• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.8 comic swap
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am new here and fairly new (again) to comic collecting. I recently purchased a CGC 9.8 Graded Simpson’s #1 comic and it appears to have been tampered with and the book inside the slab is in no way a 9.8 grade. I believe the slab has been cracked and the actual 9.8 book has been removed and replaced with an inferior copy and super glued back together. The seller refuses to refund me my money. How can I get verification if this book has been swapped? I have included a few magnified pictures of the case. Also, here is a link to my video I made which shows the damage that the book has.  

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated as I did pay a good chunk of money for this book. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

phil

D4A9D2AE-E985-4432-8D71-F57844600C26.jpeg

4A7938E4-BDE7-4E47-9957-C9BBCDE16172.jpeg

60E7D5DE-6614-4746-9BDB-2041BAB53A66.jpeg

252CE53E-E165-4964-BEC7-A4CBA1DB1FB6.jpeg

Does not appear to me to be tampered with.  There are obvious signs that a case has been opened that this does not exhibit. 

Also does not appear to be a 9.8, but just might be an over-graded copy.  Maybe they missed the cover bend.  It was graded 6 years ago, looking it up in the registry.

The GPA on that is around $100.  Not likely someone swapped one out at that price level, no return on your time invested.  Don't forget, too, that it is sealed in the inner capsule, so they would have had to have an encapsulated comic to swap out.  Just not a realistic theory.

If you don't like it as a 9.8, maybe the seller has some type of return policy you can utilize.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're getting so close up that I can see the ink dots and individual paper fibers. :roflmao:

At seemingly normal distance, it appears to be in the 9.4+ grade range.

I highly doubt that this has been tampered with.

That's because he is using one of these

Electron microscope- definition, principle, types, uses, images

I also doubt that this book has been swapped.

-bc

On 8/8/2020 at 5:45 PM, Phil Rivera said:

Hello All,

I am new here and fairly new (again) to comic collecting. I recently purchased a CGC 9.8 Graded Simpson’s #1 comic and it appears to have been tampered with and the book inside the slab is in no way a 9.8 grade. I believe the slab has been cracked and the actual 9.8 book has been removed and replaced with an inferior copy and super glued back together. The seller refuses to refund me my money. How can I get verification if this book has been swapped? I have included a few magnified pictures of the case. Also, here is a link to my video I made which shows the damage that the book has.  

Please, any help will be greatly appreciated as I did pay a good chunk of money for this book. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

phil

The chances that it has been tampered with are probably pretty low.  You might try to stick with the newer slabs (the ones that have the paper quality below the grade).

I appreciate all of your reply’s! They have been very helpful. This is one of the older slabbed comics I have so maybe grading was a bit lenient back then and there are manufacturer defects??? And no I wasn’t using a stereo microscope 🤣

I agree with others this book was not switched out. It was over graded by CGC.
The bend is likely a defect that had been pressed out and reverted post-encapsulation. It happens, and it stinks. 
the corners and edges are typical and look like 9.8. The color rub near the staple bugs me most.

CGC and their sole legitimate competitor will sometimes grade a little tight or loose. I always recommend looking at the book in hand or through multiple high resolution photos, even if it’s in a case stating a certain grade.

My 1st slabbed book I bought is a CGC 9.6 Spectacular Spider-Man 1. It looks fantastic, better than your Simpsons 1. Why didn’t it get a 9.8? I dunno. 3.5 yrs later I still think it’s a 9.8 and will likely resubmit someday.

PS: I’m getting a Simpsons 1 ($1.95 newsstand edition) and 245 newsstand (last issue) graded at CGC right now, hoping to get 9.6 and 9.8. :wishluck: