• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are graders notes 'private' ?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

We all have differing opinions regarding what flaws are more acceptable than others, and of their severity, so bearing that in mind, why are graders notes limited purely to CGC and the submitter of any given comic ?

Surely from a buying pov, people would (imo) be more inclined to buy a comic if they knew exactly what flaws it had, or otoh less  inclined to 'waste' their money on a comic that has specific issues that they wouldn't have otherwise bought it if they had known them.

I have never seen 1 seller, ever, list the graders notes in a sale. Surely from the view of the transparency of the industry this needs to change.

The notes are private because they are a revenue stream for CGC. 

I do see the notes provided proactively from time to time, but not generally.  Here's one good reason why they are not there.  Not everyone has the notes. 

If you own the book second hand, you won't have them unless you want to pay for them, or the original owner provided them to you when you bought it.

If you own it and it's not on your dashboard, aged out, you would have to call to get the notes, or pay for them like anyone else.

If you didn't record the notes when it was received, are you going to go through the trouble each time to call CGC?  Are you going to pay for the "free" notes?

If it's an expensive book you are contemplating buying, ask the seller for the notes.  If they don't have them, you can buy them.  Better to be informed than waste a lot of money on a bad purchase.

Many times the notes are available, but not of much help, not very specific, weak.  Like "light stress lines to cover" or "light bends to cover".  Front cover? Back cover? Top, bottom, where???  To include them doesn't help much.

Oh, and that's presuming there ARE notes.  I have rarely seen notes on anything over 9.2, and even lower.  But sometimes there are notes on a 9.6.  It's a mixed bag.

CGC has a Disclaimer on their notes that reads, in part: The customer may view, copy, print out, and use the content herein solely for your personal use, provided that the content is used for informational and noncommercial purposes only. The use of any such content for commercial purposes is expressly forbidden.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes-disclaimer.aspx

I would interpret it to mean you can provide the notes as an informational aid, but you couldn't charge for the notes, as in a reduced fee to undercut the CGC fee.  For example, "send me 2 bucks and I'll send you the notes, $3 less than the CGC fee".  (Or $8 less, or $13 less, depending on the fee level).

Are there notes on every book? I just had a few books graded but only 2 of the 5 had notes. I ask because I was surprised at the grade of one of the books (obviously lower than expected so wanted to know where the downgrade came from but it has no notes).

8 minutes ago, Susanville said:

Are there notes on every book? I just had a few books graded but only 2 of the 5 had notes. I ask because I was surprised at the grade of one of the books (obviously lower than expected so wanted to know where the downgrade came from but it has no notes).

If a book has notes, you get them on your dashboard, as you did for 2 of them.  If there are no notes attached, there were none made.  You're in the dark, unfortunately. 

When you look up the reg# online, it will specify if notes can be obtained or don't exist.