• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Shock Suspenstories #7

11 posts in this topic

Are the staples rusty? 

They look fine on the front cover,  but those stains on the back look like rust migration.  Maybe it's just an indent? 

Also are the stains on the left water damage? Or something else? 

If we assume no rust, I think it's a 7.5 / 8.0 

I am learning CGC is hard on water stains. If those are water stains that could drag it down into the 6.5 range perhaps? (Others know better than me). 

Really beautiful copy regardless!  Great front cover and all the damage is really where you want it. 

20 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Are the staples rusty? 

They look fine on the front cover,  but those stains on the back look like rust migration.  Maybe it's just an indent? 

Also are the stains on the left water damage? Or something else? 

If we assume no rust, I think it's a 7.5 / 8.0 

I am learning CGC is hard on water stains. If those are water stains that could drag it down into the 6.5 range perhaps? (Others know better than me). 

Really beautiful copy regardless!  Great front cover and all the damage is really where you want it. 

No rust on staples, those are indentations from the comics being stored stacked and unbagged for years.  Upon closer inspection the stains look like white paint or white out.  Here are some more pics

20200807_192041.jpg

20200807_192052.jpg

20200807_192613.jpg

20200807_192533.jpg

Edited by mstrange

17 minutes ago, joeypost said:

They are in fact clean spots on the book where tanning has been removed without leaving a tide line by water or moisture issues. 

What effect will this have on the grade?  Is this a natural occurrence or a restoration attempt?  I bought this book as unrestored.

2 hours ago, mstrange said:

What effect will this have on the grade?  Is this a natural occurrence or a restoration attempt?  I bought this book as unrestored.

It is not restoration or conservation unless an attempt was made to wash the whole book in water or solvent. In this case, based purely on many books I have seen submitted with this type of defect, it will be considered a defect and graded accordingly. 

You may want to inspect the inside front cover carefully.  The comic could grade higher if there are no issues comparable to ones seen on the (outer) back cover.  It's a nice-looking book, hard-to-find ECs with that kind of crisp appearance.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:48 AM, joeypost said:

They are in fact clean spots on the book where tanning has been removed without leaving a tide line by water or moisture issues. 

That’s cool to know. What method would you guess was used. My first thought was that it looked like eraser marks.  Very interesting. MS are you able to ask the OO? Did you get other books from the individual?