• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st GGA/Bondage Cover?

22 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

I picked this book up recently and, after taking a closer look at the cover, realized that it may represent the earliest GGA/bondage cover.  Is there one that predates August 1935?

Definitely the first. 

The only way it could be something else is if you consider a Cupples book or one of the Dell promotional comics from the 20s.

27 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Definitely the first. 

The only way it could be something else is if you consider a Cupples book or one of the Dell promotional comics from the 20s.

Trashy little orphan annie? 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

They were brilliant in their marketing. 

Well, in that case, can somebody here come up with a better term for these so-called early "pre-hero" GA DC books because many of them seem to have been pretty much dead in the water for the past couple of decades?  :(

Edited by lou_fine

18 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, in that case, can somebody here come up with a better term for these so-called early "pre-hero" GA DC books because many of them seem to have been pretty much dead in the water for the past couple of decades?  :(

Sexy pre-hero

2 minutes ago, szav said:
21 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Sexy pre-hero

Only problem is that you could then be accused of false advertising because the overwhelming majority of them would not get past zero on the sexy register scale. zzz

32 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

Platinum age. I’m also sure if some people took the time to look beyond the spandex heroes, that they’d discover previous heroes like Don Drake and comics like DC’s first sci-fi cover.

0.jpg

Is this your copy here, because as far as I can tell from your scan, that looks like an absolutely gorgeous copy of a really early and HTF magazine size book?  :luhv:  :takeit:

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I often laugh when I hear the terms “bondage” or “spicy” used in reference to comic books. You younger collectors take those terms as part of the hobby.

Back in the mid 1970’s these terms and others such as “esoteric”, “good girl art” and many others were coined by the guys at the American Comic Book Company in LA. David T Alexander, Terry Stroud and Carl Macek coined these terms to market their books.

Many of the comics we covet so much now were books that had very little popularity back then. They coined these terms and used them liberally in their catalogs to sell slow moving books. They have now become well accepted in our hobby today. They were brilliant in their marketing. 

Your comic history lesson for the day...

I cringe every time I see a book labeled bandage when its something as basic as say the lone ranger or spiderman tied up on some railroad tracks.  I'd love to see the label just go away forever.. 

52 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Only problem is that you could then be accused of false advertising because the overwhelming majority of them would not get past zero on the sexy register scale. zzz

I just call them prewar comics.  Sets defining time in the era, indicates they predated and survived the war paper drives, and sounds cool at least to me.

Edited by waaaghboss

39 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

I cringe every time I see a book labeled bandage when its something as basic as say the lone ranger or spiderman tied up on some railroad tracks.  I'd love to see the label just go away forever.. 

Well, definitely not for the Lone Ranger or Spidey since I always thought it was really geared more towards bondage for the female persuasion.  :insane:

Maybe female bondage was not as common as nowadays and seem more kinky back in the day, although Charles Moulton definitely saw no problem with it at all:

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...

Tom Howe - Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (Original Motion Picture  Soundtrack) Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

Makes me wonder if that's where he got the idea for Wonder Woman's golden lasso of truth, from his own personal prurient experiences way back then in the old days.  :devil:

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, definitely not for the Lone Ranger or Spidey since I always thought it was really geared more towards bondage for the female persuasion.  :insane:

Maybe female bondage was not as common as nowadays and seem more kinky back in the day, although Charles Moulton definitely saw no problem with it at all:

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ...

Tom Howe - Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (Original Motion Picture  Soundtrack) Lyrics and Tracklist | Genius

Makes me wonder if that's where he got the idea for Wonder Woman's golden lasso of truth, from his own personal prurient experiences way back then in the old days.  :devil:

I’ve heard Marston described as a feminist pioneer in comics, and if that’s truly the case, then by many accounts, he went about it pretty weirdly, emphasizing on the idea of women being strong leaders through love and emotions more than anything else, which I suppose some would accuse of falling into the “emotional women” stereotype despite how positive of a spin he tries to put on it. As well as how quite a lot of his material arguably delves more into wanting to satisfy personal fetishes than out of messages like liberation, such as how he went about handling bondage, “love slavery,” and things like having women dress up as deer and have Wonder Women chase them into a forest as if to live out a fetish fantasy. That all being said, I can see see Wonder Woman as still being a superheroine that greatly fits within the spirit of other superheroines of the time.

6 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

“Bandage”...:roflmao:

Many years ago when I used to advertise in The Buyer’s Guide (you old geezers remember this), I had a buyer from Canada who collected bondage covers. I was very young and clueless. But he didn’t want what everyone else wanted. He wanted MALE bondage. Seemed a little weird to me but every time I found books with tied up guys he bought them all and he would pay double if they had their shirt off...

Tarzan, Tonto, and Kerry Drake sold like hot cakes to this guy! 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I picked this book up recently and, after taking a closer look at the cover, realized that it may represent the earliest GGA/bondage cover.  Is there one that predates August 1935?

Red dress too.  Seems a bit racy when compared to the other comics that were published in the mid-1930's. 

NewFun5.jpg

NewFun5Panel.jpg

This is a fantastic looking copy!!! Congratulations!!! I've only owned one New Fun and it's the #3 that currently resides in a boardies collection. Congrats again, a spectacular pick up!!! :applause:

On 8/9/2020 at 8:50 AM, Robot Man said:

I often laugh when I hear the terms “bondage” or “spicy” used in reference to comic books. You younger collectors take those terms as part of the hobby.

Back in the mid 1970’s these terms and others such as “esoteric”, “good girl art” and many others were coined by the guys at the American Comic Book Company in LA. David T Alexander, Terry Stroud and Carl Macek coined these terms to market their books.

Many of the comics we covet so much now were books that had very little popularity back then. They coined these terms and used them liberally in their catalogs to sell slow moving books. They have now become well accepted in our hobby today. They were brilliant in their marketing. 

Your comic history lesson for the day...

I didn’t remember who or when it started so thanks for that info. but it was certainly used to make you think because there was bondage it was always of the naughty natured kind but in reality far more of it was super lightweight. Who really cares when Robin was tied up or really most crime books it went without saying someone would get tied up. You had to sift through  to find the more interesting uses of bondage in comics. 

I guess a number of collectors did/have a interest in that fetish so it lives on into infamy...lol