• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any specific comics you've been teased for owning?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

In high school I got all kinds cr*p of for having any comics at all period many, many times. In the late 80s it sure wasn't cool to be into comics or anything like that. Just like how I got cr*p for still having my star wars toys and Masters of the Universe toys in middle school. Was a different time back then when if you were into comics or star wars or anything like that past age 12 you got teased mercilessly. One specific time that stands out was when I brought a stack of 60s comics I had just gotten at a flea market to read in study hall and there just happened to be some Lois Lane comics in there and someone saw them and man that did not go over well lol

Edited by catman76
fixed the horrible swear word

1 hour ago, oldrover said:

I was a 60's Marvel guy mostly, so nothing stands out... EXCEPT.

When I first got married, I had some comics left at my dad's house that we went to pick up. My wife happened to notice the title of this one... looked at me... smiled... and said, "Seriously?"

image.jpeg.2edcf0a4ba631a74965f41347d48e340.jpeg

soo the title's out but she's cool with gorko the man frog right? lol

Here’s a sweeping statement that would be hard to beat.

A dealer I used to buy from at comic marts in the U.K. during the late 70s to early 80s, and long after a fairly minor disagreement, made the all-inclusive and extreme claim that ‘only mental defectives like you collect comic books’.

A very intelligent statement against all of us from someone who himself collected comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Here’s a sweeping statement that would be hard to beat.

A dealer I used to buy from at comic marts in the U.K. during the late 70s to early 80s, after a fairly minor disagreement, made the all-inclusive and extreme claim that ‘only mental defectives like you collect comic books’.

A very intelligent statement against all of us from someone who himself collected comics.

Well, everybody in the world is a mental defective. We all just manifest those defects in vastly different ways. :)

The one not to show at school in the 70s was Howard the Duck, as you’d have an obvious, mocking response of ‘You mean Donald the Duck, you big * kid !’

I’d feel sorry for them, unable to appreciate Steve Gerber’s fantastic, surrealistic writing, Brunner and Colan’s art, and, of course, Carl Barks’ genius work on his Disney comics.

It was quickly evident that my comic book obsession needed to be kept hidden, one member of a misunderstood underground cult.

The Giant-Size Man-Thing issues were not distributed to the U.K., and so I avoided making the mistake of taking those to school.  In any case, they would’ve been incapable of grasping the brilliance of the Hellcow story.

Edited by Ken Aldred

In the early 70s, when I was 13, I was flush with paper route money, and for a few months decided I was going to collect every DC and Marvel comic printed, except romance. That included reprints, westerns, and other esoteric stuff I normally wouldn't have been interested in. One of the books I reluctantly purchased ( especially as it was relatively expensive), but did so anyway, was the 1st  Treasury sized Rudolph Collectors Edition.

When my main collecting buddy found out, he teased me mercilessly. Twenty years later he would go to local shows with about $20 in his pocket and mostly buy up 50s and 60s romance books for a 25-50 cents a book because he loved their kitsch value.

19 hours ago, bc said:

As a 5th grader, got a lot of flack for sneaking this into my Catholic Elementary school to show to a buddy.

Cover for Son of Satan (Marvel, 1975 series) #8

Book confiscated - Check!

Berated by Nuns - Check!

Hauled to Principal's office in front of my classmates - Check!

Phone call from Principal to parents - Check!

Grounded by parents - Check!

Labelled by classmates as a freak - Check!

This was my second charge for "offensive material in school" - I got busted for reading Crazy #1 (and laughing) during class the year before.

Thankfully, we moved later that year.

-bc

Got my nuckles slapped with a ruler by a teacher for reading a MAD magazine in class. Then she tore it up and threw it in the trash. Things got worse when I got home. She called my mom and I got my butt spanked again. My parents would let me read anything but that. They thought it was “subversive”. We hid all our MADs in a wooden box in our tree house. 

On 8/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, bc said:

Cover for Son of Satan (Marvel, 1975 series) #8

Yeah... I remember when that came out. I was not a super-religious kid... but even so... yikes. if I had to buy either this or the Care Bears back then, I'd have taken the latter... and the inevitable abuse. :)

yeah romance comics are a big deal now .. but no self respecting 6th grade boy would have been caught dead even looking at one of those much less reading one of them.. they were for girls only

can't remember how i got it but i still have a Night Nurse comic that was such drek back in the day that i almost threw it away !! and now WOW that four issue run is HOT !