• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Biggest grading surprise you've gotten from CGC
1 1

52 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember the loss, a batman 523 that I thought was 8.5 9.0 came back 6.5 nearly melted my heart away it was such a gasp lol

And hmmmm hm not sure that I've gone the other way, perhaps my recent ASM 601, that was advertised a 6.0 by a LCS and I was happy with that bought it at the price, never took it out cause thought it couldn't be worse lol

Came back an 8.0....

Just curious, why would you send a Batman 523?

57 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Both of mine involve resto.

Worst: Sent in an X-men 8, thought it was a 9.0. Came back 9.2 purple (C-1).

Best: Sent in a purple DD 168 9.6 (C-1) for a signing. Came back signed, 9.6 blue.

(shrug)

That purple becoming a blue is really baffling to me. I'm happy for you of course, but I don't get it.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Just curious, why would you send a Batman 523?

That purple becoming a blue is really baffling to me. I'm happy for you of course, but I don't get it.

Sorry about that, I meant detective 523

3 hours ago, god503 said:

I got a press surprise.  Sent my hulk 181 when I first discovered cgc and got a 6.5 about 7 years ago.  I was heart broken. Typical first submission rookie mistake and thought the book was a 9.4...  :kidaround:.   

resent it this past November when I learned about pressing when I was going to submit for Todd father.  Came back an 8!  :applause:

I had the reverse where I sent a Hulk 181 PGX 6.5 to Joe to press and it came back a 9.0 from CGC.  That was a pleasant surprise.  I thought it was better than a 6.5 when I bought it but never knew it was that much better. 

Not sent in a bunch myself but my favs are my UF4, bought off the shelf on release and removed from the poly about a year ago.  Subbed it with the thoughts it was at best a 9.0.  Pressed it of course.  Came back a 9.8!

And my 2nd fav is a newstand ASM 252, bought it from a shop years ago for $25.  Figured at best an 8.0, pressed it also.  Came back a 9.4.

And my favorite.  Infinity Gauntlet #1, bought off the shelf from a shop as a kid, while my dad was next door trying to sell to the pizza place.  Had it signed by Rubinstein last year at Fan Expo, came back a 9.8.  Sent it in for Perez signing this year, you guessed it, pressed again.  Came back again a 9.8! :banana:

I sent x-men #29 that was in a PGX slab 9.2 OW - Came back CGC 9.4 white:banana:

Star Wars #1 35 Cent variant - both my self and the seller pegged it raw about a 3.5 - came back 6.5:whee: on the downside no "variant' noted on the label despite clearly marking the invoice as variant:pullhair:

My missed downgrades were mostly on my first submission, after that it is a 9.8 pre-screen unless it is a key.

Never understood slabbing 9.6 or less on bronze and up, unless it is a key, why bother? Even ASM #361 or Hulk #340 or Mononknight  #1, etc.  So damn common why waste time on 9.6?

3 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:

Never understood slabbing 9.6 or less on bronze and up, unless it is a key, why bother? Even ASM #361 or Hulk #340 or Mononknight  #1, etc.  So damn common why waste time on 9.6?

Especially when you could like a raw ASM 361 for the value of a 9.4/9.6 and someone will still pay that thinking they can squeeze a 9.8 out of it (or get it signed and then squeeze a 9.8 out of it).

Had a recent sub x men 266 thought it was 9.4-9.2 came back 8.0. You win some you lose some... 

had a ff48 come back 8.0 when I thought  it was 6 at best 

1 hour ago, october said:

I sent in an Iron Fist 14 that I thought was 8.5/9.0 and it came back a 9.8. I counted 14 spine tics when I got it back. (shrug)

I just bought a Hughes Harley Quinn #1 variant in a cgc 9.8 case that is the same.