• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unread is not a comic grade
3 3

50 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This has been around as long as I've been collecting. Even as a kid, people would push "unread" as meaning the same thing as mint. I was talking to a friend of mine last year about the comics he had growing up, and he said they should be mint because they were "unread". His mind was blown when I explained to him that the majority of comics aren't even "mint" when they first hit the stands, due to the way they're printed, packed, shipped, and put out for sale. By the time you purchase a book off of the stands it doesn't matter if you leave it "unread", because by that point who knows how many hands have been on it?

Yup. That’s the easiest way to debunk the theory; every comic that arrives in, fresh from the wholesaler, is unread and therefore mint?  Not the way Diamond handled them.

Here’s an example of a courier delivery, very much in the style of a comic wholesaler such as Diamond.

As we can clearly see, the package as received would contain unread comic books, which are therefore all in mint condition.

Edited by Ken Aldred

19 minutes ago, wombat said:

Guys, you don't seem to understand. The words and pictures inside have NEVER been seen by human eyes. 

That would be unopened.  Technically one could check out all the pictures, and the book would remain unread. 

47 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That would be unopened.  Technically one could check out all the pictures, and the book would remain unread. 

Some artists are such great visual storytellers that you can get the gist of the story without reading the text boxes or word balloons.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

Some artists are such great visual storytellers that you can get the gist of the story without reading the text boxes or word balloons.

The status of the book would remain “unread”:makepoint:

14 minutes ago, Dave2739 said:

Any of you guys ever try reading Batman: Odyssey by Neal Adams? I wish I had left those in unread condition.

I tried.  Headache inducing. 

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The status of the book would remain “unread”:makepoint:

Isn't the reading experience of a comic book intended to be a synergy between words and pictures?

That's how I've always thought about it.

Edited by Ken Aldred

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Isn't the reading experience of a comic book intended to be a synergy between words and pictures?

Where’s the synergy without the words?

I guess the next logical step in this discussion would be to debate whether or not you can actually “read” comics that have no words.hm

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Where’s the synergy without the words?

I guess the next logical step in this discussion would be debate whether or not you can actually “read” comics that actually have no words.hm

It's a good point.  For example, someone will have considered GI Joe 21 as read, despite it being a silent issue.

Edited by Ken Aldred