• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will drop a 9.8 book down to a 9.6? 

58 posts in this topic

I have about 30 thousand comics, this is my first time sending to CGC, so I want to make sure I get the higher grades. I would like to know your thoughts on this? thank you!

Edited by J-KComics
Wanted to fix my wording

On 8/8/2020 at 10:06 PM, J-KComics said:

I have about 30 thousand comics, this is my first time sending to CGC, so I want to make sure I get the higher grades. I would like to know your thoughts on this? thank you!

Hopefully the experts will weigh in.... I have a comics graded 9.8, 9.6 and one 9.4.... I'm not sure I could spot the difference...

Just make sure they look absolutely perfect from every angle, adjust the lighting a bit too.

and if submitting in bulk, consider the pre-screen Option

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There are many things that will prevent a comic from getting a 9.8 grade.

The biggest one would be subjectivity.

If you're looking explicitly for 9.8s, then as mentioned, I'd suggest pre-screening.

This.

I would also add posting scans of the books YOU consider 9.8 candidates. Others will be able to chime in and point out why they are or aren't 9.8's. 

If you are not familiar with CGC's standards, it will be very difficult to understand the difference in grading.  A 9.6 and a 9.8 are indistinguishable to an untrained eye. The short answer to your question is "more defects." The more defects a book has, the lower the grade.

A 9.6 isn't a terrible grade but the highe the better. :) Thanks for the replys. so what do you think this comic would/dhould grade at? Has creme to off white pages. Has nothing wrong to the back, well from what I can see.  riddler.jpg.95b84f0d54e2e35b7087f9f082bfd2bc.jpg

Some people have told me CGC has gotten Very Picky when it comes to grading? I sent this to get graded on Friday, It also has been signed so I needed to get it authenticated. 

Edited by J-KComics

4 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

Some people have told me CGC has gotten Very Picky when it comes to grading? I sent this to CBCS to get graded on Friday, It also has been signed so I needed to get it authenticated. 

Just an FYI, this is a CGC board so you might not want to be promoting a direct competitor.

Just curious why you would submit to CBCS, when CGC generally gets better ROI?  As what others above have said, it's best to use the prescreen option if you have the quantity of books - Especially if you don't have experience in submitting. 

Just now, spreads said:

Just an FYI, this is a CGC board so you might not want to be promoting a direct competitor.

Just curious why you would submit to CBCS, when CGC generally gets better ROI?  As what others above have said, it's best to use the prescreen option if you have the quantity of books - Especially if you don't have experience in submitting. 

"...has been signed so I needed to get it authenticated."

Not sure if CBCS Yellow goes for more than CGC Green?

Also, I know this doesn't make your submitting any easier, but the grades are also book specific.  CGC is aware of production defects on certain comics and grade accordingly, so that defect might not be penalized against grade, while other comics with that same grade will have.  There's not a lot you can do about this without the knowledge, other than prescreen!

Just now, J-KComics said:

Lol thanks for that. I sent it to them becuase it is signed but wasn't witnessed by a CGC rep

Yes, you'll receive a green label, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Or if it's on the inside, like my TOS 39 with a Stan Lee sig - it won't affect the color of slab, but CGC might make a notation.  

Just now, J-KComics said:

I have heard that. I do know a little about grading not enough to do anything with though. 

Exactly, so prescreening - you'll need 25 books minimum per tier (eg 25 moderns) and then set a bar that you will only accept to have them graded at, e.g. 9.4  Then maybe you have that same tier with a different level, e.g. 9.8.   Since you have the volume - this works out well for you and you shouldn't have to worry about not making minimums.

What's the background on this collection?  Storage locker find??

I

2 minutes ago, spreads said:

Yes, you'll receive a green label, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Or if it's on the inside, like my TOS 39 with a Stan Lee sig - it won't affect the color of slab, but CGC might make a notation.  

It is on the outside, this pic was before signing.  I heard somewhere that CGC would just say there is writing on the page.. If they didn't verify it. So should I always get my books signed on the inside?

Edited by J-KComics
Wanted to fix my wording

On 8/8/2020 at 10:06 PM, J-KComics said:

The real answer is Anything. A 9.8 must be absolutely perfect and have absolutely 0 flaw from when it was printed and binded to it brought to the comic book store. 

Any stress mark on the spine, any rounded or blunt corner, or any colour break and you don't get a 9.8. 

BUT the good thing is you don't have to worry about that. If you send loads of comics, and pay extra, CGC will look over each one and only grade those that will get a 9.8. 

They let you choose this service when you send over 25 comics or more. So if I were you this is what I would do.

19 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

I

It is on the outside, this pic was before signing.  I heard somewhere that CGC would just say there is writing on the page.. If they didn't verify it. So should I always get my books signed on the inside?

Who signed that book? Everyone who worked on it is dead.