• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Contest!! Starts 7-31-21. See Page 5 for Details- Prizes are free CGC grading for the winners. All boardies in good standing can enter!
4 4

196 posts in this topic

VERY cool of you and congrats!  OK, I'll bite

I'm an old man and probably don't have long to live

I have NEVER submitted a book to a lifetime of imprisonment inside a plastic coffin.

But, just one time before I go, I need to take a trip to the dark side. Maybe a bucket list item.

Wait, my wife just told me not to do it. She knows I will be sorry, but don't listen to her...:devil:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

VERY cool of you and congrats!  OK, I'll bite

I'm an old man and probably don't have long to live

I have NEVER submitted a book to a lifetime of imprisonment inside a plastic coffin.

But, just one time before I go, I need to take a trip to the dark side. Maybe a bucket list item.

Wait, my wife just told me not to do it. She knows I will be sorry, but don't listen to her...:devil:

Conflict, strife, marital uneasiness. This one has a lot going for it!

An Ode

There was a nerdy child, long ago

Bullied and beaten, as these things go

Books and comics became sanctuary

To this child as he did grow

Through maturity the fascination stayed

Escapism from the world decayed

One room now a wall to wall library

Best known as the reality blockade

Then one day, a new site was found

The CGC Boards, where nerds abound

Where the best can be legendary

With comics that leave you spellbound

From then on, a slab convert was born

Though he quickly began to mourn

So many raws but ‘Cases are Necessary!’

But how to pay became a thorn

Until the amazing contest of Electricprune

Who most kindly decided to share his boon

For proving his ToD set had no contemporary

A hero, he offered up 3 slabbings, submitted soon

So, allow me to dedicate this ode to you

To sing praise of your feat… and as my entrance, too

Everyone, raise a glass and cheer, as is customary

We will sing your ballads long after your reign is through!

:martini:

Do not know how to compare to such great stories,  bribery,  and poetry.  

On 8/4/2020 at 8:28 PM, electricprune said:

D85A22BD-E8DF-456D-918B-DB2AAB00F7B3.jpeg

But your Star Wars reference does have me thinking about Seagulls ! Stop it Now!

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
Using The Dark Side

8 hours ago, Bkd Reader said:

8 hours ago, Bkd Reader said:

An Ode

There was a nerdy child, long ago

Bullied and beaten, as these things go

Books and comics became sanctuary

To this child as he did grow

Through maturity the fascination stayed

Escapism from the world decayed

One room now a wall to wall library

Best known as the reality blockade

Then one day, a new site was found

The CGC Boards, where nerds abound

Where the best can be legendary

With comics that leave you spellbound

From then on, a slab convert was born

Though he quickly began to mourn

So many raws but ‘Cases are Necessary!’

But how to pay became a thorn

Until the amazing contest of Electricprune

Who most kindly decided to share his boon

For proving his ToD set had no contemporary

A hero, he offered up 3 slabbings, submitted soon

So, allow me to dedicate this ode to you

To sing praise of your feat… and as my entrance, too

Everyone, raise a glass and cheer, as is customary

We will sing your ballads long after your reign is through!

:martini:

Woah!!

Edited by electricprune

And down the stretch they come!

Ok, we are getting close. I have to run some errands with my daughter this morning, so I am going to extend the deadline just a bit. 

Entries will now be taken until 1 PM. Winner will be announced by 3 PM or as soon after 1 o'clock as we can look at them! 3 PM should be the latest.

My 3rd child, a son, was born at U of M in Ann Arbor in 2018. 
I know people in Ann Arbor. Not anyone prominent, just saying. One of these people’s names is Lance.
I’m a MI native who defected to IN in 2019. 

I solemnly swear to, if I win, submit the most worthless books that will also be new to the census.

I actually enjoy eating anchovies, and I am left handed.

11 minutes ago, Joosh said:

My 3rd child, a son, was born at U of M in Ann Arbor in 2018. 
I know people in Ann Arbor. Not anyone prominent, just saying. One of these people’s names is Lance.
I’m a MI native who defected to IN in 2019. 

I solemnly swear to, if I win, submit the most worthless books that will also be new to the census.

I actually enjoy eating anchovies, and I am left handed.

This is a guy who clearly gets it!!

(Just thought I'd sneak in an old story before deadline.  Win or lose, I laud your give-back to the community)

My grandfather used to tell me stories about his comic collecting days.  To hear tell, he had a collection where Edgar Church paused to doff his cap and genuflect when he passed gramps’ house.  But even then, gramps knew the value of protecting his beloved books so he would tell me that, to ensure they would be around for generations, he would encase each one in steel and weld them shut.  “Gee gramps… how could you tell which book was in which steel slab?”  “Easy… I’d use some old Seabiscuit glue and slap a paper label on the outside of each one.  Thousands of ‘em.  All safe and sound and preserved for my future grandson to open and read. ”  My eyes grew wide and I blurted out “WOW!”  Let me at ‘em gramps!”  He leaned back in his rocker with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.  “I gave ‘em all up in the WWII metal drives.  They were needed for the war effort and by gum, I was going to do my part.”  I looked at him incredulously.  “But… but gramps… didn’t you open the cases and get the books out?  You could have just donated the steel!”  “No time for that!” he exclaimed.  “The Axis was breathin’ down our necks and that steel was needed fast.  If I hadn’t moved right-quick, we’d all be Sieg Heilin’ right about now and eatin’ bratwurst for breakfast.  And you know,” he leaned forward conspiratorially, “how much I hate bratwurst.” 

