• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feelings on Unpublished Pages?
3 3

115 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, vodou said:

I love half-inked pages where the rest is still in pencil. Love 'em all day long and much more than a fully finished unpublished piece of similar content/execution.

Yep, I know many enjoy that type of thing. I don't kind pencil only work, it isn't anything necessarily to do with ink or the lack thereof. Something about unfinished work bugs me - maybe the loss of potential? I don't know. 

Simon's post is fitting, since I just remembered I do have another Keown unpublished fit, that is also an example of the unpublished version being worth more than the published version (like most rules, unpublished being worth less than the published versions is not absolute and there are always exceptions)

In my case it is an X-factor DPS featuring Jean Grey and Beast.  The published version is actually the same image as the unpublished, but the published used a photocopy of Keown's blue line on craft-in, while my unpublished  version has his pencils.  There is also a long story as I bough both halves of the DPS years apart:

CAF Link with backstory

Thanks for looking

Malvin

6 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Speaking of Byrne, his recent “fan” X-Men story pages - all pencils - have been selling at pretty high prices. None of it’s been published. 

But that is different. They were never intended to be published. The thread started talking about pages drawn intended to be published but for some reason they never were. With the Byrne Fan Fiction  its artwork he did for himself with no intention of printing it. Since he hasn't worked for Marvel in years this is the first time new artwork has appeared on the market of Byrne drawing the classic X-Men from the early 80s. Its the high demand for this work. While the page prices seem high they are not compared to vintage X-Men published pages inked by Austin.

6 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

But that is different. They were never intended to be published. The thread started talking about pages drawn intended to be published but for some reason they never were. With the Byrne Fan Fiction  its artwork he did for himself with no intention of printing it. Since he hasn't worked for Marvel in years this is the first time new artwork has appeared on the market of Byrne drawing the classic X-Men from the early 80s. Its the high demand for this work. While the page prices seem high they are not compared to vintage X-Men published pages inked by Austin.

Oh. Marvel apparently talked to Byrne about publishing them. They couldn’t work out a deal. 

I believe I actually do have a page of unpublished art now that I think of it.

I bought what was supposed to be the cover for a GI Joe Snake Eyes comic from IDW or the cover of a TPB... either way it was never used.  It was advertised from the artist, Agustin Padilla as a cover... to this day I have no idea if or where it was ever published... it might have been scrapped at the last minute... either way... it's a great Snake Eyes... 

QQ8TuX05_0509160007441gpadd.jpg

21 hours ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

That seems a perfect lead-in for me to contribute my example to this topic.  A mostly pencils Dale Keown Hulk 369 cover.  I've thought about getting someone to blueline ink it but never got beyond that.  Bob McLeod would be the obvious choice as he was one of the early run inkers.

If anyone has unpublished Keown Hulk pages/covers, I'd definitely be interested.  Not the pre-run stuff I'm afraid.vVGZ9jUg_1912132018031.jpg.aa2a7c6035dde4814d4a5c89d6c5ba3d.jpg

I love looking at this page and seeing Dale's process. Great piece!

My most desired unpublished pages were drawn by Nick Cardy for Teen Titans 20.  I would love to get more pages.  The story, "Titans Fit the Battle of Jericho!", was written by Marv Wolfman and Len Wein.  Nick was inking it and DC famously killed the story.  It would've introduced a black character.  DC basically had no black characters at the time.  And he likely would not become an ongoing character.  Nick laid out the story and it was already lettered.  Apparently some of the dialogue was too "over the top" for DC.  Neal Adams wrote and penciled a new story in a few days time (also famously).  Nick inked the story and I think at least one of his original pages was used.  So the art was not published.  Not because of aesthetics but due to controversy, for lack of a better word.

Teen Titans 26 introduced Mal Duncan, a non-powered teen in the ghetto who informally joined the team in that issue.  Mal was a member of the team, appearing in almost all the remaining issues until the title was cancelled at issue 43.  Then his character went through various iterations where he became the Guardian, Hornblower and Vox.

And then almost 2 years later after Teen Titans 20, John Stewart (Green Lantern) appeared. 

Here's Nick's unfinished art to page 2 and page 19.

tt20p2unpub.jpg

tt20p19unpub.jpg

Edited by Will_K