• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What will drop a 9.8 book down to a 9.6? 

58 posts in this topic

Just now, William-James88 said:

Why would you send that book in for grading then? You could sell it for as good a price raw and not have to spend more on it.

Because it is signed, i may keep it for my own collection as well.

15 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

I understand, what do you like better about cgc vs the competitor ? Besides the case ?

CGC remains the standard bearer in grading quality, slab quality, and overall reputation in the community.

The others guys labels are perforated  which looks a  bush league in the case up close.... Just cut the paper guys.

I've already said too much.

ALL HAIL CGC!!!! 

91M6C5gA6KL._SY550_.jpg.4d94bb12165d68cdee6eb166cba9522c.jpg

29 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

CGC remains the standard bearer in grading quality, slab quality, and overall reputation in the community.

The others guys labels are perforated  which looks a  bush league in the case up close.... Just cut the paper guys.

I've already said too much.

ALL HAIL CGC!!!! 

91M6C5gA6KL._SY550_.jpg.4d94bb12165d68cdee6eb166cba9522c.jpg

I agree that the perforation feels just so darn cheap. The books I collect are rare enough that I'll take them slabbed from anyone if I can't find them raw. So I have experience with both slabs and CGC's definitely feels more quality. 

BUT the idea of CGC slabs giving you a premium no longer holds much water. I looked into it and I see just as many examples one way or another, it's not so cut and dry. 

It ends up basically the same since a 3rd party grader of good standing graded the book for you, hence the two 9.2s below:

Screenshot_2020-05-01-22-53-01.png

The one trend I do see is that when it comes to non high grade (so 9.0 and below) books that have a demand, a raw copy will sell for more than a slabbed book.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I agree that the perforation feels just so darn cheap. The books I collect are rare enough that I'll take them slabbed from anyone if I can't find them raw. So I have experience with both slabs and CGC's definitely feels more quality. 

BUT the idea of CGC slabs giving you a premium no longer holds much water. I looked into it and I see just as many examples one way or another, it's not so cut and dry. 

It ends up basically the same since a 3rd party grader of good standing graded the book for you, hence the two 9.2s below:

Screenshot_2020-05-01-22-53-01.png

The one trend I do see is that when it comes to non high grade (so 9.0 and below) books that have a demand, a raw copy will sell for more than a slabbed book.

Being a family man in my thirties I can only afford one big book a year and to maximize on getting the FA's of my favorite characters I've resigned myself to collecting in the 6.0-7.0 range on my personal Grails. 

So far it's a 6.0 WBN 32, 6.0 IM 55, 6.5 Strange Adventures 205, 8.0 Warrior Magazine 1, and an 8.0 Swamp Thing 1 all CGC Graded along , NM- VF+ Range ASM 300 Raw that I will someday send in to CGC to be gravely disappointed when it comes back and 8.0. 

I've put off getting my MS 5 too long it's next on the list. It's till so expensive for me at a 6.0 

I have a few Voldys that I could not pass up the deal on. If given the option same deal same book I'd go CGC every time as a matter of preference but I don't mind the Voldys at the end of the day.

40 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I have a few Voldys that I could not pass up the deal on. If given the option same deal same book I'd go CGC every time as a matter of preference but I don't mind the Voldys at the end of the day.

Well, as you can see from my screenshot, between the two 9.2s, I went for CGC :)

Also, wow, I finally understand what Voldy means. 

5 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Well, as you can see from my screenshot, between the two 9.2s, I went for CGC :)

Also, wow, I finally understand what Voldy means. 

Yes the proverbial "he who shall not be named" 

These boards are very "If you have to ask you'll never know"

Meanwhile some boardies above are not minding their subtleties.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:06 PM, J-KComics said:

I have about 30 thousand comics, this is my first time sending to CGC, so I want to make sure I get the higher grades. I would like to know your thoughts on this? thank you!

Don't forget the effect of a butterfly flapping its wings in Malaysia could have!

11 hours ago, J-KComics said:

A 9.6 isn't a terrible grade but the highe the better. :) Thanks for the replys. so what do you think this comic would/dhould grade at? Has creme to off white pages. Has nothing wrong to the back, well from what I can see.  riddler.jpg.95b84f0d54e2e35b7087f9f082bfd2bc.jpg

Here are the obvious flaws from the low quality picture in black and red circles.

Batman 171 flaws.jpg

Ya I saw those, From doing some research I read every flaw brings it down by (.2) grade ? Is that correct or is that "flawed" information... lol  In the bottom right hand corner  it had been folded non color breaking. The book was already pressed though, so you can faintly see it when you tilt it in the light. The gloss is still like day one. The back has no flaws that I can see. What are your thoughts on a grade for this book. It has creme to off white pages. Thank you.

47 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

Ya I saw those, From doing some research I read every flaw brings it down by (.2) grade ? 

Flawed info.  It's more of an art than a science.  There are some flaws that will set a max on grade.  Other than that it is more an accumulation of flaws that you kind of have to get a feel for.

47 minutes ago, J-KComics said:

What are your thoughts on a grade for this book. It has creme to off white pages. Thank you.

With the caveat that grading from a front and back cover scan is inexact, and grading from a slightly grainy photo of the front cover only is exponentially harder, it looks to be somewhere in the 7.0-7.5 range.

I kind of thought so. I bought the overstreet grading book off of Amazon, very helpful actually. Thank you for the info. I guess I was not that far off. I was thinking an 8.0 but that could be wishful thinking. lol