• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flip-flopping values between two books over the years: Any more examples?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

That's a strange post title, you say. Well, what I was thinking about was how some 2nd appearances/issues used to be more valuable than the first. (And I'm not talking about Hulk 180/181 or X-Men 266, so don't mention those.)

In the 80s and 90s, G.I. Joe #2 was always significantly more valuable than #1. Now, while #2 is still a decent book, #1 has pulled way ahead. Similarly, X-Men #94 was valued higher than GSXM #1 in Overstreet for years, probably until the late 90s. Now, it's probably 75% of the value.

Can you think of any others? 

3 hours ago, Morganmi said:

What about FF 49 and 50. I sorta remember them  switching back and forth in most valuable a long time ago.

If you think about it, FF 49 is kind of the most important out of 48, 49, and 50. All the important stuff happens in 49, but we value 48 because of the 1st Silver Surfer sppearance. Obviously the Galactus cameo at the end isn't why it sells for the highest.

On 8/7/2020 at 4:56 PM, RCheli said:

In the 80s and 90s, G.I. Joe #2 was always significantly more valuable than #1. Now, while #2 is still a decent book, #1 has pulled way ahead. Similarly, X-Men #94 was valued higher than GSXM #1 in Overstreet for years, probably until the late 90s. Now, it's probably 75% of the value.

Can you think of any others? 

It’s funny to think that for the longest time Joe 26 was worth way more than 21. Last year I found a nice 26 in a dollar box.

X-men 94 worth 75% of gsxm? I was thinking it’s closer to 25% (shrug) Has it gained ground?

11 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I think that was true for X-Men 108 as compared to 107and 109 too.  Now, 108 is actually the minimum of that sequence.  

This one too.

As a collector in the 1990s, 108 (first Byrne) was *the* key book of the early 100s. Nobody cared about the Starjammers and every time I looked at the cover of 107 I wished it were 108 (the far more key and expensive issue).

But now it seems the hobby's literally "first appearance or bust" - artist books or key storylines don't matter nearly as much.

11 hours ago, BrooksR said:

It’s funny to think that for the longest time Joe 26 was worth way more than 21. Last year I found a nice 26 in a dollar box.

X-men 94 worth 75% of gsxm? I was thinking it’s closer to 25% (shrug) Has it gained ground?

It's just going up slowly... may jump if something ever happened to Claremont....

59 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

It's just going up slowly... may jump if something ever happened to Claremont....

Yeah and for a lot of people the GSX1 is way out of range. Heck a copy that looked like it took a mud bath and then got taped back together sold for almost $500 recently.

2 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah and for a lot of people the GSX1 is way out of range. Heck a copy that looked like it took a mud bath and then got taped back together sold for almost $500 recently.

wow, really?  I don't really see many X94s in the wild .  They may not have jumped as high as GSX-1 but they are still in a lot of people's collections.