• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone take advantage of the lack of maximum for SS Series to grade older books?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Hey, it just dawned on me that you could use the CGC SS series to bypass the fees associated with higher tier books. Like lets say you have an ASM 1. That book is at a rather high tier to grade, but if you send it to be signed by someone, it could cost as low as $50 to grade. Obviously you are stuck with a book signed by a creator that didn't work on it, but does that reduce the value of your book? Like say you get McFarlane to sign that Spidey 1. Is it stupid, frugal or shrewed? Your thoughts please.

37 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Hey, it just dawned on me that you could use the CGC SS series to bypass the fees associated with higher tier books. Like lets say you have an ASM 1. That book is at a rather high tier to grade, but if you send it to be signed by someone, it could cost as low as $50 to grade. Obviously you are stuck with a book signed by a creator that didn't work on it, but does that reduce the value of your book? Like say you get McFarlane to sign that Spidey 1. Is it stupid, frugal or shrewed? Your thoughts please.

I'm gonna vote Stupid. 

You would definitely affect its resale value as few would want a book signed by someone who didn't work on it. You'd have a much larger selection of buyers willing to spend more for an unsigned Universal than a McFarlane signed ASM#1. The difference in resale value would easily eliminate whatever you saved in grading fees.

7 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

I'm gonna vote Stupid. 

You would definitely affect its resale value as few would want a book signed by someone who didn't work on it. You'd have a much larger selection of buyers willing to spend more for an unsigned Universal than a McFarlane signed ASM#1. The difference in resale value would easily eliminate whatever you saved in grading fees.

Sounds good, and makes sense, thanks!

55 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

I'm gonna vote Stupid. 

Hey man, thanks again for answering. I have another question, it's semi related. of course, having Todd sign a silver age book is dumb. But what about Signing a book starring a character he is know for (like venom) even though he didn't draw that specific comic.

What about having Mark Bagley & Sam de la Rosa both sign an ASM 362? Would that be dumb? 

Edited by William-James88

A lot of this is really up to you and why you're getting them signed. 

If it's for resale, I'm still of the belief that if you didn't work on the book you shouldn't sign it. My exception is if you're the character's creator. Since Todd is co-credited (w/ Michelinie) as a Venom creator, then it's cool in my book. Bagley worked on ASM 362, so cool. 

When I first got into the whole SS thing, I was eager to get anything signed by anyone. But looking back, it ended up being a lot of wasted money that I could have saved for someone I REALLY wanted, rather than getting a signature just because I could. I easily could have gotten a few sketch covers with the money I spent. Live & learn.

But that was my experience. Ultimately, they're YOUR books. Think about the pros & cons and whether you'll look back and wonder, "Why did I do that?". If the answer is still yes, go for it.

Do keep in mind that while conventions are still a no-go, CGC will most likely continue to announce more Private Signings, you never know who may pop up. It might be worth saving for someone you really want.

2c

Edited by Chazgee

4 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

A lot of this is really up to you and why you're getting them signed. 

If it's for resale, I'm still of the belief that if you didn't work on the book you shouldn't sign it. My exception is if you're the character's creator. Since Todd is co-credited (w/ Michelinie) as a Venom creator, then it's cool in my book. Bagley worked on ASM 362, so cool. 

When I first got into the whole SS thing, I was eager to get anything signed by anyone. But looking back, it ended up being a lot of wasted money that I could have saved for someone I REALLY wanted, rather than getting a signature just because I could. I easily could have gotten a few sketch covers with the money I spent. Live & learn.

But that was my experience. Ultimately, they're YOUR books. Think about the pros & cons and whether you'll look back and wonder, "Why did I do that?". If the answer is still yes, go for it.

Keep do in mind that while conventions are still a no-go, CGC will most likely continue to announce more Private Signings, you never know who may pop up. It might be worth saving for someone you really want.

2c

This is really good advice, thanks.