• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing embossed covers?

10 posts in this topic

I was sending this book out for a press and grading and I realized it has an embossed cover. Is it still a good candidate for a press? I know that pressing isn't going to smash it flat or anything, but I wonder if it might soften the embossing or anything like that. Thanks!

SpidermanBatman_front.thumb.jpg.c482599ba9dd97f63de2a19fffab2f29.jpgSpidermanBatman_embossed.thumb.jpg.d39baa520f7935cd98ea2d8ca7096ee1.jpgSpidermanBatman_top.thumb.jpg.6a06eba13fbe95098ed919aafc9ed4c4.jpg

I have a guy who's an independent company to have books pressed and cleaned.  He always tells me that he won't press an embossed book...just in case.  Also, I believe that is a square-bound book...which means it's glued.  DO NOT PRESS.  If you think it's a 9.8, then it's worth the investment to grade it. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, Galen130 said:

I have a guy who's an independent company to have books pressed and cleaned.  He always tells me that he won't press an embossed book...just in case.  Also, I believe that is a square-bound book...which means it's glued.  DO NOT PRESS.  If you think it's a 9.8, then it's worth the investment to grade it. (thumbsu

Thanks! I was leaning against pressing it, so I really appreciate the confirmation. Will definitely grade it though, since I think it has 9.8 potential, And I do like that cover!

1 minute ago, Aces88 said:

Thanks! I was leaning against pressing it, so I really appreciate the confirmation. Will definitely grade it though, since I think it has 9.8 potential, And I do like that cover!

My pleasure.  I had the same book, had it graded, and it came out as a 9.8.  I sold it a couple years go.  Good luck!!! :)

6 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

So brave and the bold 200 should be ok? That one is glued.

There are always varying opinions, but the guy I use for pressing my books won't press glued spines.  He's very cautious because the heat may soften the glue and cause issues.  It's up to you. (thumbsu