• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Examples of Framing DPS? Share please :)

22 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, malvin said:

Err... isn't it just a big frame?

This example probably isn't what you are thinking, since it is a double size cover on a single piece of board, but here is my Grell Longbow Hunters TPB Cover Framed

Link to CAF

Malin

For me I'm thinking 3 options:

1. Framed and matted seamless together.
  2. Framed with two open matted openings with small space splitting them.
  3. Two separate frames next to each other, no matting just tight 11x17 frames. 

There is a thread that shows framed art in general, why don’t you look through there for inspiration.

A personal experience, wall space (usually) is limited and every item I had that was either a framed DPS or a cover plus the published book next to it, I replaced because for me the frame was too big and I did not like that it took so much space. I mean do the math, it probably has around 27 inch width and 22 inch height. That is big. It’s cool....but takes up a lot of real estate.

2 hours ago, wurstisart said:

There is a thread that shows framed art in general, why don’t you look through there for inspiration.

A personal experience, wall space (usually) is limited and every item I had that was either a framed DPS or a cover plus the published book next to it, I replaced because for me the frame was too big and I did not like that it took so much space. I mean do the math, it probably has around 27 inch width and 22 inch height. That is big. It’s cool....but takes up a lot of real estate.

I frame art and then lean it against the wall 5 deep to avoid sun exposure ;)

I bought a double panel 36x39 oil that is so big I don't know if I have a wall I trust enough to support the weight of it framed. Still not framed...

7 hours ago, vodou said:

While I have a different exterior aesthetic (blending all non-OA elements into the wall/background so as to be nearly invisible), floating traditional comic art -imo- is the only way to do it.

How is the floating done?

Looks pretty cool.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, wurstisart said:

How is the floating done?

Looks pretty cool.

Use archival hinges to mount the piece to a foamcore board. The foamcore is mounted and centered on the background matte. My pieces are only connected in the top two corners. It actually swings if you tilt the frame forward. Possibly a little awkward when transporting if not done carefully, but it minimizes contact and creates a really cool effect.

One and a half boards here. When I first try to frame it, it didn't stay flat where the two boards meet. The boards are joined together with a 1-inch tape, so I used a double-sided tape on top of the 1-inch tape to attach it to the back board. It looks better now, see pictures. Tapes and boards are acid free. Here's a link to the double sided tape. J.

FB.thumb.jpeg.a37978703b687906fb0468df94f1b80a.jpeg

IMG_2162.JPG

Edited by Shepherd

Far be it from me to tell someone else what to do with their art, but I would never use that “acid free” tape without some kind of reassurance it is reversible.

Having a tape to glue your art down to a backer board without being acidic is one thing. Having it be fully reversible and removable would be crucial to me, though. Which is why I don’t know any museum folks or archival framers that’d use the stuff.

I mean gluing it down without acid... cool if that’s your thing. I’d be concerned about long term effect/ineffect personally. And what happens if you wanna sell it un-framed some day.

Until someone has an archival AND totally reversible method that works better than a Japanese hinge, I’m sticking with the old tried and tested method that’s been around for centuries.

-e.

I do agree, you never know, but also I'm not too worry about saving this art for the next owner.

I use 'acid free' materials, 'UV protection' glass/acrylic, and hang the art away from direct sunlight, but that's about it. I chose to enjoy the art every time I pass by, than keeping it in a binder.

At the end of the day, hopefully, we do what makes us happy. J.

On 8/13/2020 at 1:48 PM, ESeffinga said:

glue your art down to a backer board without being acidic is one thing. Having it be fully reversible and removable would be crucial to me, though. 

Do you have an opinion about using Best-Test Acid-Free Paper Cement ??

https://www.dickblick.com/products/best-test-acid-free-paper-cement/