• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printed Ebay Label Without adding weight and dimensions
1 1

12 posts in this topic

In my haste to ship a book that I sold on Ebay (closed Saturday night) which was shipping USPS Priority Mail, I printed the mailing label on Sunday without adding the weight and dimensions.  I had already packaged the book since it had a bid and I knew it would sell.

I purchased the label which was $9.99.  I hadn't pre-set (if that is even possible a box size or saved the weight and dimensions).  I took it to the PO yesterday (Sunday) to drop it in the parcel collection receptacle.  

Nothing new shows on the tracking - my question if anyone knows, what will happen with this book.  I am unable to go back to the PO to ask and not sure they would or could dig it out.  

I replicated a similar box with book and actually the shipping cost is the same when I used Ebay's shipping calculator.

Am I screwed?

Edited by telerites

1 minute ago, telerites said:

In my haste to ship a book that I sold on Ebay (closed Saturday night) which was shipping USPS Priority Mail, I printed the mailing label on Sunday without adding the weight and dimensions.  I had already packaged the book since it had a bid and I knew it would sell.

I purchased the label which was $9.99.  I hadn't pre-set (if that is even possible a box size or saved the weight and dimensions).  I took it to the PO yesterday (Sunday) to drop it in the parcel collection receptacle.  

Nothing new shows on the tracking - my question if anyone knows, what will happen with this book.  I am unable to go back to the PO to ask and not sure they would or could dig it out.  

They'll figure it out and charge you the difference--or won't.  Has happened to me several times when I entered wrong numbers or used a flat rate box by accident or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

They'll figure it out and charge you the difference--or won't.  Has happened to me several times when I entered wrong numbers or used a flat rate box by accident or something like that.

So will it be returned to me or do I get notified in some way?  I hate that the buyer would have to wait long.

10 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

It'll show up as a label adjustment in eBay.  Won't be returned.

Well that is painless.  I did this once before but I caught it after I purchased it but before I took it to the PO.  I requested a refund through Ebay of the erroneous one and eventually got refunded.  I think it had to show as being unused for a certain amount of time before I got my refund.

Since I had already taken this package, I thought I might be screwed and the package would sit in USPS obligatory. 

Thanks.

When you posted the listing, the weight is one of the fields you had to fill in.  That is where the label system "looks" to get the weight.  So you actually did "preset" it, in a way.

You can't print a label without the weight, it will give you an error, and/or prompt for the weight. 

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

When you posted the listing, the weight is one of the fields you had to fill in.  That is where the label system "looks" to get the weight.  So you actually did "preset" it, in a way.

You can't print a label without the weight, it will give you an error, and/or prompt for the weight. 

I so rarely sell on Ebay and that would make sense.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

When you posted the listing, the weight is one of the fields you had to fill in. 

3 hours ago, Gaard said:

This is incorrect.

Actually now that I think about it, both conditions are correct.  If you are posting something with a flat shipping charge like $6.95 anywhere, the weight would be irrelevant.  If you post something that has calculated shipping involved, the weight has to be included for there to be a computation of the cost.

On 8/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, telerites said:

I replicated a similar box with book and actually the shipping cost is the same when I used Ebay's shipping calculator.

Am I screwed?

The PO has told me, and I have had it happen on a couple of occasions over the past two years, that if there is a discrepancy in the price paid and actual price they will charge the account that paid for the label.

Also as a side note I recently got a partial refund for a label that had been actually lighter than what I entered as a weight, that was a Wait, wha??!! moment.

4 minutes ago, GACollectibles said:

The PO has told me, and I have had it happen on a couple of occasions over the past two years, that if there is a discrepancy in the price paid and actual price they will charge the account that paid for the label.

Also as a side note I recently got a partial refund for a label that had been actually lighter than what I entered as a weight, that was a Wait, wha??!! moment.

Thanks Andrew.  :hi:

From the tracking, it shows it was accepted and is in transit.

So I guess with the amount I paid it was at least enough.