• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just signed up, trying to figure out what to do next...

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm so new at this i just learned what raw and cgc are yesterday.

I'm not a collector but bought some comics as a teenager back in the mid to late 80s, read some, never opened most, put them in bags, and stored them in two comic book boxes at my parents for maybe a decade.  The last 20+ years they stayed in those boxes inside moving boxes in my garage and I forgot all about them.  I started cleaning out my garage a couple of weeks ago and opened up the boxes and found them.

Yesterday I started going through them and looking for what they sell for on eBay.  95% of them are not DC or Marvel and have no value.  There's a few with possibly a little value like a couple of 1st print Dark Horse Aliens #1.  Looking those up is when I stumbled across sales with official CGC rated comics which led me here.  I also found a Crow #1.  I never read them or opened them.  They look like they're brand new.

I don't plan on buying or collecting comics.  Just want to sell the few I have and move on.

Seems like it makes sense to get the Aliens and Crow #1 rated.  I do have the entire Aliens series and a bunch of other Dark Horse stuff as well.

As for some of the other stuff should I post pictures of them in forums for feedback on if it makes sense to send them in to cgc?

Thanks

16 hours ago, Trudat said:

Hi, I'm so new at this i just learned what raw and cgc are yesterday.

I'm not a collector but bought some comics as a teenager back in the mid to late 80s, read some, never opened most, put them in bags, and stored them in two comic book boxes at my parents for maybe a decade.  The last 20+ years they stayed in those boxes inside moving boxes in my garage and I forgot all about them.  I started cleaning out my garage a couple of weeks ago and opened up the boxes and found them.

Yesterday I started going through them and looking for what they sell for on eBay.  95% of them are not DC or Marvel and have no value.  There's a few with possibly a little value like a couple of 1st print Dark Horse Aliens #1.  Looking those up is when I stumbled across sales with official CGC rated comics which led me here.  I also found a Crow #1.  I never read them or opened them.  They look like they're brand new.

I don't plan on buying or collecting comics.  Just want to sell the few I have and move on.

Seems like it makes sense to get the Aliens and Crow #1 rated.  I do have the entire Aliens series and a bunch of other Dark Horse stuff as well.

As for some of the other stuff should I post pictures of them in forums for feedback on if it makes sense to send them in to cgc?

Thanks

The best place would be to contact these guys: https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/consignmentterms

They will help you sell them on their site and will even send to CGC on your behalf if hey think it's worth sending in.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

The best place would be to contact these guys: https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/consignmentterms

They will help you sell them on their site and will even send to CGC on your behalf if hey think it's worth sending in.

Thanks, I think working with them makes sense given I have zero experience with selling comics.

After doing a bit of research on what highly rated comics look like and defects that bring down the rating I took a careful look at some of the comics I had that typically sell on eBay in $30 to $100 range. 

I think there's small defects on almost all of the comics I looked at in that range.  It just doesn't seem cost effective to send in comics that would likely rate between 8.0 to 9.4 but need a 9.6 or 9.8 to even sell in the $30 to $100 range.

I'm going to send in a few Modern tier, that look better than the others, directly to CGC.  Based on that experience I should get a better sense of how I want to proceed with the Crow #1.

Understanding grading  somewhat is pretty important here. The odds of you having value in such recent material is frankly, unlikely. Modern stuff needs to really be flawless and flawless is actually hard to achieve without seeing a lot of actual examples of flawless. . Use the  "buddy can you spare a grade" with some photos before you put money into slabs of comics.  Take a look at what some of the sites selling comics would be asking for the better stuff you have. 

5 hours ago, Deadpoolica said:

I would send that Crow 1 in for sure unless it is in poor shape

You can always post in the "hey buddy can you spare a grade" section with pics of it to get somewhat of an ideal of the grade

Thanks, I'll try that with the Crow comic.

5 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

Understanding grading  somewhat is pretty important here. The odds of you having value in such recent material is frankly, unlikely. Modern stuff needs to really be flawless and flawless is actually hard to achieve without seeing a lot of actual examples of flawless. . Use the  "buddy can you spare a grade" with some photos before you put money into slabs of comics.  Take a look at what some of the sites selling comics would be asking for the better stuff you have. 

I agree, when I first saw what a few of the ones I have were selling for I was surprised.  Then when I put on the old guy reading glasses & looked really close I started to see the flaws.