• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Feelings on Unpublished Pages?
3 3

115 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Never published to my knowledge, but I like it  :luhv:

I figure I will never own the original image it's based on, so this is a pretty nice substitute

Worth noting: check out the near-perfect roundness of the kirby krackle elements :grin:

whatif1_cvr.jpg.d21e01ecb94d5a50904b5a871dfde8ae.jpg

Wow - love this!!

On 11/16/2020 at 6:27 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

NM. Changed my mind on it being a good forum question 

What was your first opinion, and what is your new opinion? What made you change your mind?

On 11/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, Unca Ben said:

I figure I will never own the original image it's based on, so this is a pretty nice substitute

Worth noting: check out the near-perfect roundness of the kirby krackle elements :grin:

It's too bad this inventory story never made it to print. Coincidentally, I just bought the original comic run of this story from Half Price Books this month. They had all 4 issues. Awesome non-Kirby-but-still-great page pickup!

2 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

What was your first opinion, and what is your new opinion? What made you change your mind?

Oh, I didn’t change my mind on the opinion, just that it was not a great question for here the way I’d asked. I had tied it to a personal situation, but I realized it could read as a negative about the other person involved. They were really pleasant, so I didn’t want to do that, and possibly mistakenly hurt their reputation.

Basically, my question was to ask if something is considered unpublished if it’s used to make stats for an actual published page. An artist made a page, and then realized that they wanted to change one aspect throughout, so they made that correction in each panel by making stats of each panel with the correction, turned those into a stat page, and used that for publication. The two pages, unused and published, look nearly identical, except for the changed aspect. I’d assume the stat page is gone, if that is how it went down, but the page with pencils and inks that wasn’t “used” was left behind. So, I was asking what that is considered, and how to value the work.

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board

6 hours ago, fmaz said:

Some people here know this story, so for those who do... I apologize for repeating myself.  
I purchased this unpublished Bagley page from that series of charity books that supposedly had four issues but only the first one featuring the X-Men was ever published (You’ll note it’s labeled BBDO issue #4, p.1).  Normally I’d never go for an unpublished page, but this thing was so sweet, AND unlike a ton of Bagley stuff it was inked, so it was even nicer.  I kind of considered it like a commission that I bought second hand. 
DDE623E7-3786-4A39-A3CA-D2DD105BD318.jpeg.d2aeb31d868d3acecb9dd3920779fec9.jpeg

Flash forward to last year, a few years after I’ve purchased the page and framed it and have it up on my wall... when I come across it as a PUBLISHED page in Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem #2!

37ADB9A8-A738-4144-8664-1AE2604361F3.thumb.jpeg.00994fd784fb672c10ab72c4455c2dac.jpeg
Needless to say I was thrilled and kind of blown away! My guess is I wasn’t the only person who loved it, and when that charity book as cancelled this page got repurposed as a splash for this book. Gave me a great story for the page, and I honestly got it for a tremendous price considering both of us thought it was unpublished at time of the sale. But that being said? What made me love the page before is still what makes me love it today... so I honestly think, as others have said, it’s just about what you like and are willing to pay.  Bonus for you if the “unpublished” status of a page you fall in love with puts it into your price range!

Curiously, I like your uncolored version better. I think someone overdid the gradient on the top and bottom.

Edited by Rick2you2

31 minutes ago, Twanj said:

In general, I wouldn't get unpublished work but this one I had to!

I've been looking for a Lim Captain America cover for years and this came up. I'd never seen it before, but it's Lim's nostalgic 1991 style and better than some of his published covers.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1647290

AvengersPosterPinup_1991_RonLim.thumb.jpg.db173d1528f5984b5390c4cbddc0f628.jpg

This would scratch the Ron Lim Captain America itch for me as well. Great piece. 

On 11/23/2020 at 7:06 PM, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Oh, I didn’t change my mind on the opinion, just that it was not a great question for here the way I’d asked. I had tied it to a personal situation, but I realized it could read as a negative about the other person involved. They were really pleasant, so I didn’t want to do that, and possibly mistakenly hurt their reputation.

Basically, my question was to ask if something is considered unpublished if it’s used to make stats for an actual published page. An artist made a page, and then realized that they wanted to change one aspect throughout, so they made that correction in each panel by making stats of each panel with the correction, turned those into a stat page, and used that for publication. The two pages, unused and published, look nearly identical, except for the changed aspect. I’d assume the stat page is gone, if that is how it went down, but the page with pencils and inks that wasn’t “used” was left behind. So, I was asking what that is considered, and how to value the work.

Maybe your original post didn't come out like you wanted, but I think it's a good question. In my opinion, I would consider both the original "unpublished" piece AND the new mostly stat page as published. I "technically" have an unpublished/published page such as this. The artist wanted a panel moved to overlap 2 other panels a bit, but didn't want the original page cut up. So they made a stat copy and cut that, and the full stat was what was published. But the original art...is still the art. So it's published, right? It's just different because of panel placement, or in your case, because of alterations. But the underlying art was still art that was used for publication.

