• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Screwed up a Priority Mail Package, Is there a fix

16 posts in this topic

I screwed up and mailed out a CGC slab to a person that bought it from me.  They had told me not to ship it to them until they told me to.  I just realized the mistake now and according to the tracking it is expected delivery Wednesday.

I sent them a PM and an email (to the paypal address email), but fear I will not get any response and time is running out.

I am off to the post office with the tracking receipt and will try and upgrade the package to signature required, that should prevent the book from being left there.  I'm doubting they will allow me to do the upgrade though.

It is a semi rare book and has considerable value, it was insured for $300.  Hoping that the post office will be able to do something to prevent it from being dumped on the person's front steps.

Anybody ever deal with this mistake and know of a fix?

I've asked this exact question before and was told that signature confirmation must be added at the time of the label purchase.  They can always refund the label and create a new one at the post office, but once it is shipped you can't change it.  That is what I was told at least.  I will say that I have only mailed about a dozen books in the last 5 years.  Would be less than that but I keep getting @RCheli 's drek accidentally sent to me!

3 minutes ago, Warren Oates said:

I screwed up and mailed out a CGC slab to a person that bought it from me.  They had told me not to ship it to them until they told me to.  I just realized the mistake now and according to the tracking it is expected delivery Wednesday.

I sent them a PM and an email (to the paypal address email), but fear I will not get any response and time is running out.

I am off to the post office with the tracking receipt and will try and upgrade the package to signature required, that should prevent the book from being left there.  I'm doubting they will allow me to do the upgrade though.

It is a semi rare book and has considerable value, it was insured for $300.  Hoping that the post office will be able to do something to prevent it from being dumped on the person's front steps.

Anybody ever deal with this mistake and know of a fix?

Are they on vacation or something? Can it not sit in the mailbox/PO box/etc. until they get back?

15 minutes ago, SkOw said:

I've asked this exact question before and was told that signature confirmation must be added at the time of the label purchase.  They can always refund the label and create a new one at the post office, but once it is shipped you can't change it.  That is what I was told at least.  I will say that I have only mailed about a dozen books in the last 5 years.  Would be less than that but I keep getting @RCheli 's drek accidentally sent to me!

Drek? DREK! That was the finest of mid-grade, common Silver Age DCs! Worth their weight in (fool's) gold!

Last year I accidentally mailed a package to the wrong address. I realized this before it was delivered, and I was able to stop it and have it returned to me.

If I remember correctly, this cost about $22.00, plus postage to the correct address. But it was a lot cheaper than refunding the buyer.

8 hours ago, wombat said:

I do wonder about signature required these days in general. Is that being enforced?

I have signature required for all my packages.  The only one that follows it is FedEx.  USPS and UPS ignore and either drop the packages without knocking/ringing or ding dong ditch.

I have opened my door to stuff that should NOT be left on a doorstep (PC parts mainly).

On 8/10/2020 at 11:05 PM, Crops068 said:

I have signature required for all my packages.  The only one that follows it is FedEx.  USPS and UPS ignore and either drop the packages without knocking/ringing or ding dong ditch.

I have opened my door to stuff that should NOT be left on a doorstep (PC parts mainly).

Funny timing. I was getting a case of wine delivered yesterday by FedEx that needed a signature. Ran out for 5 minutes and of course missed them. They left a note they would try again today. By the time I got to the door today after they rung the bell the guy was already in his truck. So 50/50 for FedEx. 

1 minute ago, wombat said:

Funny timing. I was getting a case of wine delivered yesterday by FedEx that needed a signature. Ran out for 5 minutes and of course missed them. They left a note they would try again today. By the time I got to the door today after they rung the bell the guy was already in his truck. So 50/50 for FedEx. 

That drives me nuts.  So I have gotten to know the UPS guy, I think he knows when I am home based on my car being in the driveway.  So that is not as big a deal. Shoot, my UPS guy had one of my signing books on his truck, I was going outta town for work and knew I would miss him.  So I hunted him down a couple neighborhoods over and said "hey you got a box for me?"  Sure enough he walked it over and handed it right off.

Amazon though, I have been round and round with them about their drivers not knocking or ringing my doorbell like is requested in my account.