• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists' influences on artists

6 posts in this topic

Feel free to share the cool stories we know/hear.

Below, a Goya name drop by the master.  Mish-mashing Goya and Foster sounds like Frazetta art.

"SECONDS: Who were some of your influences earlier on?

FRAZETTA: Everyone. All the masters that ever lived, many illustrators, and certainly guys who did Comics. Foster would be my main influence. From the sublime to the ridiculous I go from Foster to Segar, who did design. Even though [Segar] did Popeye, I thought he was a brilliant artist. His ability to simplify and tell a story, that’s a great artist. Then you go to the masters who rendered and painted beautifully but told no story at all. It was contrived, it was obvious that they just posed models and weren’t very excited about it, in spite of the skillful approach. Sure it’s great but so what? It leaves me if I have to sit there and wonder about the application of paint. It means nothing. I’d rather look at Harvey Kurtzman. On the other hand, certain classical artists like Goya had magic and power. That’s my own personal judgment. Unfortunately, there’s a million people in this world that have been brainwashed and have to be told what’s good and what isn’t.

From an interview conducted by Steven Cerio with Frank Frazetta (2010)"

Edited by exitmusicblue

26 minutes ago, glendgold said:

If anyone is willing to part with one of their Foster Popeyes, DM me.

http://www.stevencerio.com/cerio-interviews-for-seconds-magazine/interview-with-frank-frazetta-seconds-29-1994-by-steven-cerio/

Looks like the interview transcript had some typos... gonna make some corrections.  }:-)