• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to unload Brother Voodoo??

21 posts in this topic

I was digging through some of my collection and remembered I have Strange Tales 169-173, first 5 appearances of Brother Voodoo I believe. I got them years ago at a show for 50 cents each, I have no attachment to them and I'm planning to sell. I know the character is getting some MCU speculation heat currently, but not sure if waiting for something more official would equal more profit. In a similar situation a couple years ago I sat on the Captain Marvel intro too long and by the time I sold mine the bubble had popped.  Waugh Waugh. 

Just curious about anyone's opinion on when might be the best time to sell these based on fringe/speculation hype.

0802201732~2.jpg

14 minutes ago, PeterPark said:

You waited too long? I sold 5-6 MSH 13 waaay too early.

Yeah on that one I waited til like 2 months before the movie dropped for some reason and all the fringe collectors already had their copies it seemed like and the price crashed. 

The longer you do this the more you'll realize high price doesn't mean important book.  You think they would be relative but not always.  There are people who will continue to buy any key at any price until a movie is announced, regardless of how crazy the prices get.  The best time to sell is always a month or two before the movie comes out.  In this case, I don't know if he ever gets a solo movie, but maybe speculation is on doctor strange 2 or a disney series?  If that is the case you have another year or so.  Just my opinion though, there's no guarantee disney follows through with any of these rumors, there are so many rumors about characters I stopped paying attention.

4 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I ran across this old thread and I thought I'd revisit it.

Serling I hope you didn't sell (did you?).

A 9.8 of ST169 has recently sold for $27,000

Nice job revisiting!!  I recently came into issues #170 to #173...couldn't get my hands on a high-grade copy of #169.  The four that I have are mid-grade at best, maybe a bit higher.  I plan to have them clean/pressed/graded someday...I'll be watching in the meantime.

Just now, Galen130 said:

Nice job revisiting!!  I recently came into issues #170 to #173...couldn't get my hands on a high-grade copy of #169.  The four that I have are mid-grade at best, maybe a bit higher.  I plan to have them clean/pressed/graded someday...I'll be watching in the meantime.

I found a CGC 9.8 171 (3rd appearance) sitting on ebay at $400.  I was like..... this seems WAY too low for a 9.8 of the 3rd appearance.  So I bought it.

IMG_5925.jpeg

I've always heard sell just before movie because the price will drop after but I have never seen this actually happen.  Th price keeps climbing year after year.  Example Thor 165 I bought mine before movie at $50.  It is now a $300 book.

41 minutes ago, kav said:

I've always heard sell just before movie because the price will drop after but I have never seen this actually happen.  Th price keeps climbing year after year.  Example Thor 165 I bought mine before movie at $50.  It is now a $300 book.

I seen it happen numerous times. Nm 98. I sold all mine for around a grand, purchased some again for $600. Went down after movie 1 then up before 2, then down again. Sold rest a few months ago, not sure it will go back down again or when. Captain marvel went down after movie. Shazam Blink Bishop Cable New mutants Preacher Outcast Iron Fist Jessica Jones. Gamora Nebula I think? Pretty much any villian Whiplash Ego Ultron. Your A listers don't move much Capt IM Hulk Thor. 

X23 a grand or more to 600 or 700. Harley 2 grand to 1400. Old man logan. They just keep popping in my head.

Edited by I_Am_Not_A_Cat
More

1 minute ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

I seen it happen numerous times. Nm 98. I sold all mine for around a grand, purchased some again for $600. Went down after movie 1 then up before 2, then down again. Sold rest a few months ago, not sure it will go back down again or when. Captain marvel went down after movie. Shazam Blink Bishop Cable New mutants Preacher Outcast Iron Fist Jessica Jones. Gamora Nebula I think? Pretty much any villian Whiplash Ego Ultron. Your A listers don't move much Capt IM Hulk Thor. 

whats tthe current price on the books tho?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

whats tthe current price on the books tho?

Check online, easy to find. I named too many. But I sell well before the movie and if its something I like I buy back after the movie. If its a hero then before the trailer or even news of next movie. If its villian I let it plummet. I am not always right. I didn't think Nyx or Bat12 would fall much so didn't sell before movie. Didn't think Deadpool would fall but I buy collections so had a ton of them so moved some. Any one and done villian I sell before movie. Or lame 15 seconds of fame like last Jedi or gotham city sirens.

11 minutes ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

Check online, easy to find. I named too many. But I sell well before the movie and if its something I like I buy back after the movie. If its a hero then before the trailer or even news of next movie. If its villian I let it plummet. I am not always right. I didn't think Nyx or Bat12 would fall much so didn't sell before movie. Didn't think Deadpool would fall but I buy collections so had a ton of them so moved some. Any one and done villian I sell before movie. Or lame 15 seconds of fame like last Jedi or gotham city sirens.

what I'm seeing is they have continued to rise and are selling for considerably more than just before or just after the movie/TV shows.

6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Dump it now

Lol. It could still go up but you could buy something else that could go up more. I moved some because I wanted money now and summer is normally slower for sales though 2021 who knows. All depends on if you think he is going to be a villian and never seen again or be back again in future projects. Unless its mega keys I usually have multiple books. For heroes I will sell at least half of my copies. More depending on how good I think the movie will be and number of copies of book available. I like X23 and movie looked good so I kept copies, turned out book still went down so missed out on a few bucks. Can care less about Shazam and Captain Marvel. Not like its hard to find a shazam or ms marvel 1 so sold every single copy. That worked out good. Now they should both start to rise in value so don't anyone come along in the future telling me I made a mistake. I could have bought back in on them at anytime, even now, just choosing not too. Actually have picked them up in collections, will hold until they pick up some. But majority of time I sell some keep some. One shot villians I sell every single copy. Few exceptions like if their are multiple first appearances in the book. 

37 minutes ago, kav said:

what I'm seeing is they have continued to rise and are selling for considerably more than just before or just after the movie/TV shows.

I dunno. I don't have gpa or anything. But thor 132 133 whatever 1st whiplash seem to be a lot less than pre movie. Ultron has picked up some buy doesn't seem to be pre movie high. I can't pass up a slight deal on nyx3 bat 12 and until the march 2021 market jump I pretty much paid the same prices on them for 4 years. I had been buying up asm 300 for same price for almost 2 years after venom movie. Maybe I just kept finding deals.  Archangel and Apocalypse crashed after movie, stayed down a good while. After Spiderverse uf4 didn't do much until george flyod. Avenging spiderman 9 ms marvel shazam 1 don't seem to have moved. They should be moving up soon, surprised they haven't. Just about everything that used to be something came back spring of 2021. People are speculating on xmen people who have already been in movies. Well captain marvel and shazam are definitely coming back. No idea why nobody is putting money there.

And then there's....... (drum roll please)...... Loki.

I could never figure out why JIM 85 wasn't going for more money.  It was under valued for SO long.  Wow, that has changed.

I think Loki's value is here to stay, and not just because of the new series.   He's simply become such a beloved character in the MCU.

1 minute ago, gadzukes said:

And then there's....... (drum roll please)...... Loki.

I could never figure out why JIM 85 wasn't going for more money.  It was under valued for SO long.  Wow, that has changed.

I think Loki's value is here to stay, and not just because of the new series.   He's simply become such a beloved character in the MCU.

all the Thors were undervalued for many years thats why I stocked up on them.