• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unread is not a comic grade
3 3

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, siro123 said:

What are the lazy people on ebay doing ?

I'm starting to see people listing the comics as unread as the grade. 

UNREAD is not a comic grade.

Sad part is some of them are actually comic stores. How do they live with the shame ?rantrant Over

Even worse... The book is listed as NM/M and arrives with multiple defects. When you question the seller they say, "it can't have defects... it's unread" >:(

I sell books that havent even been looked at or touched in any manner.  I call em emperor's new clothes books-there's nothing there but since no one ever looks, no one knows so they just keep buyin em.  Thats how I sold all my Action #1's.

What does it matter what they call it? Grading is BS anyway, made up and way too subjective. Everyone posts photos, look and decide for yourself. Besides all they are saying is that its in great condition when they say "unread". It's like saying a record looks "unplayed", it just means it's in really great condition.

19 minutes ago, catman76 said:

What does it matter what they call it? Grading is BS anyway, made up and way too subjective. Everyone posts photos, look and decide for yourself. Besides all they are saying is that its in great condition when they say "unread". It's like saying a record looks "unplayed", it just means it's in really great condition.

Don't let that CGC collector's society subscription expire.

"Not only have I not read this book I have not even looked at it or thought about it!!"

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

lol :facepalm:

That is kind of my take on it.  I think it is a compact way of saying "No fingerprints or things that otherwise would not show up on picture scans."   

Mods notified.

9 hours ago, mec3437 said:

It's just a lazy- way to try and absolve themselves of the difficulty in grading something.  

No. Laziness may play a small part. Not wanting to educate themselves on even the generalities of grading, and being to lazy to do so. But I think deception plays a much larger part in the rationale to list books with conditions like, "Minty", "Holy Cow", "Unread", "Almost unread", "Pristine", "Wow, look at THIS OO", and the like rather than pinning themselves down to a specific grade. I think it's partially to deter returns. "You said NM and this book isn't even VF". I see the avoidance of using the standard grades that should be used for any sale of a book as running interference. In the "deliberate deception" category of excuses rather than the "Woe is me. I don't know how to grade and haven't a clue" category. 

The "I'm not a professional grader so decide for yourself" language usually included in these listings that don't bear a grade hold no water whatsoever. Anyone who sells a comic is a professional, whether selling once, or regularly, and the hobby being what it is, stressing condition with equal importance as the title and number of the issue itself, the grade is as important a detail for the seller to mention as if he was selling a car and disclosing the mileage. 

20 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Unread means "Excellent" condition.  What's the problem?

Says who? "Unread" just means it hasn't been read. It doesn't tell you anything about the actual condition at all. Lots of books hit the stands with spine dings and corner bends. No one ever read them, but they still aren't in excellent condition.

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Says who? "Unread" just means it hasn't been read. It doesn't tell you anything about the actual condition at all. Lots of books hit the stands with spine dings and corner bends. No one ever read them, but they still aren't in excellent condition.

You missed the whole point.  Unread is not a recognized, official comic condition.  Excellent is not a recognized, official comic condition either.  They are both meaningless as they are not defined.

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

No. Laziness may play a small part. Not wanting to educate themselves on even the generalities of grading, and being to lazy to do so. But I think deception plays a much larger part in the rationale to list books with conditions like, "Minty", "Holy Cow", "Unread", "Almost unread", "Pristine", "Wow, look at THIS OO", and the like rather than pinning themselves down to a specific grade. I think it's partially to deter returns. "You said NM and this book isn't even VF". I see the avoidance of using the standard grades that should be used for any sale of a book as running interference. In the "deliberate deception" category of excuses rather than the "Woe is me. I don't know how to grade and haven't a clue" category. 

The "I'm not a professional grader so decide for yourself" language usually included in these listings that don't bear a grade hold no water whatsoever. Anyone who sells a comic is a professional, whether selling once, or regularly, and the hobby being what it is, stressing condition with equal importance as the title and number of the issue itself, the grade is as important a detail for the seller to mention as if he was selling a car and disclosing the mileage. 

"this book is graded at L@@K!"

14 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

:screwy:

:makepoint:

Professional: engaged in an endeavor for payment.  

A paid occupation rather than a pastime.

Many of the sellers on ebay using non-hobby specific terms to describe their listed comics have hundreds, some even thousands of listings generating thousands of dollars worth of business monthly. I'd venture that would be considered their profession, to put food on the table and gas in the tank, rather than a pastime. 

Edited by James J Johnson

On 8/9/2020 at 11:44 AM, siro123 said:

What are the lazy people on ebay doing ?

I'm starting to see people listing the comics as unread as the grade. 

UNREAD is not a comic grade.

Sad part is some of them are actually comic stores. How do they live with the shame ?rantrant Over

Agree.  Reminds me of that unboxing video recently where the guy was incredulous that Fallout 4s didn't didn't come back 9.8 when they were still in the bag when submitted.  Just another form of salesmanship that adds nothing, like worthless commentary like "severely undergraded" etc on a graded book, which I unfortunately have seen on here as well.  If it's so under-graded, resubmit it, homie.