Overstreet.  Via searching completed auctions, I see a 6.5 sold several years ago via Heritage for over $3k - but I don't know if that was an aberration.

Can anyone help with a realistic current day "value?"  Thanks.

26 minutes ago, tpetty said:

I bought a 6.0 universal slabbed Mystery men Comics from Heritage 6 years ago.  I just got an offer of $1300 for it, so after Heritage's 10% cut comes out to $1170 for me.  (For those that have never gone through Heritage's anonymous offer format, I am responsible for shipping/insurance to Dallas)

I don't have GPA, so don't know if that is a good offer.   It's more than Overstreet, but I think Mystery Men often goes for well over Overstreet.  Via searching completed auctions, I see a 6.5 sold several years ago via Heritage for over $3k - but I don't know if that was an aberration.

The last sell on Heritage was not an outlier.  I would say if the page quality is cream or better, 3k would be the floor.

1 hour ago, tpetty said:

This is the one.  Sounds like I should hold on to it.  Thanks!

Mystery Men 5 $776 Heritage 2014.jpg

I wouldn’t sell that book at a fixed price to someone. That is auction material. The GA market has seemed so volital the past few years. So much so, even with tools available, so many books are near impossible to price out right now. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 8/2/2020 at 12:40 PM, tpetty said:

That offer is a joke. Clink has a lowly CGC 2.0 they are asking $995.00 for. Just about everything has gone up since that 6.5 sold in 2017 for 3k too...

I laugh at some of the Heritage offers I’ve received in the past...:eyeroll:

Edited by N e r V

16 hours ago, N e r V said:
On 8/2/2020 at 12:40 PM, tpetty said:

That offer is a joke. Clink has a lowly CGC 2.0 they are asking $995.00 for. Just about everything has gone up since that 6.5 sold in 2017 for 3k too...

I laugh at some of the Heritage offers I’ve received in the past...:eyeroll:

:idea:  Well, since I believe the HA Make Offer to Owner system allows the owner to make a counter offer, why don't you simply toss in a counter offer of say $5,000 or possibly even higher.  :takeit:

38 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:  Well, since I believe the HA Make Offer to Owner system allows the owner to make a counter offer, why don't you simply toss in a counter offer of say $5,000 or possibly even higher.  :takeit:

First I’m not interested in selling but I’ve ended up on their make an offer list from time to time. I’m to lazy to find the opt out if there is one...:grin:

Secondly it’s amusing. I’m just surprised at some of the sad lowball offers. $500.00 for a book with a $1500.00 GPA  or $1000.00 for a 3, 4 or 5k book. If you were interested in selling the offers (at times) are to far off even for a counter. To be fair I’ve seen legit offers too but there’s a lot of lowballing going on over at the Heritage make an offer system. 

I think the flippers might be the ones trying to get something for nothing with some of those offers. Just a theory of mine. Just find the one seller who doesn’t follow GPA closely and you score...

Edited by N e r V