• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Bud Plant on these boards?
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I am just throwing this out there. I have been buying quite a few books consigned at Mycomicshop from Bud Plant. That dealer has gorgeous Fawcett books, always what I am looking for, at really fair prices. If you are reading this, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you pricing to sell, and of course me buying them means it works :) Your books have reached a nice new home and a happy collector. All the best!

I don't think so. Bud is still around and dealing a bit. I remember back in the day, his was one of the first booths I hit at SDCC and WonderCon. He had his bookselling booth and a small one selling comics by his wife I believe. He has been collecting since the dawn of time and always had one of the most esoteric selection of books. I have many in my collection. Great guy to deal with and a true lover of the medium.

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I don't think so. Bud is still around and dealing a bit. I remember back in the day, his was one of the first booths I hit at SDCC and WonderCon. He had his bookselling booth and a small one selling comics by his wife I believe. He has been collecting since the dawn of time and always had one of the most esoteric selection of books. I have many in my collection. Great guy to deal with and a true lover of the medium.

I was gathering that from his selection. It's always stuff no one else has (and by that I  include E-bay, Heritage, and the rest) and at really reasonable prices. Like he wants to share his awesome finds with others who love these books. Glad to know he's similar to the idea of him I made up in my head. I still don't know where he finds these cool books in this era but I am happy to buy them from him. 

I don't really use that site but I have bought comics from Bud Plant at shows and he and his wife always have fun books. How do you search on what he has consigned? I can't seem to figure that out.

I was getting Bud's catalogs years ago and used to love coming home from San Diego with his massive catalog to page through.

10 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I was gathering that from his selection. It's always stuff no one else has (and by that I  include E-bay, Heritage, and the rest) and at really reasonable prices. Like he wants to share his awesome finds with others who love these books. Glad to know he's similar to the idea of him I made up in my head. I still don't know where he finds these cool books in this era but I am happy to buy them from him. 

He has been collecting since the dawn of time and has a massive collection.

16 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I don't really use that site but I have bought comics from Bud Plant at shows and he and his wife always have fun books. How do you search on what he has consigned? I can't seem to figure that out.

You can't. It's just that there are books I look for that no one else cares about much and I have them on my watchlist. Whenever they show up it happens to be from him, so I was hoping to reach out. 

14 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

He has been collecting since the dawn of time and has a massive collection.

Oh, so your saying these are all from his collection rather than him still purchasing other collections and books to resell? Man, I wonder what else he has in there. Also, how old do you think he is (just curious, from you guys talking this guy is turning all mythical to me)?

Edited by William-James88

25 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

You can't. It's just that there are books I look for that no one else cares about much and I have them on my watchlist. Whenever they show up it happens to be from him, so I was hoping to reach out. 

Oh, so your saying these are all from his collection rather than him still purchasing other collections and books to resell? Man, I wonder what else he has in there. Also, how old do you think he is (just curious, from you guys talking this guy is turning all mythical to me)?

Bud was born in 1952 and was one of the owners of Comics & Comix chain.  You can find him at budsartbooks.  He used to have a huge double sided booth at SDCC.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

I am just throwing this out there. I have been buying quite a few books consigned at Mycomicshop from Bud Plant. That dealer has gorgeous Fawcett books, always what I am looking for, at really fair prices. If you are reading this, I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you pricing to sell, and of course me buying them means it works :) Your books have reached a nice new home and a happy collector. All the best!

:idea:   Well, if you feel this way, have you ever considered simply contacting him directly to thank him since he does still operate some kind of mail order business?  

Especially since he might have a lot of other books right up your alley and I am also quite sure that he would be more than happy selling them directly to you without having to pay some kind of consignment fee to MCS to sell them to you on his behalf.  (thumbsu

9 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Bud was born in 1952 and was one of the owners of Comics & Comix chain.  You can find him at budsartbooks.  He used to have a huge double sided booth at SDCC.

For some reason this ad has always stuck with me from them....

C690FB99-42CA-490F-A2C9-2C426AE80C85.jpeg.ff29f67c6ede066ec4401aa85adac957.jpeg

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:   Well, if you feel this way, have you ever considered simply contacting him directly to thank him since he does still operate some kind of mail order business?  

I didnt know about this. I was hoping to find out more by writing this post. And it worked, thanks to you and Bitteroldman.

Edited by William-James88

On 8/9/2020 at 2:00 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Until he walked, Bud was one of the last long-time dealers still setting up at SDCC.  As I recall he threw in the towel around 4 or 5 years ago as the con’s increasingly high booth prices made meeting overhead costs and making a profit untenable.

I’ve known Bud for a longtime, since Houstoncon in ‘69 in fact.  When not in the dealer’s room we usually ended up hanging out with the late great Jerry Weist, publisher of the phenomenal Squa Tront at that time.  Bud was from California and Jerry from Kansas City.  I was on vacation with my parents from Oklahoma.  Attending this con was a high school graduation present.

Today, Bud conducts virtually all of his mail order business via internet with periodic emailings.  Bud does occasionally set up at smaller, collector friendly shows like the OAFCon in Oklahoma, ...when not in the midst of a pandemic.

Bud can probably be reached directly through his catalog service that’s linked below...

https://www.budsartbooks.com

I don’t think he has a website or sells vintage comic books directly on line. He would just have a small booth at a show where he was selling his main business’s books. 

I did see him walking around Terry’s last Yorba Linda show. He was still buying and is still a collector but has slowed down. 

Bud sells rare books and comic book related material with his long time partner Anne Hutchinson.  Bud and Anne usually have a booth with some comic books at the San Francisco Antiquarian Book Print & Paper Fair.  Try contacting Anne through the link below.

https://www.budsartbooks.com/sister-companies

Bud quit selling at SDCC in 2018.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2018/05/10/comic-con-pioneer-vendor-bud-plant-calls-it-quits-after-48-years/

I went to SDCC last year, but it did not feel the same.  Before that I attended in 2014 and the prior 25 years.  One year when I went looking for a parking space on preview night and had problems finding one, I knew the face of the convention had changed.  I used to be able to drive right into the convention center parking lot several hours before preview night and easily obtain a parking space.  Nowadays, the hotel rooms are $375 a night with a $50 per night parking charge, only for hotel guests.  I got the hotel room from a vendor buddy, who has early access to nearby hotels.  .

11 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Does Bud ever set up at the Berkeley Con?

I have never seen him at Berkeley Con and I have attended the vast majority.  I have seen A1 Comics, Terry O'Neill, Superworld, Harley, Bunky Brian among others.  Bud lives in Grass Valley, which is a 2+ hour drive on a good day.

Edited by BitterOldMan

I have ordered from Bud for a long time.  He is always at OAFCON and I often buy GA books from him.  I love hearing stories about his roots and early days of fandom.  He is about a decade older than me and I don't mean this to sound negative, he is such a grizzled veteran of collecting/fandom.  I still get his catalogs and order from his site.