• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just found a horde of comics!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

As far as potential value, go to eBay and use their 'sold items' filter to go  thru  recent sales, though pay attention to the condition.

There's also free sites like comicspriceguide (raw) or goCollect (slabs; some info requires a subscription)

Attics are not a good place to store comics. You can also post pics/scans in the Buddy Can You Spare a Grade forum.  

That ASM 129 should prob be the 1st one to investigate.  Note that most comics, even relatively old ones, aren't particularly valuable.

You might consider laying them out with the price on the cover as well. I see some .20 cents sticking out which was getting outside the range of substantive value with Marvel at least.  Books at .12 cents would be worth investigating. 

1 hour ago, Glassman10 said:

You might consider laying them out with the price on the cover as well. I see some .20 cents sticking out which was getting outside the range of substantive value with Marvel at least.  Books at .12 cents would be worth investigating. 

I see one 20 cent book that seems to be of substantive value...

On 8/2/2020 at 4:44 PM, monte schaller said:

Just cleaned out dad’s attic and found about 200 comics in a storage bin. Almost all 72-74, LOTS of 73’s and a few 89’s... solid conditions, most would be an 8 or high ti think but I’m not an expert.. wondering the best way to sell and grade! And advice is appreciated! 

FYI, those are not solid condition. You can already tell from the spines shown where we see blunt corners, tears, spine roll and rust on the staples. Unless that pic is not a good indication of course. But if it is, they are midgrade, meaning they would get on average 4 or 5 out of 10 condition wise.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I guess we have different definitions for high value then. Anything above $100 for something found in the attic sounds good to me.

well, I think you have to look at what it cost to have it monetized by slabbing which is the only way to really avoid endless bickering about price. So, I tend to think that anything over 400 bucks is worth considering. Lower, after churning the piece and marketing is really just churning value to me. For your time involved, you aren't making money unless you are doing major volume.  I have stuff in my attic too, just not comics but to sell it effectively takes time and money. It's not a cash cow for sure. My two ASM 129's were both above a 9.0 grade. One a 9.4.  I liked that.  

Edited by Glassman10

20 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

well, I think you have to look at what it cost to have it monetized by slabbing which is the only way to really avoid endless bickering about price. So, I tend to think that anything over 400 bucks is worth considering. Lower, after churning the piece and marketing is really just churning value to me. For your time involved, you aren't making money unless you are doing major volume.

I agree with time and money being spent elsewhere, I always try to say the same around boards when people think thy found a gold mine (so far, I have never seen that to pan out as they hoped). I do disagree on slabbing being the only way to avoid endless bickering. I say that because I see no bickering on these forums in the marketplace. People show good pics of the comic, they give it a price and people can do as they wish. This is a key book so it is sure to be sold, no need to spend money slabbing it. I don't mind putting my money where my mouth is, I'd buy that book raw.

Edited by William-James88

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I agree with tie and money being spent elsewhere, I always try to say the same around boards when people think thy found a gold mine (so far, I have never seen that to pan out as they hoped). I do disagree on slabbing being the only way to avoid endless bickering. I say that because I see no bickering on these forums in the marketplace. People show good pics of the comic, they give it a price and people can do as they wish. This is a key book so it is sure to be sold, no need to spend money slabbing it. I don't mind putting my money where my mouth is, I'd buy that book raw.

I would assume you would want to be the one doing the grading. I would not be inclined to leave that to a casual connection.  I found in high value books, slabbing was a great help. I would also say that I hated it. It's certainly not worth arguing about. 

Edited by Glassman10

The fact that the ASM 129 is sitting right on top and is not in a sleeve is giving me anxiety...... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEBODY BAG AND BOARD THAT BOOK!!!!

That book alone will make you a happy camper even in the 6.0 range it's probably in.

Considering they were an unexpected find and they were free, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep about condition. That's a really cool find even just to read.  Depending on level of interest in comics and/or how jaded someone is, it can become all about condition and value, but comics are more than just a grade and a value (thumbsu.  Congrats!