• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any specific comics you've been teased for owning?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

Aside from the usual, 'you still read comic books'?  from my early teens, Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew was even more berate-able from even those who did read comics. 

Also, bought a GI JOE in the early 1980's (I believe it was Airborne), at the Mall toy store.  I tried hard to make sure nobody knew I bought one. 

Havent specifically been teased but I was reading a Lois lane comic at a coffeeshop and a certain individual took this as a signal I was a simple target for mocking (not about the comic) and assault-he ended up in the dirt.

36 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

can't remember how i got it but i still have a Night Nurse comic that was such drek back in the day that i almost threw it away !! and now WOW that four issue run is HOT

The Win Mortimer artwork is actually quite nice, not that that would’ve worked as an argument back then.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:57 PM, bc said:

Book confiscated - Check!

Berated by Nuns - Check!

Hauled to Principal's office in front of my classmates - Check!

Phone call from Principal to parents - Check!

Grounded by parents - Check!

Labelled by classmates as a freak - Check!

This was my second charge for "offensive material in school" - I got busted for reading Crazy #1 (and laughing) during class the year before.

Thankfully, we moved later that year.

-bc

The run any good? You have peaked my interest in it! I'm thinking of picking up the digital comic on Amazon.

Edited by Xenosmilus

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

yikes. if I had to buy either this or the Care Bears back then, I'd have taken the latter... and the inevitable abuse. :)

Dude,  it's the first appearance of Ninja Bread Man, classic :roflmao:.  You guy's do realize I posted that as a joke right?  LOL

37 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

The run any good? You have peaked my interest in it! I'm thinking of picking up the digital comic on Amazon.

The issue shown is excellent; the best Bronze Age story for the character.  The other issues in the run, nowhere near as good.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The issue shown is excellent.  The other issues in the run nowhere near as good.

Would you say pass on this then?

https://www.amazon.com/Son-Satan-Classic-1975-1977-ebook/dp/B01M0OB37D/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=53EBVD536353T517Q4BX

Collects Ghost Rider (1973) #1-2, Marvel Spotlight (1971) #12-24, Marvel Team-Up (1972) #32, Son of Satan #1-8, Marvel Two-In-One (1974) #14.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Just now, Xenosmilus said:

Would you say pass on this then?

https://www.amazon.com/Son-Satan-Classic-1975-1977-ebook/dp/B01M0OB37D/ref=pd_ybh_a_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=53EBVD536353T517Q4BX

Collects Ghost Rider (1973) #1-2, Marvel Spotlight (1971) #12-24, Marvel Team-Up (1972) #32, Son of Satan #1-8, Marvel Two-In-One (1974) #14.

It’s very patchy.  Even the later Gerber issues in Marvel Spotlight aren’t anywhere near the level he reached on Howard the Duck, Defenders or Man-Thing.

I remember meeting someone I knew at school about 15 years after, and getting a lecture about the extremely barbaric nature of the Mongol expansion into Europe, and, smirking away at me, how learning real history like this was so much better than those Conan comics I liked so very much at school.  It all sounded a bit mocking and intellectually superior.

Thankfully, I didn’t mention the pile of comics I had in my backpack. No Conans, though, being a few years before Dark Horse started their titles.

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I remember meeting someone I knew at school about 15 years after, and getting a lecture about the extremely barbaric nature of the Mongol expansion into Europe, and, smirking away at me, how learning real history like this was so much better than those Conan comics I liked so very much at school.  It all sounded a bit mocking and intellectually superior.

Thankfully, I didn’t mention the pile of comics I had in my backpack. No Conans, though, being a few years before Dark Horse started their titles.

I always reply to people like that with "Thanks for telling me how much smarter than me you are thats very smart of you"
Either that or listening to their spiel then saying "You need a tic tac"

I don't get teased because my friends aren't like that. And because I don't talk much about what I own. 

If I were to be teased, it might before books like Beagle Boys and Atom Ant. 