8 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

Maybe your original post didn't come out like you wanted, but I think it's a good question. In my opinion, I would consider both the original "unpublished" piece AND the new mostly stat page as published. I "technically" have an unpublished/published page such as this. The artist wanted a panel moved to overlap 2 other panels a bit, but didn't want the original page cut up. So they made a stat copy and cut that, and the full stat was what was published. But the original art...is still the art. So it's published, right? It's just different because of panel placement, or in your case, because of alterations. But the underlying art was still art that was used for publication.

Thank you, that really helped galvanize my thought process. It is published, I’d just treat it similarly to newer art where pencils and inks might be on two separate pages. The price breakdown would skew more to the pencil/ink page than a typical pencil and ink price split, since this is finished vs stat correction page. I appreciate you dragging it out of me, it helped. 😁

On 11/26/2020 at 12:42 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I have a page from Pitarra's "Manhattan Projects" which was apparently digitally rearranged for publication as well. Its panels are spread throughout multiple pages of the finished book, which goes back and forth between several parallel scenes.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, Twanj said:

In general, I wouldn't get unpublished work but this one I had to!

I've been looking for a Lim Captain America cover for years and this came up. I'd never seen it before, but it's Lim's nostalgic 1991 style and better than some of his published covers.

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1647290

AvengersPosterPinup_1991_RonLim.thumb.jpg.db173d1528f5984b5390c4cbddc0f628.jpg

damned strong team there, could take all comers!

I am a big Jim Aparo fan and I had the good fortune of winning two pages from an unpublished inventory story called Nocturnal Flight. Looks like it was from the mid 90's when Jim was doing fill-ins. While unpublished I am so grateful to have two good examples of Jim's Batman as this is the only way I could afford a piece by him. 

Matt Todd's Comic Art Gallery - All Comic Art by Artist Jim Aparo (comicartfans.com) 

Jim Aparo Batman Page..jpg

Jim Aparo Batman Splash SCAN 5.4.20.JPG

I have an unpublished page, but not from a comic. It's from Sheldon Mayer's attempt to get Sugar and Spike into syndication on the comic page of newspapers around the country.

He tried twice and this is the "Sunday" from one of those tries. Click the link to get a bigger image and more information.
image.png.334fc2c348f33f95709e64a3875220cf.png

The full story is in the Description on the CAF link embedded in the image.

@Unca Ben shared this:

On 11/16/2020 at 5:42 PM, Unca Ben said:

And in another thread, @Nuttzo shared this:

On 9/2/2020 at 11:03 AM, Nuttzo said:

A Pablo Marcos piece Doom vs. Sphinx unpublished from What If? As a newbie I'm hoping I'm able to keep my collection villain heavy and pre-2000's. 

doom.jpg

And I got this a few months ago. I wonder how many pages were competed? If the full issue was done, I want to know why it wasn't printed. Does anyone have Pablo Marcos' contact info? I tried through his website but got an error message.

whatifdoom.jpg

I think the story behind why it was cut could make a page more interesting and valuable than a published page. For example, I collect comic art featuring LGBT characters and stories, so unpublished pages of LGBT storylines cut due to censorship is appealing to me, as it also gives some important historical perspectives into the cultural attitudes of the times. I have a sequence of pages from the New Mutants run that would have featured Anole's 'coming out' experience and suicide. His coming out ended up not happening until much later. The art and story were already fleshed out and created for several issues out and the pages were just about to hit the press, when overseers decided last second to pull it and ordered a rewrite because of how controversial it was. Some of the pages were reused but the original story I think carries a pretty heavy tone and deeper message worth preserving.

Also having articles and forums dedicated to the unpublished story also make it appealing. 

Edited by Mike R V

29 minutes ago, Mike R V said:

I think the story behind why it was cut could make a page more interesting and valuable than a published page. For example, I collect comic art featuring LGBT characters and stories, so unpublished pages of LGBT storylines cut due to censorship is appealing to me, as it also gives some important historical perspectives into the cultural attitudes of the times. I have a sequence of pages from the New Mutants run that would have featured Anole's 'coming out' experience and suicide. His coming out ended up not happening until much later. The art and story were already fleshed out and created for several issues out and the pages were just about to hit the press, when overseers decided last second to pull it and ordered a rewrite because of how controversial it was. Some of the pages were reused but the original story I think carries a pretty heavy tone and deeper message worth preserving.

Also having articles and forums dedicated to the unpublished story also make it appealing. 

Just out of curiosity, what is your oldest piece? I was wondering how far back the subject goes.

23 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your oldest piece? I was wondering how far back the subject goes.

Nothing before the 2000's in my collection. Partly because I didn't start reading comics till after the 2000's anyways..but also because it didn't become more mainstream until late. 

It is difficult to collect though, since most of the artists working on them now are newer or have transitioned into digital for most of the process. 

Edited by Mike R V