• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art and Comic Show status?

16 posts in this topic

My understanding is that there is still a live comic art show in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ on Aug. 23rd. Is that correct?

Does anyone know of the status of other shows where art or artists may appear, besides NYC, in the comic months?

4 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Art con for 8/26 has been postponed due to the NJ governors rule of 25% capacity. Hopefully cases remain low next month so that rule will change.

They should revise their website and point out it has been cancelled.

I think that in the near future, something like the Huntington Beach Art Show is the future.  Open air tent/booths with art displayed.   The bros were there and they had a really nice tent/booth.  I  only caught the end of the last one to try to meet Brubaker and Phillips.  There were only a few original comic art booths but it was a nice atmosphere and I would feel very comfortable and safe with that kind of thing.

There's a lot of overhead in putting up tents, etc.  So probably not worth it for a 1 or even 2 day art show. 

I wonder if it would be legal to set up tables in a parking deck ??

Or find a hotel/motel with multiple rooms for rent to keep people spread out (i.e. within occupancy rules).  Hotels probably aren't hosting too many events and having a lowly comic book show might be worth it to them.

In NJ, the governor rolled back occupancy limits.  It is now 25 persons or 25% of maximum room occupancy, whichever is lower.

Using the 25 person limit, if you have 10 vendors, that only leaves room for 15 attendees at a time.  You may have to wait for people to leave before you can enter. 

As such, it may not be worth setting up a show at any venue.

I believe Puggy's monthly comic shows in NJ is having this problem. 

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

2 hours ago, NelsonAI said:

In NJ, the governor rolled back occupancy limits.

There are other states in the (greater) area that are considerably less restrictive.

I'd suggest a combination of creativity meeting opportunity for outside-the-box-thinking organizers could work out well for everybody (with access to cars anyway).

Perhaps all a bit late for 2020, as regular heavy snowfall can begin as early as December, but maybe an idea  for next spring/summer?

The places with the strictest definition of things now will probably have them next year too.

Another weekend without a convention..?! NOPE cause...

This WEEKEND (AUGUST 14-16) there’s MAINFRAME COMIC CON to attend…and ADMISSION is FREE ! !

Will's COMIC ART PAGE will be digitally setting up at Mainframe Comic Con, under ‘Original Art Dealers’ ! !

Regular show hours are 12:00 Noon EST SATURDAY thru 8:00 PM EST SUNDAY BUT there's a special PREVIEW FRIDAY EVENING ! !

C’mon through and look around, enjoy yourself and pick up something new…

p.s. --you'll find the set-up/navigation similar to Comic Art Live as Bill Cox is behind this show as well 

Best regards,
Will Gabri-El
www.ComicArtPage.com

I can’t speak for anyone else, of course, but the absence of physical conventions is reducing my collecting drive, at least for now. Part of the fun is going to shows and meeting artists and other collectors, as well as seeing art “in the flesh”. While the Boards and other art venues help, they aren’t a real substitute. Anyone else feel that way? 

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

... CAF and web-borne friendships, and staying in touch with artists directly,  and indirectly via the internet have been far more crucial for my collecting  ...

This is a wise collecting approach, and I always do this for a nice chunk of my additions each year. I still buy from eBay, HA, CL, and dealers/reps as well .... as the one thing I have learned is that you have to always be watching anywhere art is sold because you never know what and where good art will surface. I like the grind of the hobby and I like meeting folks of a like mind with many friendships made this way that extends past just a shared interest. 

Edited by JadeGiant

5 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I haven’t bought art in person at a show in over a decade. 

I feel like the at-show purchases are more likely to be impulse buys than true collecting goals, personally speaking.  Money in pocket. Stuff that’s kinda cool available. Not wanting trip to feel like a waste. Formula for buying meh.

Most of my true cornerstone pieces were bought early, or in more recent years, by way of making friends with collectors of a shared interest, and getting a heads up on certain pieces as they came available. CAF and web-borne friendships, and staying in touch with artists directly,  and indirectly via the internet have been far more crucial for my collecting now, than anything else.

I don’t generally buy art at shows, except commissions and sketches, but going is what I find invigorating. I miss it. 

On 8/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, Peter L said:

I think that in the near future, something like the Huntington Beach Art Show is the future.  Open air tent/booths with art displayed.   The bros were there and they had a really nice tent/booth.  I  only caught the end of the last one to try to meet Brubaker and Phillips.  There were only a few original comic art booths but it was a nice atmosphere and I would feel very comfortable and safe with that kind of thing. 

With outdoor humidity being so high, I don't think you'd get the same calibur of art on display here in NJ.... not now anyway

4 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

With outdoor humidity being so high,

And then a few hours later you bring the art right back to indoor climate control and the paper releases the moisture again. Paper is organic matter...it breathes. No biggie.