• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Same scuff mark inside all slabs
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Noticed that ALL four slabs from my first CGC order ever, batch 1(of 3 tiers), ALL four have an INTERNAL scuff mark at the same location....lower right corner. Is this normal? It kind of bothers me, in fact disappointed considering the money spent, patience, and effort after sending out these raws for cleaning pressing to third party, and then eventually grading. Should I  complain? And if I resend for a re-slab, can they potentially get a lower grade?

IMG_2020-08-09_23-49-56.JPG

For sure you should complain

push them to get back whatever you can, up to and including reslab with shipping reimbursement 

4 minutes ago, Will78 said:

I'll never understand you anal retentive types. It's a little scratch, who gives as hit. 

CGC unintended consequences.

Perhaps there's a market for someone to found a new company, called CGCGC perhaps, that grades and encapsulates CGC slabs themselves. Slabs would lose points for case cracks, surface scuffs and other defects (like how some of the labels are kinda wavy... I hate that!). Clearly, slabs that demonstrate SCS or other post-encapsulation damage will get the equivalent of a green label from CGCGC...

:jokealert:

I do get the desire to have flawless slab cases for display, and I'm sure CGC will offer some sort of assistance here, but these are really tiny scratches, all things considered, surely?

52 minutes ago, Will78 said:

I'll never understand you anal retentive types. It's a little scratch, who gives as hit. 

CGC unintended consequences.

I personally wouldn't send them back but that makes me part of the problem in not holding the company responsible for poor QC issues.  Where is the line drawn with being "anal retentive" as you call it?  Newton rings are OK if they cover half the front?  25% newton rings?  Some scratching on the case? 

At the end of the day, its a service that should not send a product with any scratches especially all in the same location.

I've noticed that larger CGC shipments seem to have less scuffs than smaller shipments.

I had a 4 book value tier that I received and 3 out of the 4 books had scuffs or spots in the inner well. CGC reslabbed them for me but when they came back all three still had spots and scuffs so I decided to live with it. The slabs were rubber banded together and then wrapped in bubble wrap so I think the slabs rattled together during the shipment.

I received a 19 and 13 book shipment in the bigger boxes where they are shipped vertically and separated with a piece of cardboard and there were much fewer slabs scratched and scuffed.

I posted on the boards about it a few months ago any many others seem to have similar experiences...