• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob questions
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Greetings all.  Am new to the CGC world and have a few questions about the slabbing process.  

1) How accurate is the length of time for pressing and grading the CGC website advertises?

2) Does CGC send email updates for each phase of the process (eg when they send to pressing, when they grade, when they send back to you)?

3) When do you learn about the grades of your submitted comics (do they notify you in an email or is it a big reveal when they arrive back to you in the mail)?

4) Are price variants (UK/Canada) more desirable that regular versions?

Thanks in advance for helping the Noob.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:50 PM, Ellerbee said:

Greetings all.  Am new to the CGC world and have a few questions about the slabbing process.  

1) How accurate is the length of time for pressing and grading the CGC website advertises?

I haven't really looked recently.  In the past they were not very accurate.  You can get a much better feel for it here:

2) Does CGC send email updates for each phase of the process (eg when they send to pressing, when they grade, when they send back to you)?

Unless it changed since I last sent in an order years ago they don't send any updates.

3) When do you learn about the grades of your submitted comics (do they notify you in an email or is it a big reveal when they arrive back to you in the mail)?

If you submitted them yourself you should be able to check out the grades as soon as they send them out.  If you submitted them through a store then you would have to ask them to check for you.

4) Are price variants (UK/Canada) more desirable that regular versions?

Everyone collects differently, but generally UK printings and Canadian printings are rarer, but less widely collected.  Overall their prices tend to be slightly lower than the American printings.

I disagree with 4) answer from the previous post, but its a matter of perspective.

For KEYS, which make up like 2% of comics, UK versions are generally worth a bit less.  But for the average mid-grade common comic that make up 98% of comics, someone might want the UK version for just a bit of novelty, so maybe a $1 (or less) common might be worth $2-$5 to someone for the UK version.

1 hour ago, revat said:

I disagree with 4) answer from the previous post, but its a matter of perspective.

The market backs it up. Canadian variants are worth quite a bit more when CGC identifies them:
image.thumb.png.9f2eed7827320ffe29691aa4fe04dcee.png

vs

image.thumb.png.e6ee5baddaf045fdc28223abfb95eb54.png

By the way, that Canadian variant ain't rare at all... in Canada.

Edited by William-James88

As for the turnaround times, they have been really quick lately. Here are my last six submissions. Each takes about two weeks from the time I ship it in Massachusetts to the Sarasota "received" date that CGC indicates, and nearly two more weeks to get back to me from Sarasota.  The figures below indicate the CGC received date and shipping date.

Service:  Press and walk-through grading. Received 7/7, shipped back to me 7/21.

Service: Press and express grading.  Received 7/17, shipped back to me 8/11.

Service:  Press and standard grading.  Received 7/17, shipped back to me 8/18.

Service:  Standard grading.  Received 7/17.  Shipped back to me 7/29

Service: Economy grading.  Received 7/17.  Shipped back to me 8/5.

Service:  Pressing and Modern grading.  Received 7/17.  As of 8/19, still in "received" status.

Edited by SOTIcollector

If it is a key with a Canadian price, it can fetch more. Seems like this is an area of collecting that has gotten more interest in the last 5-7 years.

I think part of the draw is that it is still priced in “dollars” and with Canada being close, they can be found easier, as many areas border the US. Granted, I am not one who cares enough to spend more on a Canadian price copy (and I’m even Canadian!) but seems like those people are out there.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:44 PM, comicginger1789 said:

If it is a key with a Canadian price, it can fetch more. Seems like this is an area of collecting that has gotten more interest in the last 5-7 years.

I think part of the draw is that it is still priced in “dollars” and with Canada being close, they can be found easier, as many areas border the US. Granted, I am not one who cares enough to spend more on a Canadian price copy (and I’m even Canadian!) but seems like those people are out there.

Yeah, the draw is that it's basically a "rarer" variant, the same as a newstand copy compared to a direct market copy.