• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists you didn't like at first, but grew to love because...
1 1

49 posts in this topic

Just now, comix4fun said:

If we're talking speed....then there's a group of serious artists that also merit consideration and comparison.

Has Liefeld ever really been known for his speed? Looking back at the time period, I don't see any bi-weekly books or even any serious overlap in his work. I honestly don't know where this guy came up with that statement. 

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread any further. So on the topic of artists I did not appreciate when I first saw them, but now do, the first person who comes to my mind is Mignola. I didn't care for his heavy contrast, shadow based art at first, but now I love it.

Darwyn Cooke.  I couldn't stand his Catwoman redesign, and thought he was a Bruce Timm clone, who couldn't draw sexy girls lol.  Bruce was a god due to BTAS, and Darwyn's art seemed too cartoony without the Timm style  (pretty sure certain early editors thought the same).   

Gene Colan and Jim Aparo.  I lump them together because their art seemed very dated (with poor draftsmanship) compared to 90's contemporaries.   Later seeing their earlier works under different inkers (Aparo himself) made a world of difference. 

David Finch. I used to think his stuff was too over-rendered with everyone looking like they were on steroids. That aspect doesn’t bother me as much anymore, but I think my new opinion of him has more to do with the fact that he just flat out improved as an artist and storyteller than it does with me changing my tastes. 

On 8/12/2020 at 3:10 PM, comix4fun said:

Calling him the Kurt Cobain of comics is clearly an attempt to trigger me personally. 

I am not giving in to temptation. 

All Apologies 🎵 

On 8/13/2020 at 5:54 AM, Blastaar said:

I bet if we were all tasked to go find 10 copies of X force #1 within one hour most of us could do it.  

I just looked in a long comic box in my storage. 10 copies. Five minutes:

1 hour ago, grapeape said:

I just looked in a long comic box in my storage. 10 copies. Five minutes:

Was it a heart-shaped box?