• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feelings on Unpublished Pages?
3 3

115 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

I don't necessarily agree with you.  I think that nowadays collectors are more focused on what the big auction houses are offering and the excitement that comes with the competition of bidding against other collectors.

To give you an example of this, at one time I owned a selection of Magic the Gathering paintings.  I decided to sell all bar a few examples I wanted to keep.  Over a period of months I drip-fed art for direct sale on one of the MTG FB groups and only a few paintings sold at my asking prices.  Later on I decided to re-offer the same paintings that no-one seemingly wanted to buy first time round on the same FB group . . . only this time in auction format.  Guess what happened?  All the MTG paintings sold at much higher prices than I was originally asking for them.

I was trying to be blatantly sarcastic, but I think maybe those views are a little too close to what some people actually say. 

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

Well, you know what they say about sarcasm . . .

Here's a real beauty. Look at DOOM.

Ken Landgraf pencils and inked by Armando Gil and Dave Simons

Ken worked as an assistant to Gil Kane and Rich Buckler. He studied with Eisner and Kurtzman.I spoke with Ken and this page was created in the 1980's. The art is painted with Dr. Martin ink dyes.

Contributing artists Simons and Gil worked out of Ken's NYC studio. What a hoot that this page was created on a DC Board while working on Marvel characters.

DR DOOM BATTLES THE AVENGERS Comic Art

On 8/12/2020 at 2:07 PM, The Voord said:

Unpublished pre-code ACG cover from my collection. Issue range, for which this cover was intended, would have been #s 28 - 33 (1952).  Artist is Ken Bald.

How many pre-code ACG Horror covers are know to exist?

zhfuVY4x_2901181350381sbpi.jpg

Menacing and so rad! I love this.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:52 AM, awayne83 said:

20191203_195151.thumb.jpg.6aed5d8a5499cc2a4b4d36d79793c3da.jpg

I bought this Defenders #10 cover from David not long after i saw it solicited. Between then and the release, Bendis had announced his departure for DC. The series was wrapped early and this cover was replaced with what would've been the cover for an issue #11. 

So the lesson here is, the early bird may get the worm, but he might end up overpaying for it 😆. Still, love the image of Daredevil, and the cover has been archived so hopefully it may end up published elsewhere someday.

That's gonna show up on an omnibus or something. Just too darn good not to be used although for now that's the direction Marvel chose.

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

Ken worked as an assistant to Gil Kane and Rich Buckler. He studied with Eisner and Kurtzman.I spoke with Ken and this page was created in the 1980's. The art is painted with Dr. Martin ink dyes.

Contributing artists Simons and Gil worked out of Ken's NYC studio. What a hoot that this page was created on a DC Board while working on Marvel characters.

That is a very good Landgraf. A lot of his work has a certain stiffness to the characters, like they were posed.  If you see his stuff on eBay, like his over-the-top drawings (things like “Nazi babes” fighting zombies) you can see what I mean. Really nice guy, by the way. 
Also, the artist of one of my destroyed Phantom Stranger commissions (from basement flooding).

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

That is a very good Landgraf. A lot of his work has a certain stiffness to the characters, like they were posed.  If you see his stuff on eBay, like his over-the-top drawings (things like “Nazi babes” fighting zombies) you can see what I mean. Really nice guy, by the way. 
Also, the artist of one of my destroyed Phantom Stranger commissions (from basement flooding).

I’m sorry to hear about the flooding. Ken is a great guy but you are correct about the recent work. Stiff poses but a lot of his fans like that. 

This vintage work comes to life with the inking of Gil and Simons. Ken was working with a lot of top artists and the creativity at that time pushed many hungry artists to get better.

Gee sorry again about the Phantom Stranger. You are forever linked to the Phantom Stranger in my mind. So it makes me sad when you don’t win something you were hoping to get.

Basement flooding no bueno 😢

39 minutes ago, RBerman said:

A bunch of unpublished Michael Bair X-Men pages were auctioned late last year. They were intended for distribution along with the sports magazine Pro Action #4, but that never happened. I was happy to get a page with Spiral and Mojo, who are always a fun team, and I guess they're planning to disrupt the Super Bowl or something.

HgMN8xW.jpg.0898e4daa33645b35cca2b85a7077ee0.jpg

Nice! Mike Bair pencilled those? It has an Art Adams feel to it.

Malvin

Just now, malvin said:

Nice! Mike Bair pencilled those? It has an Art Adams feel to it.

Malvin

Yes, it's Mike Bair. I had to do a little detective work after the auction to figure out who it was, since the artist was not identified in the auction description. Bair confirmed directly to me that it was his work. "Yes indeed I did an X-Men story for the NFL comic. It was a Mojo story and was drawn in that 90's X-Men style. Pencils & Inks by me circa 94'." I agree that he preserved the Adams look, which is a big plus for those characters.

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

I’m sorry to hear about the flooding. Ken is a great guy but you are correct about the recent work. Stiff poses but a lot of his fans like that. 

This vintage work comes to life with the inking of Gil and Simons. Ken was working with a lot of top artists and the creativity at that time pushed many hungry artists to get better.

Gee sorry again about the Phantom Stranger. You are forever linked to the Phantom Stranger in my mind. So it makes me sad when you don’t win something you were hoping to get.

Basement flooding no bueno 😢

Appreciate the sentiment, Kimo Sabe. But, I had him do the commission in the early 1980's. Even then, there was a stiffness to his work (but very good detailing). I vaguely recall some Hawkman page or pages where it was particularly evident.

3 hours ago, RBerman said:

A bunch of unpublished Michael Bair X-Men pages were auctioned late last year. They were intended for distribution along with the sports magazine Pro Action #4, but that never happened. I was happy to get a page with Spiral and Mojo, who are always a fun team, and I guess they're planning to disrupt the Super Bowl or something.

I’ve seen a lot of those pages around for sale the last year or two, and none of them struck me. But this one is rad. Congrats. 

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Appreciate the sentiment, Kimo Sabe. But, I had him do the commission in the early 1980's. Even then, there was a stiffness to his work (but very good detailing). I vaguely recall some Hawkman page or pages where it was particularly evident.

Ahh that’s too bad. Glad the detail was in there. 👍

21 hours ago, grapeape said:

A beauty indeed! And Marvel characters on a DC board adds an extra layer of novelty, for sure!

10 hours ago, RBerman said:

It's too bad this didn't make it to print (ignoring our collecting desires). It looks like a fun story. I really like this page. Nice get!

I picked up a piece from Paul Pelletier that's from an unpublished Justice League story. Here's a copy/paste from my CAF gallery note: "I asked him for some background info about why it never saw print. He said it was a 2-issue inventory (or fill-in) Justice League story that was written by Tom DeFalco. He pencilled it over 3 years ago, and Sandra Hope was the inker. Unfortunately, Sandra had a lot of work on her plate inking other projects, so it took her 2 years to do this one. By that time, The New 52 and Rebirth had both passed, so this story was 'lost in limbo.' However, he said the story was recently lettered and colored, so he hopes it will eventually be published somewhere, even if it's a digital-only publication. He said it was a fun story to do, and from the pages of art I've seen, it does indeed look to be so."

justice league unpublished story part 2 page 10.jpg