• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Number written on cover

27 posts in this topic

Hello. I’m new to this and have a question regarding Incredible Hulk 181 I won in auction.  
it has a “14” written in the cover and circled. Otherwise the book is in great condition. 
question is will this get a green label or blue? The stamp is in tact. 
Also any guess on the grade? Thank you in advance. 

0D4370AB-B29B-43FC-85A9-1D6C842AB63A.jpeg

8A946FC6-2EF7-4FD0-A6D0-3DD54A33C60C.jpeg

Thanks for the response. I’m no expert and thought it’d be around a 6.0 as well just by looking at other same graded books, just wasn’t sure if it’ll be a green or blue label. I guess a green label would be missing something like the MVS or pages, therefore making it incomplete.

Also curious, how does writing like this effect the grade in general? A full grade reduction?

Thanks again for your input. 

Edited by Binh Tran

I'll start by saying, I'm not an expert grader, and I spend allot of time between here and the "hey buddy, can you spare a grade" area trying to get better.  Others, with more experience, may feel differently than me.  

Writing on the cover can have varying degrees of impact.  Is it written in pen or pencil? 

Something like this isn't to intrusive so I factored it in very little in the grading.  If it's written in pen, maybe I would want to be a little harder. 

If it was written in a magic marker that bled through the pages, that's a bigger problem. 

When you are looking at GA and SA books seeing names written on the covers was pretty common. Its just part of the books history and unless it's totally intrusive it's not a big detriment to the grade. 

If for whatever reason you desperately wanted a green label, you could probably ask for it and get a higher grade which ignores the writing.  But financially that would not be advisable.  With that being said, money isn’t everything and everyone has their own goals and priorities 

good luck

I prefer the blue label. Seems that’s what this book will get based on everyone’s comment.
I didn’t know we can request green/blue label? I thought that was entirely up to CGC based on the condition of the book?

11 hours ago, Binh Tran said:

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense. 
I’ll definitely send this book in to get graded.  Wondering if I should get it pressed and cleaned? Regardless I’ll update this thread once I get it back to let you know how it did. Appreciate all your input! 

I'm not seeing allot that a press would help with.

A press helps with no color breaking crease and a dry clean can take off things like dirt and maybe light pencil marks. Its pretty non abrasive. 

In some situations a quality press can make a huge difference. Other times it can be negligable and it can even hurt the book / grade. 

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'm not seeing allot that a press would help with.

A press helps with no color breaking crease and a dry clean can take off things like dirt and maybe light pencil marks. Its pretty non abrasive. 

In some situations a quality press can make a huge difference. Other times it can be negligable and it can even hurt the book / grade. 

A clean will probably benefit this book more. 
Thanks everyone for your input. 

In mid grades like this, a number written on the cover shouldn't affect the grade much unless it's prominent (LARGE) and/or written in magic marker or something else that causes bleed through on the cover.

So let's say CGC was between a 6.5 and a 7.0, the scale may be tipped to the lower grade because of the pen writing. I hope this helps, and congratulations. An attractive copy...  (thumbsu