• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hello I have a few CGC comic questions
2 2

4 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2020 at 6:00 PM, Amspider said:

Hello, first timer!!! I wanted to know if I can drop off my books at CGC. Also how’s their Cleaning and Pressing service?

I just moved to Orlando and I wanted to drop off my books but they have suspended it due to COVID-19. Once things clear up the assumption is they will start in person drop offs again.

There seems to be a lot of disagreement on the boards on whether CCS does a good job of cleaning and pressing. One point that is indisputable is it adds roughly 60 business days to the turnaround time.

Also, see the below cut and paste from the CGC FAQ that describes the defects that can and cannot be improved with cleaning and pressing:

The first step is to identify a comic book’s “good” defects and “bad” defects. In short, good defects can be diminished or removed with pressing, and the bad defects cannot. Here is a comprehensive list of both:

Good defects (do not break color) Bad defects
Dents
Bends
Folds
Light creases
Minor spine stresses
Impacted corners or edges
Warping
Ripples (with no stains present)
Spine rolls
Waviness
Stacking bends
Cover impressions
Light pencil marks (usually in white areas)
Dirt
Substance
Creases that break color
Missing chips or pieces
Tears
Stains
Detached staples or staple tears
Spine stresses that break color
Fading
Fingerprints or smudges
Dust shadows or sun shadows
Rusted staples or rust stains
Rounded or blunted corners
Pen markings or printer ink
Cover veins
Brown or brittle cover or pages

Identifying good press candidates can be challenging because it requires you to understand the projected outcome. It is important to have a comprehensive understanding of CGC’s grading standards and to be able to visualize the grade of the comic without the presence of removable defects.

It is important to note that just because a comic exhibits good defects does not mean it will automatically increase in grade with a pressing. The good defects must be weighed against the presence of any bad defects. For instance, a comic book graded 8.5 with a moderate non-color breaking bend and fingerprints may still grade an 8.5 after pressing due to the fingerprints.

Hello, first timer!!! I wanted to know if I can drop off my books at CGC. Also how’s their Cleaning and Pressing service?

You have to mail your comics in. Also, their cleaning and pressing is a mixed bag. 

Read this thread to know more:

CCS is a very busy place---expect it to take a while. As for the quality of their service, I've had good results. But please do some research on which books are better candidates in order to improve your odds of success...