1 hour ago, kav said:

I always reply to people like that with "Thanks for telling me how much smarter than me you are thats very smart of you"
Either that or listening to their spiel then saying "You need a tic tac"

Haha.. I do like the approach.  I still find myself using more sarcasm usually in a nonchalant manner that has them confused as to whether I was actually complimenting  or insulting them. Example.  As soon as I can tell they are headed that way in conversation  I interrupt with something along the lines of " I really like your shoes!" Followed up by "Think I saw the same pair at the goodwill." Or " Nice Hair!" " Where can I get implants or toupee like that?" " Amazing suit/dress! "  " reminds me of my grandmother's drapes." 

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Haha.. I do like the approach.  I still find myself using more sarcasm usually in a nonchalant manner that has them confused as to whether I was actually complimenting  or insulting them. Example.  As soon as I can tell they are headed that way in conversation  I interrupt with something along the lines of " I really like your shoes!" Followed up by "Think I saw the same pair at the goodwill." Or " Nice Hair!" " Where can I get implants or toupee like that?" " Amazing suit/dress! "  " reminds me of my grandmother's drapes." 

Brillliant!  ps the tic tac line is a nuclear bomb when someone is enraged and yelling at you.  you just calmly wait for em to finish then shake your head in disgust and say you need a tic tac.  It makes their head implode.

On 8/8/2020 at 3:11 PM, Buzzetta said:

All of them.

That's my answer.  From relatives and schoolmates to casual acquaintances, everyone would just sneer or note that they were "just for little kids."  Oddly, my parents never made fun of them as they saw another way to get me to read (though they would put the brakes on how many they/I would buy and when boxes started to accumulate they raised an eyebrow).  Later on, these classmates couldn't string together two sentences while I was reading at college level in Junior High and taking Advance Placement classes in High School, owed - I always claimed to anyone who would listen - to years and years of reading Stan's verbose prose.  His stories might have been too fantastic or bereft of logic at times but he never spoke down to the readers and as a kid I found myself running to the dictionary to find out what "distaff" or "brobdingnagian" meant.  Still later as an adult, some folks would surreptitiously approach me because they had heard I knew about comics and their value and BTW "what would be the best titles to buy for investment?"

Silly rabbits.  You buy them because you like to read them.

Boy how times have changed.  Not only do I regularly bring my sons to local comic-cons, but we always run into my 8th-grader's history teacher at them, and he's probably the best teacher he has.  Likewise, my high school-aged sons have friends who think it's "cool" that I have a decent number of SA Marvels.

But yeah, back in the 1980-81 timeframe, the fact that I was a ROM Spaceknight fan was a closely-held secret.

46 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

That's my answer.  From relatives and schoolmates to casual acquaintances, everyone would just sneer or note that they were "just for little kids."  Oddly, my parents never made fun of them as they saw another way to get me to read (though they would put the brakes on how many they/I would buy and when boxes started to accumulate they raised an eyebrow).  Later on, these classmates couldn't string together two sentences while I was reading at college level in Junior High and taking Advance Placement classes in High School, owed - I always claimed to anyone who would listen - to years and years of reading Stan's verbose prose.  His stories might have been too fantastic or bereft of logic at times but he never spoke down to the readers and as a kid I found myself running to the dictionary to find out what "distaff" or "brobdingnagian" meant.  Still later as an adult, some folks would surreptitiously approach me because they had heard I knew about comics and their value and BTW "what would be the best titles to buy for investment?"

Silly rabbits.  You buy them because you like to read them.

I’ve been complimented on how articulate I sound, but I agree that it might be a case of ‘ if only you knew how important comic books were in developing that’. 

Although I was actually very good at English Literature at school, the straightforward analysis of it, I always struggled to convert text directly into images in my head, primarily because of Aspergers.

As you said, you really can improve your vocabulary by reading comics, particularly the very florid prose I was exposed to back in the 70s, as delivered by Claremont, McGregor and Englehart, to name just three, and, simultaneously, have some brilliant and much more spatially, visually capable comic artists help me out with the images themselves.

I kept quiet about the comics at that time though, as there was too much condescension about.

Edited by Ken Aldred