• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest grading surprise you've gotten from CGC
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I had two, each way.

A Marvel Special Edition 15 which I thought was a 7.0. It got a 9.0. Close second was an ASM129, which i pegged for a 7.5... it got a 9.4.

On the flip side, an ASM20 which I thought was a 5.0. It came back a 0.5... poster missing. D'oh! They call me Mr. Meticulous. LOL 

And an X-Men 16 which I thought was a 6.0. It got a 3.0. I was too embarrassed to look up the notes... but I'm guessing I missed some water stains. doh!

And you? 

I remember the loss, a detective 523 that I thought was 8.5 9.0 came back 6.5 nearly melted my heart away it was such a gasp lol

And hmmmm hm not sure that I've gone the other way, perhaps my recent ASM 601, that was advertised a 6.0 by a LCS and I was happy with that bought it at the price, never took it out cause thought it couldn't be worse lol

Came back an 8.0....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I had two, each way.

A Marvel Special Edition 15 which I thought was a 7.0. It got a 9.0. Close second was an ASM129, which i pegged for a 7.5... it got a 9.4.

On the flip side, an ASM20 which I thought was a 5.0. It came back a 0.5... poster missing. D'oh! They call me Mr. Meticulous. LOL 

And an X-Men 16 which I thought was a 6.0. It got a 3.0. I was too embarrassed to look up the notes... but I'm guessing I missed some water stains. doh!

And you? 

I have really only submitted high grade coppers/moderns so I've really only gotten 9.6s and 9.8s and haven't been surprised by any of those either way.

Did recently get a 9.9 surprise, and i certainly can't tell the difference between a 9.9 and many of my 9.8s, so I guess that's it.

I have the lowest grade on census for Spider-Man meets Spider-Man 2099 #nn

A readers crease on back cover knocked it down to 8.5. 
I missed it... but honestly it was very mild. I think a grader had a bad day. I sold the book for a loss and moved on, as it wasn’t worth resubmitting.

My best surprise was my Batman 136 (1960) I expected 5.5, I got a 6.5. This was mostly due to an amazing press/clean job by CFP.

I got a press surprise.  Sent my hulk 181 when I first discovered cgc and got a 6.5 about 7 years ago.  I was heart broken. Typical first submission rookie mistake and thought the book was a 9.4...  :kidaround:.   

resent it this past November when I learned about pressing when I was going to submit for Todd father.  Came back an 8!  :applause:

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

I got a press surprise.  Sent my hulk 181 when I first discovered cgc and got a 6.5 about 7 years ago.  I was heart broken. Typical first submission rookie mistake and thought the book was a 9.4...  :kidaround:.   

resent it this past November when I learned about pressing when I was going to submit for Todd father.  Came back an 8!  :applause:

Awesome... a low and a high... on the same book! :)

The worst surprise I ever got was one of my first submissions.  I bought a "VF" TTA 24. Even without a lot of grading experience, I knew it wasn't VF, but was expecting F. 

I got a purple label 4.0

I was pretty devastated at the time. The silver lining is,  it wasn't too costly of a mistake and I learned allot about spotting restoration and grading because of that. 

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

a batman 523 that I thought was 8.5 9.0 came back 6.5

CGC can do what it wants!

So far the furthest off I've had CGC grade anything form what I thought pre-submission was 1.5 points. It was in a batch of 9 pre-hero Marvels that I felt were in the 7.0-8.0 range, that I sent in around a decade ago. They came back 7.0-7.5, except for one 6.0, which I had felt was a 7.5. (shrug)

I've sent in a couple of GA books over the years that I thought there was a 50/50 chance were trimmed, but wasn't sure, though it can be very hard to tell the way some books from the era were manufactured, odd cuts abound. Both came back in Universal holders. Maybe not a "surprise", but a relief.

55 minutes ago, god503 said:

Wowsa

Nice

Most of what I submit is Modern, and it's hard to get too excited or depressed about 9.6/9.8 wobbling, although I've been pretty happy with my hit rate here lately. I did have a limited-run variant of a book that almost no one cares about that I really thought was gonna get a 9.6... but I missed a soft defect on the back cover that blended in with the design. So it got knocked ... all the way down to a 9.4.

Still can't complain too much, as even that makes it top of the census, haha!

3 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Both of mine involve resto.

Worst: Sent in an X-men 8, thought it was a 9.0. Came back 9.2 purple (C-1).

Best: Sent in a purple DD 168 9.6 (C-1) for a signing. Came back signed, 9.6 blue.

(shrug)

Man, I forgot about those. Sent a Silver Surfer 1 in. Thought it was a 6.0. It was... but it was also a PLOD. Erg. 

And then I had this:

Sent in a TTA27 midgrader. Prescreened. They said it had color touch. doh!

BUT... they could remove the CT. 

Came back a blue 4.5. Yay! :)