• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's the bottom line on Ebay "managed sales"?
1 1

68 posts in this topic

Now that Ebay is "managing" sales and paying sellers directly, do sellers actually keep a little bit more of the money from their sales?

It used to be that Ebay took their percentage and then Paypal took their percentage of the sale.  As I recall the total was somewhere between 12% & 13%.  So now that Paypal has been cut out of the mix, is the total more like 10%.

I know I can find this all out over on ebay by digging and doing some reading, but thought someone might have a quick answer over here.

All I know is that they said if I did not do it by July 15th they would stop me from selling anything.

I want to see what happens. 

The total % is the same as it was.  EBay takes PayPal's 3%, which was the whole idea.  You wait a couple of days longer for your money.  You pay your Final Value Fees on the fly, instead of being billed. 

This purportedly cataclysmic event is really nothing at all, no big deal.  The "Chicken Littles" of the world have been squawking for nothing, as usual, dreaming up all the possible bad scenarios that "could" happen or "might" happen.  That DON'T happen.

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

The total % is the same as it was.  EBay takes PayPal's 3%, which was the whole idea.  You wait a couple of days longer for your money.  You pay your Final Value Fees on the fly, instead of being billed. 

This purportedly cataclysmic event is really nothing at all, no big deal.  The "Chicken Littles" of the world have been squawking for nothing, as usual, dreaming up all the possible bad scenarios that "could" happen or "might" happen.  That DON'T happen.

You forgot the part where you can no longer have sales deposited directly into PayPal (if that was your original method) and now must provide eBay with a bank account #.

Also, at least when using PayPal, the time for money to show up was instantly, so "a couple of days longer" is quite a bit longer, especially if you have to ship before the money arrives for the item.

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

You forgot the part where you can no longer have sales deposited directly into PayPal (if that was your original method) and now must provide eBay with a bank account #.

Also, at least when using PayPal, the time for money to show up was instantly, so "a couple of days longer" is quite a bit longer, especially if you have to ship before the money arrives for the item.

Yes, I did forget to mention those very low hurdles.  They were so insignificant - that's why I forgot.  It's not a big deal, a bit annoying.  A quick adjustment and it's in the rear view. 

And before, if you wanted your sales proceeds to end up IN your bank account, you had to wait anyway for the PayPal transfer.

14 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:
2 hours ago, manetteska said:

Yes, I did forget to mention those very low hurdles.  They were so insignificant - that's why I forgot.  It's not a big deal, a bit annoying.  A quick adjustment and it's in the rear view. 

And before, if you wanted your sales proceeds to end up IN your bank account, you had to wait anyway for the PayPal transfer.

You're a real special guy, aren't you?

Sorry other people's problems are very low hurdles to you, when, in actuality, for those other people, they may be large hurdles.

Keep on thinking about ol' #1.

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

You're a real special guy, aren't you?

Sorry other people's problems are very low hurdles to you, when, in actuality, for those other people, they may be large hurdles.

Keep on thinking about ol' #1.

I'm thinking of the general populous, the average eBay user.  There will always be exceptions in either direction.

This change was announced over a year ago.  Certainly enough lead time to make preparations, squirrel away a few bucks for any bumps.  When you don't prepare, you own the consequences.

Just switched last week and I hate it. I'm used to seeing money immediately in my paypal account.

sales from 8/6 finally processed for deposit today but don't know when they will show up in my bank account. Not to mention sales from 8/7, 8/8 and 8/9. 

Will need to adjust my listings moving forward and will probably sell more on the boards/instagram if possible

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

Just switched last week and I hate it. I'm used to seeing money immediately in my paypal account.

sales from 8/6 finally processed for deposit today but don't know when they will show up in my bank account. Not to mention sales from 8/7, 8/8 and 8/9. 

Will need to adjust my listings moving forward and will probably sell more on the boards/instagram if possible

As a seller, how do we know when to ship something now?  I don't want to ship unless I know the money is in my account.

57 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

As a seller, how do we know when to ship something now?  I don't want to ship unless I know the money is in my account.

you are supposed to ship once payment is received (by ebay). you can use pending funds to pay for your label.

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Does it show you how the buyer paid through the managed payments system? 

No, it just shows that eBay has been paid, no details.  It also shows the fees paid, and your amount, pending transfer to your account.

For instance, sales from the 6th showed as pending.  Those funds were "sent" from eBay on the 7th.  In my bank account and available on the 8th, a Saturday.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

If you don't trust the system and want to be sure your funds are in your possession before you ship, you can set your handling time to a longer period to compensate.  Then you ship when cleared, if you prefer to do that.  Later, if you get more comfortable with it, you can tighten it up a bit.

It's a wash more or less, the add on is less than paypal, 2.3% vs. 2.9%, but there is an added 30 cents per listing sold instead of per order. Paypal now rolls in the sales tax charged into their total selling fee , whereas before you only had to pay the paypal fee.

So one item sold for $100 (inc. shipping) with no sales tax charged will cost you $12.60 in fees vs. $13.20 before.

10 listings that add up to $100 (inc. shipping) to the same buyer and have $10 in sales tax will cost you $16.53 in fees vs. $13.49 before. 

EBay also requests your SSN# if your not a full fledged business and don't have a business ID.

I'm just not thrilled with the processing time that ebay can take to deposit your funds.  Am I understanding from previous post that the fees are taken out at the time of the transaction?

So, no more cumulative ebay fees invoice monthly?

Edited by FoomMember
Mispell

18 minutes ago, FoomMember said:

EBay also requests your SSN# if your not a full fledged business and don't have a business ID.

I'm just not thrilled with the processing time that ebay can take to deposit your funds.  Am I understanding from previous post that the fees are taken out at the time of the transaction?

So, no more cumulative ebay fees invoice monthly?

Yes, eBay needs the SSN to comply with money laundering laws. PayPal required it too, but it was probably so long ago that you might have forgotten that process.

There is a lag to get your funds.  This is industry standard for processing fees, but PayPal got us all a bit spoiled by having it available instantly.  It's like when you get a new job after not having worked for a while.  You start on a Monday and don't get paid that Thursday or Friday, like everyone else does (sad emoji).  But you get paid the next time around and regularly from there.  When you leave that job, you get paid one more time after you've left, even though you weren't there.  It all evens out.  But it is agreed that the early stage can be tough.

Yes, the fees are taken out as you go.  If you have store, the subscription is still taken out using the old monthly method, whatever you had set up.  Or any other fixed costs, like if you had some type of monthly subscriptions at eBay.  I don't have those, so I only know of the store thing not coming out on the fly.  If you are top rated and get a 10% discount on your FVF's, that is applied on the fly, too.  Probably promoted listing fees would come out as each applicable item sells. 

I don't know when they charge for listing fees, like if you go beyond any free listing allowance.  I would suspect it's charged right when you list.  They can't wait until it sells to charge you - could be months.  But they may add to the monthly thing, just not sure.  Maybe someone else can speak to that.