I looked at him with newfound perception and awareness.  On one hand, the story had the wisp of truth to it and I would hardly be blamed for the mixed emotions it elicited in me.  I pictured myself beaming with pride at his sacrifice, all the while repeatedly clubbing him senseless with my Louisville Slugger.  Yet on the other hand, it could have all been a fabrication as gramps had been hit one too many times by foul balls and he wasn’t the most reliable.  In any case, I quickly left his house and made my way home as it was getting dark and he would soon be out on the porch with his gun shooting at anything that moved – animal or human .  “They’re all varmints” he would chuckle, as he lined up the victims in his rapidly fading eyesight.

Edited by SeniorSurfer

56 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

(Just thought I'd sneak in an old story before deadline.  Win or lose, I laud your give-back to the community)

My grandfather used to tell me stories about his comic collecting days.  To hear tell, he had a collection where Edgar Church paused to doff his cap and genuflect when he passed gramps’ house.  But even then, gramps knew the value of protecting his beloved books so he would tell me that, to ensure they would be around for generations, he would encase each one in steel and weld them shut.  “Gee gramps… how could you tell which book was in which steel slab?”  “Easy… I’d use some old Seabiscuit glue and slap a paper label on the outside of each one.  Thousands of ‘em.  All safe and sound and preserved for my future grandson to open and read. ”  My eyes grew wide and I blurted out “WOW!”  Let me at ‘em gramps!”  He leaned back in his rocker with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.  “I gave ‘em all up in the WWII metal drives.  They were needed for the war effort and by gum, I was going to do my part.”  I looked at him incredulously.  “But… but gramps… didn’t you open the cases and get the books out?  You could have just donated the steel!”  “No time for that!” he exclaimed.  “The Axis was breathin’ down our necks and that steel was needed fast.  If I hadn’t moved right-quick, we’d all be Sieg Heilin’ right about now and eatin’ bratwurst for breakfast.  And you know,” he leaned forward conspiratorially, “how much I hate bratwurst.” 

I looked at him with newfound perception and awareness.  On one hand, the story had the wisp of truth to it and I would hardly be blamed for the mixed emotions it elicited in me.  I pictured myself beaming with pride at his sacrifice, all the while repeatedly clubbing him senseless with my Louisville Slugger.  Yet on the other hand, it could have all been a fabrication as gramps had been hit one too many times by foul balls and he wasn’t the most reliable.  In any case, I quickly left his house and made my way home as it was getting dark and he would soon be out on the porch with his gun shooting at anything that moved – animal or human .  “They’re all varmints” he would chuckle, as he lined up the victims in his rapidly fading eyesight.

Cool books, The Axis Powers, possible elderly abuse... can’t wait to see how this one is judged!

8 minutes ago, electricprune said:

Ok entires are officially closed!!

Winner will be posted by 3 PM Eastern Time.

yes thank you, I avoided posting again to not confuse my entry lol but this was fun! so thanks!

3 PM Eastern. Time for the results!

Ok, folks, the grades are in! First off, I want to thank everyone for entering. Secondly, let me tell you how I did it. I gave my wife a piece of paper and told her to write down each contestant's name. Then I either read her the entry or showed her the picture. After that, she would enter her grade without showing or telling me what it was. I would then give her my grade.

Seems easy, right? Wrong!! While giving he one of my grades, the American judge (me) was viciously attacked by the Italian judge (my wife) for a grade she disagreed with. I had my hair pulled and I now have scratches "about my face, breast, chest, neck and head!" 

In the end, it became clear that I could not give out just one prize. I am going to give three!!! Here they are:

Spoiler

3rd place- Crops068 Crops was the only one that made his entry via PM. He really had to do it because he was submitting on behalf of his friend. He wanted to thank him for being so nice to him and others when he joined the boards not too long ago. He finished a half point short of the second place finisher and had he had the extra half point, he would have tied. So Adamantium is the third place finisher! Prize is one Modern or 1 Value!

2nd Place- Kilowatt! He finished very high with both judges. Prize is two moderns, or one Value and one Modern!

And the Winner!!!

BKD Reader! With an overall high grade of 9.5 from the Italian judge and an 8 from the American judge, he finishes with an incredible score of 9!! You can choose 2 Value and 1 Modern, or 3 Modern if you prefer.

I will update how they are moving through the process in this thread. With everyone's permission, I will share the books and grades as well. If you are not comfortable with that, they will not be shared. I will send each winner a PM shortly!

Spoiler

I also want to add this. My interactions with the winners, to the best of my knowledge have been this:

Crops 068 and Adamantium: I THINK Crops may have purchased books from me in the past. I don't recall anything else. Adamantium and I have had very little direct interaction except a few likes on the CGC Return times thread. I don't recall anything else.

Kilowatt- I think he has maybe purchased from me before as well. I don't even know that for sure.

BKD Reader- I don't think we have had a single interaction before this thread. At least that is to the best of my knowledge.