• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect Auction underway! Some awesome stuff in there
1 1

47 posts in this topic

From their website...

John Byrne pages from X-Men #125137, and #138 all signed by Byrne and Stan Lee; two first appearances, an Avengers #10 page by Don Heck presenting Immortus, and a Daredevil #4 page by Orlando and Colletta, featuring the Purple Man; Also many other artists are featured in this auction including Jack KirbySteve BissetteJoe QuesadaMichael ZulliHerb TrimpeGeorge Perez, and more!

Reserves on lots of desirable pieces is usually a red flag for me.

Such reserves could indicate that the consignors don't have a lot of confidence in the auction site.

Or, more cynically, the auction site got some friendlies to consign some pieces with pie-in-the-sky reserves to dress up the auction to make it look more impressive than it really is.

Edited by tth2

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Reserves on lots of desirable pieces is usually a red flag for me.

Such reserves could indicate that the consignors don't have a lot of confidence in the auction site.

Or, more cynically, the auction site got some friendlies to consign some pieces with pie-in-the-sky reserves to dress up the auction to make it look more impressive than it really is.

On the other hand, there can also be shills out there who will drive a price up to what a consignor would ordinarily reserve it as, thereby stimulating more bids by making people think they have a chance. 

Bottom line: second guessing is risky, at best.

19 hours ago, Grant Turner said:

From their website...

John Byrne pages from X-Men #125137, and #138 all signed by Byrne and Stan Lee; two first appearances, an Avengers #10 page by Don Heck presenting Immortus, and a Daredevil #4 page by Orlando and Colletta, featuring the Purple Man; Also many other artists are featured in this auction including Jack KirbySteve BissetteJoe QuesadaMichael ZulliHerb TrimpeGeorge Perez, and more!

Thanks for the links. Without them I wouldn't be able to find jack on that site. 

1 hour ago, Matches_Malone said:

How Does Comic Connect near the end of the auction added time works? 

if there is a new high bidder they add 3 minutes and that keeps on going.  Not sure if there is a hard stop mechanism (e.g. like Hakes where they won't add extra time after xx hours and its a hard stop)

Malvin

10 minutes ago, malvin said:

if there is a new high bidder they add 3 minutes and that keeps on going.  Not sure if there is a hard stop mechanism (e.g. like Hakes where they won't add extra time after xx hours and its a hard stop)

Malvin

When it's down to the last two bidders, whichever one of them can keep their hand over an open candle flame longest wins the piece.  I love comicconnect.

G

3 minutes ago, glendgold said:

When it's down to the last two bidders, whichever one of them can keep their hand over an open candle flame longest wins the piece.  I love comicconnect.

G

I kind of like the open ended bidding. It’s more like a real auction. I have been working on building up a callus on my hand.

54 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I kind of like the open ended bidding. It’s more like a real auction. I have been working on building up a callus on my hand.

On the other hand, a hard deadline sometimes lets you sneak through a win.

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

All the open-endedness of live bidding with none of the speed, convenience, or satisfaction. 

37 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

You can still put in your max bid and walk away. 

Sure, it just eliminates the feeling of a true live auction in either instance. 

8 hours ago, malvin said:
9 hours ago, Matches_Malone said:

How Does Comic Connect near the end of the auction added time works? 

If you're bidding a multiple items you really have to keep an eye on what's going on.  Each item will have it's own 3 minute allowance.  There was a time when I was juggling 6 bids at once.

11 hours ago, glendgold said:

When it's down to the last two bidders, whichever one of them can keep their hand over an open candle flame longest wins the piece.

I begged Fish and Vinnie for a Trial By Combat option, but they wussed out.

In Game of Thrones, how fair were the trials by combat? Would ...

55 minutes ago, BuraddoRun said:

I like the Jim Davis Garfield prelims they've got. I'll watch them and see how high they go.

The actual Garfield published strips don't cost very much.  Is there really a market for their prelims?