• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay... tell the truth... anybody ever cut out a Marvel value stamp?

12 posts in this topic

No. 

But I do have my OO book with the MMMS coupon clipped, and one with the coupon for the original 6 foot Spidey poster clipped, one with the old Marvel stationary coupon clipped, and lastly one with the b&w photo of Stan clipped (if that one required a coupon, I don't recall).

Edited by Unca Ben

33 minutes ago, Unca Ben said:

No. 

But I do have my OO book with the MMMS coupon clipped, and one with the coupon for the original 6 foot Spidey poster clipped, one with the old Marvel stationary coupon clipped, and lastly one with the b&w photo of Stan clipped (if that one required a coupon, I don't recall).

I don't recall ever cutting out a MVS.  It could've been different if I'd had the MVS book to mount them in.  I'm basing that on collecting and sticking PG Tips tea cards in albums as a kid.  I possibly might've done it under those circumstances, during the period before I got hyper-OCD about my comics.

Edited by Ken Aldred

so many threads on this in these forums---

you might find these interesting... if you were using the forum search-- better results using google and adding CGC forums to whatever query

And to answer the question--- yes-- I actively cut/tore/ripped out stampsfrom comics like the 10 year old mad man I was ....

20150617_150837.thumb.jpg.c9efc7fd3e2ac2c8b69e0643decbe797.jpg

20150617_150844.thumb.jpg.d3252395b78ec91e2705f20cb30bfe02.jpg

eve20150617_151444.thumb.jpg.2a87dad1c0f60cd8be5dcf15360a45a0.jpg

even series B

77E982F6-3E95-490C-A845-0172455C86A3.thumb.jpeg.83122b8112d6b336e12da6acc2ef7556.jpeg.d4f8d1c350413a642aecde241de08b1a.jpeg

Frankly-- I feel it was incredibly silly for Marvel to basically ask fans to cut up their own copies - for basically nothing. Ultimately a kids fault but so sad that they pushed this program EXACTLY when I was starting collecting. Same thing goes for Pin Ups -- which dates back to the earliest silver age super hero books. 

and if somehow you have not seen this website before.... http://www.mvstamps.com/

Cut many an MVS in my my day.  When I was selling my first collection in 1977, the first two people who responded to my ad told me i'd ruined the books and offered me pennies on the dollar. I'd spent two days calculating my books were worth $2500 and I felt $2,000 was fair. My first two offers were in the hundred dollar range. Anticipating a quick sale, I had the books on the dining room table and all over the living room. Another dealer came by and offered me $500 and my Mom thought I should take it, but I held out. Finally, a young guy who was a year out of college showed up and wanted most of my books, but only one copy of each. He was more of a reader and wasn't interested in my duplicate copies. We settled for $1300 and I got $150 for the extra copies.