• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags and boards with too much air in them?

11 posts in this topic

I bought the following:

E. Gerber Full-Backs 'Standard' 42-Mil Backing Boards & Mylites 2 'Standard' 2-Mil Comic Book Mylar Sleeves -

For my collection of modern comics.

They have a weird fit to them.

It seems that too much air is in each bag, and few of the tops of the books rest against the boards. The tops of most of my books look warped.

I bought some very cheap bags and boards, and while the boards are flimsy, the books fit in those bags and boards better.

Anyone else ever see this? Will keeping my books in the "puffy" bags (best way to describe them) hurt the books?

Basically, it seems these bags are too big, have trapped air in them, and my comics look warped on the top.

So do you squish them first, and then tape them?

I tried that and they still seem to trap too much air.

I'll try to post an image later. I just hope there isn't too much air in the bags. 

12 hours ago, cgcrock said:

I'll try to post an image later. I just hope there isn't too much air in the bags. 

I 'tape' them first.

It's a process. I haven't done it in awhile, so IIRC, I'd bag 10 and then squish. Bag another 10 and squish all 20, etc.

As long as the bags are flat against the cover, you'll be fine.

19 hours ago, cgcrock said:

The only time I have ever seen this is with polypropylene bags.  I would re-bag a stack of like 30 books. Let the pressure settle them out, then take the bottom 15 and put them on the top ones, do the same thing, then they can go into the box. If you try to stack too many, they will slide over from all the air.

I’ve had bags that are a bit “poofy” when I tape them up but I just put them in the bin and over a short period of time, the air escapes. After all I only have one piece of tape closing em up so the air does leave...not really a concern for me. 

Spending all this money on comics and y'all can't even afford one of these to get the air out of your bags.

7144Sr2GALL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Or up your investment potential by getting a vacuum sealer.

71t1CEd++2L._AC_SX522_.jpg

But for'reals, when it comes to standard bags/boards, I stack my books on top of each other to push the air out.  For mylar, when you put it in a box, the pressure from the surrounding books should be enough.